Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate is a fast and delicious meal from Jamie Oliver’s book 5 Ingredients Quick and Easy Foods.
Slices of smoked salmon, cottage cheese, avocado, and cucumber pickle make a great lunch idea or a quick dinner.
Don’t have time to cook? YES, you do! If I could show you how to get dinner on the table faster than pizza delivery, would you be interested? Roll up your sleeves, and spend a few minutes in the kitchen.
My motto: “Food doesn’t have to be complicated, BUT it does have to taste good”. If you love smoked salmon, this recipe will knock your socks off. Using only 5 ingredients, this easy smoked salmon recipe makes a weeknight winner dinner.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this quick smoked salmon recipe are at the bottom of this post.
We all need a little help in the kitchen. If your family is like mine, we hardly EVER have takeout. With so many quick and easy recipes available, you can feed your family healthy and nutritious meals in under 30 minutes.
I love Jamie Oliver, and I just HAD TO HAVE this cookbook *5 Ingredients Quick and Easy Foods. After all, it needs to be with all his other books on my shelf LOL. Even us food bloggers are pressed for time too. These easy meals will get you from the kitchen to the table in no time.
Jamie’s approach to using simple ingredients has always been a hit with me. Need more convincing? Try Mediterranean Canned Tuna Pasta Toss. This is not your mom’s tuna and noodles.
For This Smoked Seafood Recipe You Will Need:
You really gotta love when you can make a meal with only a few ingredients. Even novice home cooks can make this smoked fish recipe.
- smoked salmon
- fresh dill
- cottage cheese
I don’t count the seasonings as ingredients (you can if you like). In addition, you will need:
- salt and pepper
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
Sounds super easy right?
Assembling The Salmon Cold Plate
Here is the quick rundown:
- First, you make your quick pickled cucumber ribbons and put them off to a side till ready to plate.
- Drape the smoked salmon slices onto your plate.
- Cut the avocado and place beside the salmon.
- Pile some cucumber ribbons on the side.
- Scoop on some cottage cheese.
- Garnish with olive oil and fresh dill.
Sound doable? YES is sure does. ANYONE can make this cold plate for a quick meal.
Ways To Eat Smoked Salmon
Do you like smoked salmon? It has only been within the last few years that I have actually tried it. I don’t know why, but for some reason, I didn’t think I would like it. You know how it is when you try to convince your kids to try something new.
It comes in many varieties. There is cold-smoked salmon both frozen and in cans. You can also smoke salmon on the grill.
Salmon and dill pair so well together. So do eggs and salmon. There are lots of great ways to enjoy this popular smoked fish for breakfast, brunch, lunch dinner and appetizers too.
Here are a few easy smoked salmon recipes to try:
- Warm Potato Salad with Dill & Smoked Salmon is a favourite around here. Great as a side dish, or stand alone meal.
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Appetizer with Cream Cheese is the perfect party appetizer. You could even use this as a smoked salmon spread.
- Smoked Salmon Potato Appetizers are a hit at holiday parties. The perfect elegant appetizer.
- Smoked Salmon Egg in a Hole is a fun idea for brunch or even breakfast for dinner.
- Smoked Salmon Bagel with Artichoke Cream Cheese is my FAVOURITE lunch (or dinner) any day of the week.
- Smoked Salmon Salad with Cucumber Noodles makes a fun and delicious spiralized salad.
Best Smoked Salmon
I think this is a personal preference. I always buy DOM International. You can find it in the freezer section of your local grocery stores. I buy mine at Costco.
I prefer the box of single servings. That way I can thaw just the amount I need each time.
There are other brands available, so shop around and experiment to see which brand you prefer.
Is Smoked Salmon Cooked or Raw?
It is salmon that have been cured in either hot or cold smoke. Each method produces a different taste and texture.
With the hot method, the salmon is smoked between 120-180ºF. This allows the salmon to cook.
Using the cold smoked method, the salmon is dry-cured in a large amount of salt for days, which draws out most of the moisture. Then the fish is smoked in temperatures below 80°F.
Cold smoking does not cook the fish. The end result resembles a raw texture.
Is Smoked Salmon Healthy?
Whether you eat it hot or cold, smoked salmon contains protein and fat. The cold-smoked variety is high in sodium, so that may be a concern for some people.
Just because we are busy, we don’t have to eat crappy food. Don’t rely on fast food joints to feed your family. Meals like this Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate are far more nutritious, use REAL food, and one more thing, DELICIOUS!
What is YOUR favourite way to eat smoked salmon?
Here are a few other smoked salmon recipes you might like to try:
- Easy Salmon Chowder
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Arancini
- Everything Bagel Smoked Salmon Quiche
- Smoked Salmon Rice Salad
Don’t forget to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. If you would prefer to get PUSH NOTIFICATIONS instead, CLICK the PURPLE BELL on the bottom right of this page. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate (Jamie Oliver)
- 1 small cucumber
- fresh dill
- 3 1/2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- salt & pepper (to season)
- 2 tsp olive oil (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (to pickle cucumber)
To Pickle the Cucumber:
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumber lengthwise into long ribbons. You can use a vegetable peeler (or a mandolin). Place in a bowl.
- Add the red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt, and about 4-5 sprigs of fresh dill (snipped). Mix well and set aside.
To Plate the Salad:
- Divide the salmon into 2 portions, and drape (layer) across serving plates.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon and place beside the salmon.
- Remove the cucumber ribbons from the vinegar, and place on the plate. Drizzle a bit of the vinegar mixture into the avocado.
- Scoop the cottage cheese onto the salmon.
- Season the food with salt and pepper. Drizzle on the olive oil. Garnish with some dill.