Potatoes with Green Onion & Dill is a summer family favourite. Fresh from the garden potatoes smothered in a green onion, dill & butter sauce.
If you love potatoes, this flavourful potato, onion and dill recipe will have you coming back for more. It’s almost like a warm potato salad. Simple ingredients blend together so well to make this fresh potato dish that is perfect to feed a crowd.
Wow, this dish brings back such wonderful memories. It was a tradition every summer at our annual family BBQ. Coming from a Ukrainian family, all the wonderful ladies had HUGE gardens. Every summer we would have an annual BBQ at Auntie Chris’s house. Uncle Nick would work his magic on the wood fired BBQ cooking up some juicy steaks. To go along with them these Potatoes with Green Onion & Dill were a must!!
When Cassie from Crumb Kitchen decided on #FreshFromTheGarden as the theme for this #CDNFoodCreatives collaboration, I knew instantly the recipe I would share.
It really is all about using the wonderful garden ingredients and creating great tasting food. With all the gardens these ladies had, produce was plentiful. This particular dish was always a hit each and every year. When you are feeding a crowd, and you have no leftovers, you know you are doing something right.
I have stayed true to the recipe (well 99% true). This dish was always prepared with boiled new potatoes, but perhaps you’ve noticed in my recipes I don’t boil vegetables. I mentioned this in my Roasted Fiddlehead Ferns recipe, and unless I am making mashed potatoes, I just don’t boil vegetables period.
So my version of this recipe includes baking the potatoes instead of boiling. The rest of the recipe is how this was done for so many years.
Start by baking your potatoes. I like to place them in a baking dish. You can place them right on the rack if you prefer.
When they are done, let them sit for a bit to cool. You don’t want to burn your fingers as you cut them into chunks.
Finely dice some green onions, being sure to use part of the green stalk as well. Chop some fresh dill. Heat some butter in a pan.
When the butter is melted, add the green onion and cook for a couple of minutes just to soften. Remove from heat, and mix in the dill.
Once you have your warm potatoes cut, place them in a serving bowl, and pour this wonderful green onion, dill butter sauce over them. Season with salt and pepper…..and there you have it !
The aroma of the onion and dill is so fragrant, and the taste is mouthwatering. Along side a steak this would give any potato dish a run for their money. It goes well with all meats and fish/seafood too.
Give these Potatoes with Green Onion & Dill a try soon, they just might become a tradition in your family too!
For another great potato dish try Crispy Cast Iron Potatoes, beautiful and delicious!
Potatoes with Green Onion & Dill
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds new potatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 3 green onions finely diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Wash, dry and prick potatoes.
- Place in a baking dish and cook until done (about 1 hour).
- When done, remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
For the Sauce:
- Finely chop the green onion and dill.
- Heat butter in a small pan.
- When hot, add green onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in dill.
- Cut potatoes into chunks (while they are warm) and place in serving bowl.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Be sure to pop by and check out all these awesome recipes for the other talented bloggers from #CDNFoodCreatives.
- Beef and Mushroom Lettuce Wraps by Food Mamma
- Caramelized Peaches with Coconut Whipped Cream and Crumble by Crumb Kitchen
- Easy Sheet Pan Oven-Roasted Root Vegetables by She Loves Biscotti
- Grilled Zucchini Greek Salad by Making Healthy Choices
- Healthy Peach Melba Smoothie Bowl by Flavour and Savour
- Mexican Bean Salsa by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- Potatoes with Green Onion and Dill by Homemade & Yummy
- Roasted Beet Chocolate Brownies by Tiny Sweet Tooth
- Roasted Veggie Bocconcini Pasta Salad by Sugarlovespices
- Strawberry Mint Chickpea Salad by Healthy Life Redesign