Crispy Cast Iron Potatoes will wow your guests on presentation alone.
Spiral skillet potatoes roasted to crispy perfection. They have a nice hint of smoky flavour too.
The humble potato is so versatile. Baked, mashed, fried. Great in soups, stews, and casseroles. The perfect side dish to ALL the meals of the day.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these crispy roasted potatoes are at the bottom of this post.
I love to impress my guests with recipes that look fancy, but are super easy to make. This recipe is similar to the famous Pommes Anna, but crispier.
Potatoes, a skillet, and seasonings. Simple yet so delicious.
For This Sliced Potato Recipe You Will Need
You will also need a good *(affiliate) cast iron skillet. They come in lots of sizes (and I have several) including a wok. Perfect for use on the stove-top, oven and grill.
I only use Lodge products in my kitchen. Made in the USA. When properly cared for they last a lifetime.
Speaking of the grill, check out this awesome Chocolate Chip Cast Iron Coffee Cake. Bet you never thought of baking dessert on the bbq?
Love corned beef and cabbage? This easy Corned Beef and Potato Skillet is the perfect meal for busy weeknights. Great for brunch too.
Best Potatoes to Use
You can use any type of potato you like. I have made it with waxy, starchy and all-purpose potatoes.
- Yukon Gold
I think it would be fun to give this recipe a try with sweet potatoes too. Even the purple variety would add another dimension and stunning presentation.
How To Make Crispy Cast Iron Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Wash, peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Layer in the skillet.
- Mix the oil and seasonings together in a bowl.
- Brush over the potato slices.
- Pop in the oven and bake until crispy and golden brown.
How To Slice Potatoes Thin
You can use a very sharp knife. Be sure to cut evenly through the potato so the slices are uniform. Cut a small slice off the side/bottom of the potato so it will sit flat on the cutting board. This makes it safer to slice. The potato will not move when you work with it.
You can use a mandolin. This is my preferred method. Please be careful using this kitchen gadget. It is VERY sharp. I use the *(affiliate) OXO Good Grips in my kitchen.
You can use a food processor. This is another great way to get thin, uniform slices.
- I used avocado oil, but feel free to use olive oil if you like.
- You can use regular salt and pepper for seasoning. I like the hint of smokiness from the sea salt.
- Smoked paprika comes in several varieties. Hot, mild and bittersweet. All work well.
- The slices of potato should be as uniform as possible so they roast evenly. I would recommend no thicker than 1/4 inch thickness.
- This recipe reheats nicely. Wrap it in foil and warm in the oven.
- I have found that just about any type of potato works in this recipe.
- I used peeled potatoes, but feel free to leave the skin on if you like.
This is the perfect side for brunch or dinner. A great change from hash browns, fries or scalloped potatoes. Think of these as the skillet version to hassleback.
More Delicious Potato Recipes
There are never too many ways to enjoy the humble spud. Here are a few:
- Potatoes with Green Onion and Dill is a secret family recipe.
- Spicy Fries are the perfect side dish. Great for brunch and dinner.
- You can never go wrong with Smoked Salmon Potato Appetizers to get the party started.
- Sweet Potato Au Gratin is a rich and savoury casserole perfect for any occasion.
- Looking for a great dinner salad? Warm Potato Salad with Dill & Smoked Salmon is a perfect choice.
- If you are a pasta lover, these Herbed Gnocchi are super easy to make.
- Last but not least, Potato & Leek Soup is always welcome at the dinner table.
What is your favourite potato recipe?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and SIGN UP for my NEWSLETTER too!
Crispy Cast Iron Potatoes
- 3 1/2 pounds potatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- smoked sea salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Thinly slice potatoes (I used a mandolin).
- Place potato slices vertically in cast iron skillet.
- Brush oil mixture over potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper over top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours...until golden and crispy.