Apple season is right around the corner. If you love apple desserts, these Smoked Grilled Apples are a must-try!
Do you like grilled desserts? How about stuffed apples? This smoked apple dessert is a must-try.
Hollow out some fresh apples. Stuff with some delicious ingredients and let your bbq do the work. Just like smoked apple pie without the crust.
We were thrilled with the results of our Smoked Cheese Recipe. Smoking food is so much fun and super easy to do.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this grilled apple dessert can be found at the bottom of this post.
We thought it would be a tasty treat to try a smoked fruit recipe. After all, baked apples on the grill is the perfect bbq dessert.
You can NEVER have too many apple recipes. We love Fried Apple Tarts, but sometimes you want an apple dessert that is easy to prepare. This is the recipe!
How could you not love stuffed apples? The famous saying “sugar and spice and everything nice” sums up these easy grilled apples.
Ingredients You Need
If you make baked apples, these Smoked Grilled Apples use the same ingredients. Let your imagination (and tastebuds) guide you. Here are some suggestions:
- fresh apples
- brown sugar
- coconut sugar
- apple bake seasoning
- pumpkin seeds
- graham crumbs
- gingersnap crumbs
- shortbread crumbs
These delicious apples can be topped with ice cream, whipped cream, ricotta or mascarpone cheese.
Our favourite is apple flavoured balsamic vinegar. Have you ever tried it? The flavour is an intense, concentrated sweet apple delight. A great topping, especially if you don’t want the added calories of the other suggested toppings.
Enjoying muffins with my morning coffee is a must, especially when they are Toffee Apple Muffins. Of course, you can never go wrong with apple pie or impressive Apple Roses. But what if you want to use your bbq?
Have you EVER grilled fruit? If not, you really need to experiment. Grilled Balsamic Strawberries are great for bbq parties. Such an easy dessert.
What about a grilled cocktail? OMG so good. Check out this recipe for Grilled Nectarine & Bourbon Patio Punch.
How To Smoke Apples On Your Grill
Not only are smoked apples easy to make, but they are also super delicious to eat. You will wow your dinner guests with this baked apple dessert.
- Pick your favourite apple
- Hollow out the centre (super easy using a melon baller)
- Mix up some stuffing ingredients (lots of options below)
- Stuff the apples, and top with some butter
- Place in a foil pan on the grill (indirect heat)
- Add some smokey flavour (with wood chips or pellets)
- Close the lid, relax, have a glass of wine
- In about an hour…ENJOY!
BONUS, no messy cleanup. That is always a great thing when you are entertaining.
Now, if you have never smoked on your grill before, it is easier than you think. Did you know you can use your gas grill for this? All you need is a “smoking pouch”, or (affiliate)*smoker box.
Add your favourite wood chips or (affiliate)*pellets (flavours like applewood, cherry, maple, or Jack Daniels) and that is it.
If you don’t have a smoker box or pouch, you can easily make a pouch out of foil.
The same goes for the toppings. Use whatever YOU like. This grilled apple recipe is easier to make than apple pie (and healthier too). No need for the extra calories in the crust. You can even reduce the amount of sugar as well.
Best Apples To Smoke
Apples are a personal preference. Some work better than others in recipes. For whole grilled apples, I tend to choose, varieties that tend to stay a little firmer during the cooking process.
Visit your local orchards for the best selection. Here are some of my favourite ONTARIO APPLES:
- Paula Red
- Cortland (my absolute favourite)
- Northern Spy
There you have it. Our new favourite apple dessert. What a great way to enjoy apple season, and make grilling season last a little longer too.
My next experiment will be smoked apple pie!!
You will be amazed at how easy and delicious grilled whole apples are. In fact, don’t save them for dessert, they make a great brunch item too.
Need some more grilled dessert ideas? Here you go:
- Grilled Caramelized Pineapple Poundcake
- Grilled Peaches
- Grilled Tropical Fruit
- Grilled Banana Campfire S’mores
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Smoked Grilled Apples Easy Dessert Recipe
- 4 apples (mine were on the large side)
- 4 tsp butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup whole cane sugar (Sucanat)
- 2 tsp apple bake seasoning (or a combination of cinnamon & nutmeg)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup graham crumbs
- 1 tbsp red apple balsamic vinegar (for topping)
To Prepare The Apples:
- Wash the apples. Remove the core (almost to the bottom). I used a melon baller, but you can use a knife or apple corer. **NOTE** Do not go all the way to the bottom or the filling will run out of the apples.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine all the ingredients (except for the butter and balsamic vinegar) in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
To Smoke The Apples:
- Turn your grill onto a medium heat (about 350 degrees). You will be using the INDIRECT grilling method. NO direct heat under the apples in the pan.
- If you are using a “smoke pouch” or “smoker box” place it on the grills with the heat. If you are using a pellet smoker maze, place it on the same side as the apples (you ignite the pellets in the maze).
- Stuff your apples with the filling mixture. I tapped mine a few times too enable more filling to be added.
- Top each filled apple with butter.
- Place the apples in a foil pan.
- Place the pan on the heated grill (INDIRECT side).
- Close the lid, and let them cook for about 1 hour. Apples should still be a little firm. You don’t want them to get too soft or they will fall apart.
- Remove from grill. Place in serving bowls.
- Top with apple flavoured balsamic (or your choice of toppings).