Are you an egg lover? Egg Tacos with Smoked Salmon are super delicious.
These easy scrambled egg tacos are perfect for lunch or dinner. Once you taste the combination of eggs and smoked salmon, this just might become your new favourite egg recipe.
This post is sponsored by Egg Farmers of Canada to celebrate #WorldEggDay
We LOVE eggs any time of day. Eggs are a staple ingredient in kitchens all over the world. Snack, meals and culinary creations are made with healthy, nutritious and delicious eggs.
Have you ever tried Poached Eggs and Lentil Hash? A GREAT meatless meal that is packed with protein. You won’t even miss the meat I promise!
The humble egg really is the star of the show in this egg taco recipe.
I was thrilled to be chosen as part of the #WorldEggDay celebration with Egg Farmers of Canada.
DID YOU KNOW:
- 2018 was the 12th consecutive year of growing egg sales in Canada.
- Canadian egg farmers produced a massive 752 million dozen eggs in 2018.
- There are over 1,000 Canadian egg farmers from coast to coast.
- They follow strict food safety and animal care standards.
Egg Farmers of Canada ambassador Chef Lynn Crawford has created a great video celebrating Canadian egg farmers. Spread the love on October 11/19 using #WorldEggDay.
When I was deciding what I was going to create, I wanted to be sure to make it EASY to prepare. People are busy and don’t have a lot of time to make meals at home. Takeout and food delivery is a growing business (but it doesn’t have to be).
Then there is the other side of the coin. People like my daughter don’t like to cook (especially if it is difficult), but she doesn’t want to rely on processed and packaged foods either. The takeout option gets to be REALLY expensive too.
I also wanted the recipe to be FUN. One that would be great for brunch, lunch and dinner too.
Tacos are always a hit in my house. Using scrambled eggs as the taco filling is perfect. But wait, what if you could put a twist on fish tacos using eggs? YES!!
I love Smoked Salmon Bagels (you know the smoked salmon and cream cheese combo). Why not add the cream cheese to the eggs? YES!!
Do I have your tastebuds fired up yet? Trust me, these egg tacos are SUPER easy to make. I even checked with my daughter and she said YES this is doable for her. It takes ONE pan!
INGREDIENTS FOR EGG TACOS
You really gotta love when a recipe calls for simple ingredients. Ingredients that are EASY to find. I even give you alternative ingredients as well (but you have to keep reading).
For these tacos made with eggs and salmon, you will need:
- smoked salmon
- whipped cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- mini tacos
All of these ingredients are super easy to find in the grocery store. For the smoked salmon, I buy the box of individual frozen packages at Costco. There are 10 in a box. For this recipe, I used 1 package. Thaw in the fridge before using it.
If you can scramble eggs, these egg tacos will be made faster than pizza delivery or anything delivered by Uber Eats. Not to mention healthy, nutritious and budget-friendly.
You CAN do this! Cooking easy meals at home only takes minutes, especially when you cook with eggs.
HOW TO MAKE TACOS WITH EGGS
Here is the quick and easy rundown of these egg tacos.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl (Get Cracking is the name of the game here).
- Whisk the eggs.
- Heat a pan, and add the butter.
- Add the eggs and cook till they are scrambled to your desired level of doneness.
- Remove from the heat, season and add the cream cheese.
- Fill your taco shells with the scrambled eggs.
- Top with smoked salmon and capers.
Doable right? Simple ingredients right? Quick and easy right?
The best part is these are perfect for LUNCH or DINNER. There is not a meal in the day where eggs cannot be the star of the show.
If you don’t have *cute little taco holders, you can just place the ingredients in the taco shell and fold.
BONUS you can even eat these COLD. How do I know this? Well, after I called the neighbours over to taste test the recipe, I still had a couple of tacos leftover. I popped them in the fridge. Later that afternoon, hubby needed a snack. I gave him these straight out of the fridge. They tasted like an upscale version of egg salad sandwiches in taco form!!
SCRAMBLED EGG ADD-INS
If you don’t like some of the ingredients in the scrambled eggs, I have you covered.
The combination of smoked salmon and cream cheese is so delicious. You can substitute the flavour of cream cheese. I used Cracked Black Pepper and Garlic.
Feel free to use:
- Roasted Red Pepper Flavour
- Dill Flavour
- Plain Cream Cheese
- Garden Vegetable Flavour
- Goat Cheese
- Ricotta Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Shredded Cheese (any flavour)
If you don’t want to use cheese, you can always add a bit of milk, cream or yogurt to the eggs while cooking. Alternatively, if you want to skip dairy altogether, just scramble the eggs on their own. Adding a bit of water will help make them fluffy.
Some people like to add veggies to their scrambled eggs. Feel free to give this a try if you like. You can add green onion or diced fresh peppers.
TOPPINGS FOR EGG TACOS
This is always the fun part of eating tacos, the toppings.
We love the combination of eggs and smoked salmon. The capers add a nice pop of briny flavour. The microgreens make such a wonderful garnish.
If these toppings are not your thing, try:
- sprouts (alfalfa, broccoli, or pea shoots)
- fresh dill (you can never go wrong with salmon and dill)
- diced tomato or even salsa
- avocado or guacamole
When you come to think about it, this recipe is ALL ABOUT THE EGGS! Just make some scrambled eggs with add-ins and toppings of your choice. Pile them in a taco and viola you have EGG TACOS!
Super easy. Fun to make (even the kids can help with this one). Fun to eat. Great for lunch or dinner (great for snacks too).
How are YOU going to celebrate #WorldEggDay? I know how we will be. However you choose, remember to EAT EGGS!
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. Follow me on SOCIAL MEDIA too!!
Egg Tacos with Smoked Salmon
- 6 mini tortilla shells
- 6 eggs
- 2 ounces cream cheese (I used whipped Cracked Black Pepper and Garlic flavour)
- 2 1/2 ounces smoked salmon (thawed if frozen)
- salt and pepper (to season)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp capers (for garnish)
- microgreens (for garnish)
- Place your tortilla shells off to the side until ready to use.
- Drain the capers, and place them to the side.
- Thinly slice the smoked salmon, and place off to the side until ready to use.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, and whisk until fluffy.
- Heat a frying pan (preferably non-stick) over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter, and allow to melt.
- Pour in the eggs and cook until YOUR desired level of doneness. About 5 minutes for me. Be sure to stir often while cooking.
- When done, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the salt, pepper and cream cheese. Mix until the cream cheese is melted and combined.
- Get your tortilla shells ready. This is the perfect time to place them in the taco holders.
- Divide the scrambled egg mixture evenly among the shells.
- Top each taco with some smoked salmon and capers.
- Garnish with the microgreens.