Chickpea Apple Salad is fall perfect. Apples and garbanzo beans combined with pumpkin seeds and cranberries. Even the dressing has some great fall flavours.
If you love warm fall spices, these Apple Cranberry Scones are a must-try.
This healthy apple salad recipe is sweet, tart, crunchy, protein-packed, vegan-friendly and gluten-free too. Great for weekday lunches. Awesome for brunch too.
Harvest Turkey Wrap is another great fall recipe. The perfect way to use leftover holiday turkey.
Are you excited for apple season? I sure am. Crisp, juicy, fresh-picked right from the orchard. A sure sign of fall. Just what I need for apple oatmeal muffins, perfect for breakfast.
Or how about toffee apple muffins? A healthy alternative to those fun candy apples.
I am a mild weather girl, but I just happen to love the flavours of fall. The warm spices, cozy soups and stews, everything pumpkin, and of course apple season.
Ontario has loads of great orchards to visit. I am so lucky I am surrounded by them. In only a few minutes I can drive to 4 different orchards.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this apple and chickpea salad can be found at the bottom of this post.
We often have salads for dinner. There are so many healthy recipes to make, and this easy chickpea salad is the best ever.
Here’s What You Need For This Chickpea Apple Salad:
- Fresh Apples – this apple salad will be great with any variety you choose.
- Dried Cranberries – the perfect fall ingredient. Adds that sweet tart flavour.
- Pumpkin Seeds – a great way to add nutriton and crunch.
- Chickpeas – you can use canned or cook from scratch.
- Lemon Juice – every salad needs a squeeze of lemon.
- Olive Oil – a healthy base to any salad dressing.
- Pomegranate Balsamic – what a wonderful addition to the fall flavour profile.
- Pomegranate Molasses – perfect way to add some sweentess to the mix.
- Apple Balsamic – if you have never tried flavoured balsmics, you are in for a treat.
- Cinnamon– the finishing touch to this delicious vinaigrette.
Making This Fall Salad Is Easy
- Chop up some apples (skin on) and toss them into a mixing bowl.
- Add some pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries (all those FALL flavours).
- Add some chickpeas (great protein).
- Toss everything into a bowl with a squeeze of lemon.
- For the dressing, I used (affiliate) apple balsamic, pomegranate balsamic, pomegranate molasses, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Mix these with a bit of regular extra virgin olive oil and you have a tasty sweet/tart vinegrette to tie in all the seasonal flavours.
- It is the perfect way to start your day. YES, I do eat this for breakfast.
- The perfect additon to the weekend brunch menu.
- Add it to yogurt with a touch of maple syrup for a bit of added sweetness.
- Pack it into containers, and lunch is ready for the week.
- Have it as a snack when you get home from the gym or school.
- Use it as a topping over ice cream for dessert.
- Stuff it into a wrap for a delicious sandwich idea.
- The perfect Thanksgiving salad recipe!!
Additional Chickpea Recipes
There are numerous ways to enjoy garbanzo beans, especially if you are trying to incorporate some meatless meals into your diet.
- Homemade hummus is always a hit. This great dip makes an awesome sandwich spread too.
- Chana Masala is an easy dinner idea made in under 30 minutes.
- Chickpea Curry is a great meatless meal any night of the week.
- This salad with chickpeas, fennel and apples are tossed in a curry dressing.
- Stuffed acorn squash is perfect for Thanksgiving.
- Need a healthy snack? My friend Byron’s nacho roasted chickpeas are deliciously addictive.
1 ounce of chickpeas contains 8 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, and 3 grams of protein. They have numerous health benefits and are a great plant-based protein choice.
Rinse with cold water to reduce the sodium content. This will also make them easier to digest.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Fall Apple Salad with Chickpeas
For the Salad:
- 2 cups diced apples (I used Honeycrisp)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons apple balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoons pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- Wash the apples, core and dice. I left the skin on, but feel free to peel if you wish. Toss apples into a large bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice in the apples.
- To the bowl add the cranberries, pumpkin seeds and chickpeas.
- In a small bowl combine the salad dressing ingredients (oil, vinegars and cinnamon) and whisk until blended.
- Pour over the apple mixture. Mix well.