Watermelon Pizza is a fun and easy summer fruit dessert. Perfect for BBQ parties, or tasty healthy eating any time of day.
This watermelon dessert pizza is super easy to make. Pizza wedges with cheese, fruit slices, and a tasty balsamic drizzle.
Do you enjoy recipes with watermelon in the summer? My grandkids absolutely love watermelon juice. Thirst-quenching with no added sugar. A great way to cool down in the summer heat.
Summer is the time to enjoy so many wonderful fruits. Strawberry season is one of my favourite times of the year. Sweet Strawberry Bruschetta seems to be happening quite a bit these days. In fact, I will be taking it to our next BBQ party.
This easy watermelon recipe is a great way to showcase all the flavours of the season. Fruit desserts are perfect for HOT weather eating. If you have tried grilled watermelon, how about Grilled Strawberries?
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this low-calorie fruit pizza can be found at the bottom of this post.
Making A Watermelon Pizza Is Super Easy
- Get a nice round mini seedless watermelon. The bigger the watermelon, the bigger the pizza wedges.
- Cut the watermelon into slices (about 1 inch thick), then cut each slice into wedges. This will be the pizza crust. I cut mine into quarters, the choice is yours.
- Now comes the fun part, the pizza toppings. The combinations are endless.
Fruit Pizza Toppings
I used mascarpone cheese, sliced strawberries, strawberry balsamic glaze and fresh mint. Honestly, there are so many choices. You can even set up a “make your own” fruit pizza station. How fun would that be?
Topping ideas include (but not limited to):
- soft spreadable cheeses (cream cheese, ricotta, mascarpone)
- Greek yogurt
- feta cheese
- fruits of all kind (berries, pineapple, mango, apples, pears)
- (affiliate)balsamic reduction/glazes
- fresh herbs (basil, mint)
- (affiliate)jams/jellies (things like jalapeno/strawberry preserves or wine jellies)
- nuts/seeds (almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds)
- chocolate chips (just because you can)
Can you see where I am going here? This watermelon dessert recipe is fun and easy. Healthy and gluten-free too. Stress-free desserts are a must, especially during the summer.
We eat fruit a lot in the summer. Fruit salads are great for brunch. One of our favourite BBQ side dishes is Mango Salsa. OMG, this would be a great topping on this watermelon pizza too.
We happen to LOVE using cheese in recipes, especially Canadian cheese. If you love cheese as much as we do,give this Cold Smoked Brie a try. Sure to be a hit at your next BBQ party.
Benefits Of Eating Watermelon
I am pretty sure you already know all the healthy reasons to chow down on this delicious fruit. Juicy, sweet and super nutritious.
- helps with muscle soreness
- helps with kidney disorders
- may help in the prevention of certain cancers
- helps with asthma
- lowers blood pressure
- improves digestion
- lowers inflammation
- improves immunity
- contains vitamins and antioxidants
Tips On Choosing The BEST Watermelon
- Find the FIELD SPOT. This is where the watermelon rested on the ground. You want that spot to be nice and large and yellow in colour.
- Look for SUGAR SPOTS. Lots of black spots means sugar is seeping out. Pick one with no (or at least not many) spots.
- DULL APPEARANCE is best. A shiny flesh indicates an unripe interior.
- KNOCK, knock!! A hard firm flesh that makes a thud when you tap is what you are looking for.
- WEIGH IN. The heavier the better.
- UNIFORM shape. Either round or oval with no irregular bumps.
Looking for more fun summer recipes?
- Smoked Apples are a fun twist on traditional apple crisp. Makes the perfect bbq dessert. Just add ice cream.
- Cheesecake Popsicles are packed with strawberry flavour and even contain graham cracker crumbs.
- Banana Popsicles are a healthy homemade treat. Avocados make them super creamy.
- Tequila Cocktail is the perfect summer patio drink. Complete with fresh strawberry puree and basil.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Watermelon Pizza (Fruit Pizza)
- 14 ounce watermelon slice (cut into wedges)
- 2 ounces strawberries (sliced)
- 1 tsp balsamic glaze
- 2 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- mint leaves (for garnish)
- Cut your watermelon into 1-inch slices.
- Cut the slices into desired wedges. The bigger the watermelon slices, the more slices you can cut them into.
- Top with cheese.
- Add the sliced strawberries.
- Dot with balsamic glaze.
- Garnish with fresh mint.