Simple and delicious, this Smoked Salmon Sandwich is perfect for lunch, brunch, and dinner too.
If you love smoked salmon on a bagel, this simple sandwich idea is right up your alley. The classic toasted tomato and cheese just got a makeover. Satisfying and full of flavour.
Are you a sandwich lover? I sure am. Sometimes for dinner, all I want is a nice big sandwich to wrap my hands around.
We often do this, especially during the hot summer months when lounging on the patio is what I want to do. The perfect summer meal.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this easy salmon sandwich can be found at the bottom of this post.
I don’t know of a person who does not love the classic toasted tomato and cheese sandwich. Especially during fresh tomato season. If you grow your own tomatoes, you know what I am talking about.
I wanted to elevate it. When you crave a gourmet sandwich for dinner, it has to be special right?
How To Make A Smoked Salmon Sandwich
A sandwich for any meal is super easy.
Grab your ingredients:
- Cold Smoked Salmon
Build your masterpiece:
- I like to toast the bread, but you can ignore this step if you like.
- Spread on the mayo.
- Layer the cheese.
- Pile on the tomatoes and add some pepper (optional).
- Add the salmon slices.
- Top with lettuce.
- Cover with the other slice of bread, slice, and enjoy!
OMG, this is the best recipe for a smoked salmon sandwich ever. So delicious and made in under 10 minutes. Better than any takeout meal.
Easy Smoked Salmon Recipes
There are lots of creative ways to enjoy using this tasty ingredient. As I mentioned, I always have this in the freezer. I buy it at Costco in a box of 10 individual servings. Perfect for any recipe. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Breakfast Tacos – a delicious twist on tacos that are perfect for brunch.
- Cucumber Salad – cucumber noodles are fun to make and eat.
- Warm Potato Salad – great as a dinner salad.
- Salmon and Potato Appetizers – party perfect in every way.
- Stuffed Cucumber Boats – great for summer entertaining.
- Jamie Oliver’s Easy Dinner Plate – an easy dinner in under 15 minutes.
Bread – any bread you like works for this sandwich recipe. I like dense bread that does not fall apart easily. I think I will try some no yeast onion bread next time. I love toasted bread, however, this is optional and untoasted bread is also delicious.
Mayonnaise – can be replaced with butter or tzatziki if you like. You can also skip this ingredient, or add some flavourings to the mayo like dill, capers, Italian or Greek seasoning, or even sun-dried tomatoes.
Cheese – the choice is yours. Every cheese under the sun will work here. You can also use cream cheese and goat cheese.
Lettuce – adds texture and crunch. Romaine, red lettuce, arugula, kale, and spinach are great options.
Tomatoes – the star of the show. Beefsteak, heirloom, and Kumato all work well here.
Seasoning – I just used some fresh ground black pepper. You can season however you like.
Any bread will work. If you are making a substantial sandwich, dense bread like sourdough, pumpernickel or whole grain work best.
Once opened, it should last for 3-4 days. Keep it tightly wrapped.
Always defrost in the fridge. Keep it covered at all times.
It is fully cooked and smoked, so no additional cooking is needed.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Looking for the perfect sandwich bread? These sound like delicious options to me:
Be sure to check out all the delicious sandwiches, wraps, and burgers on this site.
Simple Smoked Salmon Sandwich
- 2½ ounces smoked salmon (cold)
- 2 slices bread (any kind you like)
- 4 ounces tomato (sliced)
- lettuce (as much as you like)
- 1½ ounces cheese (sliced, any kind)
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- black pepper (optional)
- Gather all the ingredients. Slice the tomatoes and set aside.
- Toast your bread.2 slices bread
- Slather toasted bread with mayo.1 tablespoon mayo
- Layer the cheese on one slice of bread.1½ ounces cheese
- Pile on the sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with pepper.4 ounces tomato, black pepper
- Add the smoked salmon.2½ ounces smoked salmon
- Top with the lettuce.lettuce
- Place the other slice of bread on top, cut the sandwich in half and serve.