Easy Crostini appetizers are the perfect addition to a party platter. Appetizers on bread happen to be my favourite kind.
These little toasts are so much better than the store-bought stuff. You won’t believe how easy they are to whip up. You can even make them ahead of time and add the simple crostini toppings later.
This post was kindly sponsored by MyOlive. Recipe, photos, and opinions are property of Homemade & Yummy.
If you are like me, I don’t need a party to enjoy these. Homemade crostini happens a lot in our house. There are endless ways to dress them up. Read on and I will show you just how delicious these easy crostini appetizers can be.
I am all about easy, simple recipes, especially when it comes to entertaining. This recipe will not disappoint. In fact, it is often the first appetizer to fly off the platter (next to my flavoured devilled eggs).
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these crostini ideas can be found at the bottom of this post.
What Is Crostini?
Crusty bread, brushed with olive oil, toasted either in the oven or on the grill. It’s as simple as that.
The fun part is using flavoured oils as opposed to plain EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). You can really add some great oil and balsamic vinegar pairings to these tasty little slices of bread.
How To Make Easy Crostini From Scratch
- Step 1 Start off with a nice baguette. Fresh is great, but don’t fret. Older bread will work too.
- Step 2 Slice your bread into thin slices (no more than 1/2 inch thick).
- Step 3 Place the slices on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Step 4 Brush each slice with olive oil.
- Step 5 Bake in the oven until toasted.
- Step 6 Cool slightly and add the crostini toppings. Check out the great ideas below.
On Tap Oil And Vinegar Store
Have you had the pleasure to shop in a gourmet oil and vinegar store? OMG, I am like a kid in a candy store when I go there.
MyOlive has such a great selection of premium olive oils and vinegars. When you walk into the store, oils and vinegars are on tap. I love to browse just to see ALL the flavours (and there are LOTS).
One side showcases fantastic balsamic vinegars, and the other side holds wonderful olive oils. Of course, they also carry a great assortment of specialty items.
Short of gift ideas for all the foodies on your list? Not anymore. You can find lots of great ideas in this store. Don’t forget to treat yourself too. MyOlive helps you take your cooking and entertaining to the next level.
Tiny little pieces of bread are cut and placed in jars. There are tasting cups by each on tap container. You are free to sample each and every product. I mean seriously, I could spend hours in this store just tasting LOL.
My mind went crazy thinking of all the recipes I could create using these fantastic products. How many flavoured oils and kinds of vinegar are in your pantry? I have stopped counting.
If you can’t get to shop in one of their 3 locations (but I sure hope you can experience the pleasure), no worries, they have an online store. Get these fantastic products delivered right to your door.
Check out the dark, white, and specialty balsamic vinegars. Don’t forget to browse the extensive olive oils category too. (I have included links to the products I used in this post so you can read about them).
I guarantee you will have a hard time not wanting all the flavours of these premium oil and vinegar products. Your recipes will take on a whole new level of yum! Experimenting in the kitchen will get a lot tastier.
Simple Crostini Toppings
This is where the fun starts. Picking out some great tasting gourmet olive oil is the first part. Now let’s build a crostini platter.
For this post, I showcased some great flavour pairings. But don’t stop here. Have fun experimenting on your own. There are endless ways to create these great appetizers.
- Persian Lime Infused Olive Oil
- Habanero and Honey Vinegar
- Cream Cheese
- Smoked Salmon
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
What do you think? Sounds delicious right? THEY WERE!!
After getting your little bread slices to toasty perfection, just add these toppings and ENJOY! Easy, peasy crostini made by YOU. They will be the hit of the party. Be sure to let all your friends and family know where to get the best gourmet oils and vinegars. I know they will want to use them in their recipes too.
What Is The Difference Between Crostini And Brushchetta?
Crostini is an Italian appetizer. Small slices of toasted or grilled bread that have been brushed with olive oil. They can be enjoyed plain, or topped with cheese, a variety of meats, or vegetables.
Bruschetta in Italian (bruscare) means “to roast over coals”. This is a form of traditional garlic bread. Rub toasted bread slices with garlic, drizzle with olive oil, heat, and serve. You can also add bruschetta toppings like tomatoes.
Can You Make Crostini Ahead Of Time?
Yes, the toasted bread part can be made ahead of time. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Pop them in the oven to crisp up. Add the toast toppers and enjoy.
Best Bread For Appetizers
In this recipe I used a baguette. You could also use ciabatta or any delicious looking artisan loaf. Be sure the bread is dense.
Looking for more recipes using infused premium olive oils and flavoured balsamic vinegars?
- Sweet Strawberry Bruschetta uses basil flavoured olive oil on the bread. A great sweet bruschetta recipe. Easy summer appetizer.
- The classic Fresh Tomato Bruschetta incorporates premium EVOO.
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberries is a fun and tasty summer treat. Perfect for an appetizer or dessert. A great place for espresso balsamic.
- Italian Stuffed Squash uses maple balsamic. Perfect for fall in presentation and taste.
- Marinated Lentils get tossed in a nice dressing using white balsamic for a change of flavour.
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Easy Homemade Crostini (With Topping Suggestions)
- 1 255 gm baguette
- ¼ cup olive oil (infused EVOO)
- Heat the oven to 425º F.
- Place either parchment or a silicone mat on a baking sheet. This makes cleanup much easier.
- Slice the bread on a diagonal about ½ of an inch thick. Place them ln the baking sheet.
- Brush each slice with olive oil.
- Place in the oven. Bake until nicley toasted (about 6-8 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Top with your desired crostini toppings.
- Transfer to a serving platter and ENJOY!
- Bacon Olive Oil
- Fig Balsamic
- Goat Cheese
- Apple Slices
- Persian Lime Olive Oil
- Habanero and Honey Balsamic
- Cream Cheese
- Smoked Salmon
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Blood Orange Olive Oil
- Chocolate Balsamic
- Ricotta Cheese
- Clementine Sections