Hearty and delicious, this Creamy Fish Soup is made in the slow cooker.
Crockpot fish chowder combines potatoes, fish (you can swap in whatever kind you like), corn and broth. Seasonings and something to make it creamy and delicious.
This recipe for seafood soup is easy to make. The perfect comfort food. Reheats nicely. Grab some bread and dig in.
I happen to think the slow cooker is the BEST kitchen invention ever. Set it and forget it cooking. While dinner cooks I can do other things. The food always turns out delicious.
Homemade slow cooker soup is so easy to make. I love to make a huge batch. Great for more meals during the week. Perfect for putting in the freezer too.
If you have never tried my Slow Cooker Pho, you are in for a real treat. This is a great cheat version of the classic Vietnamese dish.
Looking for a soup similar to Portuguese Caldo Verde? This Slow Cooker Spicy Kale Soup is sure to please.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this creamy fish chowder soup recipe can be found at the bottom of the post.
For Creamy Fish Soup You Will Need:
This fish and potato soup is so thick, you would almost think it is a creamy fish stew.
- frozen corn
- chicken broth
- evaporated milk
- crab (or fish of your choice)
- salt and pepper
- bacon bits for garnish (optional)
Best Fish For Making Soup
This is where you can experiment and see what works best for you and your family. You have lots of choices, and each will produce delicious soup.
In this recipe, I used pre-cooked crab. I always have this in the fridge. Perfect for salads, sandwiches, and pasta too. You can use fresh, or frozen fish, and even canned varieties as well.
Since fish cooks quickly, it is added to the slow cooker near the end of the cooking time. This is basically a creamy potato soup recipe with fish. You could try:
How To Make Creamy Slow Cooker Fish Soup
This seafood soup recipe is super easy to make. Place the ingredients into the slow cooker, and dinner will be ready in a few hours. If you cook it on HIGH it will be ready sooner.
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Peel and cut potatoes and place in crockpot.
- Add the corn, flour, and seasonings.
- Add the broth.
- Cook (see recipe below) for a few hours.
- Add the milk and fish.
- Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Dinner is ready. Garnish and ENJOY!
Fish Soup Seasonings You can use a variety of seasonings. For this recipe, I used Kick Ass Cajun. This can be ordered online (and I highly recommend you do).
Broth Choices If you are looking for a vegetarian version of this fish soup recipe, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Cream Substitutes In most of my recipes, I use evaporated milk. I find it convenient (it doesn’t curdle) and something I always have on hand. Great for both savoury and sweet recipes. You can also use cream, milk, or non-dairy options like coconut milk if you wish.
Can You Freeze Fish Chowder Soup? Yes, you can. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge. To freeze it, place in an airtight container or freezer bag. It will last for several months.
The Best Way to Reheat Cream Soup Reheat thick soups containing milk or cream over low heat, stirring frequently.
To prevent cream-based fish chowders from curdling once thawed, stir well when reheating.
Is Chowder Soup?
Always a fun topic and debate. Chowder is a thicker kind of soup generally cream-based. Soup is usually thinner and is broth-based.
That is not to say soup cannot be thick and contain cream. My Creamy Mushroom Soup is not a chowder, but is thick and does contain cream (and cream cheese).
New England Clam Chowder, Boston Clam Chowder and in Canada, Maritime Seafood Chowder are all hearty and delicious.
This Slow Cooker Creamy Fish Soup is the ultimate comfort food. A great way to warm up on a chilly day. With the winning combination of fish and potatoes, this is a welcome addition to the dinner table any night of the week.
What are some of YOUR favourite fish dinner ideas?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Looking For More Easy Fish Recipes?
- Smoked Salmon and Potato Appetizers perfect for entertaining.
- Warm Potato Salad with Dill and Smoked Salmon is a great as a main course for dinner.
- You can never go wrong with a Smoked Salmon Bagel for lunch.
- Easy weeknight meals are a must and this Quick Salmon Plate comes together in minutes.
- Looking for a crispy fish recipe? Fish Cakes made in the air fryer are always a hit. Pair them with some Spicy Fries, or Cast Iron Potatoes.
- Egg Tacos are a fun brunch, lunch or dinner option any day of the week.
Slow Cooker Creamy Fish Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds crab meat
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (1 can)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Coat slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Wash, peel and dice the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Place in the slow cooker.
- Add the corn and flour to the potatoes toss to coat.
- Add the seasonings and broth, mix, cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. (Low for 6 hours)
- Turn slow cooker to LOW and add the milk and crab to the pot.
- Cover and cook for an additional 60 minutes.
- Soup is now ready to eat. ENJOY!