Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate is a fast and delicious meal from Jamie Oliver’s book 5 Ingredients Quick and Easy Foods.
Slices of cold smoked salmon, cottage cheese, avocado, and cucumber pickle make a great lunch idea or a quick dinner.
Don’t have time to cook? YES, you do! If I could show you how to get dinner on the table faster than pizza delivery, would you be interested? Roll up your sleeves, and spend a few minutes in the kitchen.
My motto: “Food doesn’t have to be complicated, BUT it does have to taste good”. If you love smoked salmon, this recipe will knock your socks off. Using only 5 ingredients, this easy smoked salmon recipe makes a weeknight winner dinner.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this cold smoked salmon dinner are at the bottom of this post.
We all need a little help in the kitchen. If your family is like mine, we hardly EVER have takeout. With so many quick and easy recipes available, you can feed your family healthy and nutritious meals in under 30 minutes.
I love Jamie Oliver, and I just HAD TO HAVE this cookbook (*affiliate)5 Ingredients Quick and Easy Foods. After all, it needs to be with all his other books on my shelf LOL. Even us food bloggers are pressed for time too. These easy meals will get you from the kitchen to the table in no time.
Jamie’s approach to using simple ingredients has always been a hit with me. Need more convincing? Try Mediterranean Canned Tuna Pasta Toss. This is not your mom’s tuna and noodles.
This Recipe For Smoked Salmon Includes:
You really gotta love when you can make a meal with only a few ingredients. Even novice home cooks can make this smoked fish recipe.
- smoked salmon slices
- fresh dill
- cottage cheese
I don’t count the seasonings as ingredients (you can if you like). In addition, you will need:
- salt and pepper
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
Sounds super easy right?
For the smoked fish, I always buy DOM International. There are other brands to choose from. Check the frozen seafood section of your grocery store.
Assembling The Smoked Salmon Plate
Here is the quick rundown:
- First, you make your quick pickled cucumber ribbons and put them off to a side till ready to plate.
- Drape the smoked salmon slices onto your plate.
- Cut the avocado and place beside the salmon.
- Pile some cucumber ribbons on the side.
- Scoop on some cottage cheese.
- Garnish with olive oil and fresh dill.
Sound doable? YES is sure does. ANYONE can make this cold plate for a quick meal.
Ways To Eat Smoked Salmon
It has only been within the last few years that I have actually tried it. I don’t know why, but for some reason, I didn’t think I would like it. You know how it is when you try to convince your kids to try something new.
It comes in many varieties. The most common is frozen and in cans. You can also smoke salmon on the grill.
Salmon and dill pair so well together. So do eggs and salmon. There are lots of great ways to enjoy this popular smoked fish for breakfast, brunch, lunch dinner and appetizers too.
Here are a few easy recipes using smoked salmon:
- Warm Potato Salad with Dill & Smoked Salmon is a favourite around here. Great as a side dish, or stand alone meal.
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Appetizer with Cream Cheese is the perfect party appetizer. You could even use this as a smoked salmon spread.
- Smoked Salmon Potato Appetizers are a hit at holiday parties. The perfect elegant appetizer.
- Smoked Salmon Egg in a Hole is a fun idea for brunch or even breakfast for dinner.
- Smoked Salmon Bagel with Artichoke Cream Cheese is my FAVOURITE lunch (or dinner) any day of the week.
- Smoked Salmon Salad with Cucumber Noodles makes a fun and delicious spiralized salad.
It has been cured in either hot or cold smoke. Each method produces a slightly different taste and texture.
The hot method smokes the salmon between 120-180ºF. This allows the salmon to cook. The cold smoked method dry cures the salmon in salt for several days, which draws out the moisture. The fish is then smoked in a temperature below 80ºF.
Whether you eat it hot or cold, it contains protein and fat. It is high in sodium, so that may be a concern for some people.
Lox refers to salmon cured in a salt-sugar rub or brine.
Fresh salmon fillets that have been cured it in salt, sugar and fresh dill for several days.
Don’t rely on fast food joints to feed your family. Meals like this easy smoked salmon recipe are far more nutritious, use REAL food, and one more thing, DELICIOUS!
What is YOUR favourite way to enjoy smoked fish?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Easy Smoked Salmon Dinner (Jamie Oliver)
- 1 small cucumber
- fresh dill
- 3 1/2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- salt & pepper (to season)
- 2 tsp olive oil (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (to pickle cucumber)
To Pickle the Cucumber:
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumber lengthwise into long ribbons. You can use a vegetable peeler (or a mandolin). Place in a bowl.
- Add the red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt, and about 4-5 sprigs of fresh dill (snipped). Mix well and set aside.
To Plate the Salad:
- Divide the salmon into 2 portions, and drape (layer) across serving plates.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon and place beside the salmon.
- Remove the cucumber ribbons from the vinegar, and place on the plate. Drizzle a bit of the vinegar mixture into the avocado.
- Scoop the cottage cheese onto the salmon.
- Season the food with salt and pepper. Drizzle on the olive oil. Garnish with some dill.