Are you a smoked fish lover? If so, then this Smoked Salmon Salad with Cucumber Noodles is for you. Perfect for lunch, a starter, or the way we like it, as a “meal-sized salad”.
Slices of smoked salmon on top of fun cucumber noodles coated in a sour cream and dill dressing. Topped with cherry tomatoes, capers, and a turn or two of fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoyed as the main course, this simple smoked salmon dinner salad is easy on the calories too. For a great brunch idea, Smoked Salmon Egg In A Hole is a crowd pleaser.
Smoked salmon and dill definitely are a winning combination. Most people have heard of the deli famous bagel with smoked salmon.
SMOKED SALMON FACTS
Did you know that there are several types of smoked salmon? People do get them confused, but there certainly are differences that make each one unique.
Lox is cured in a brine and NOT smoked. It has a buttery texture and a very salty taste.
Smoked salmon is dry cured in a salt then smoked over a somewhat long period of time. Also known as cold smoked salmon because the temperature never gets above 80 degrees F. Much like my cold smoked cheese. The smoking does not cook the fish, and the texture resembles raw fish.
This type of salmon is the one found most often in stores. Thin slices, vacuum sealed and most often found in the freezer section. You can get it fresh as well.
Hot smoked salmon (also called kippered) is cured in a wet salty brine, then smoked for a few hours at about 120 degrees F (or a little higher).
Then there is gravlax. Salmon is cured and not smoked. This type of curing uses much less salt and ingredients like dill, lemon, sugar, and vodka.
SMOKED SALMON SALAD INGREDIENTS
With a few ingredients, this simple smoked salmon salad comes together in a matter of minutes. You will need:
- Smoked salmon slices
- Cucumber noodles (so much fun to make and eat)
- Sour cream
- Fresh dill
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh cracked black pepper
I made the cucumber noodles with my spiralizer. Do you have one? They are so much fun. Once you make your cucumber noodles, you can use them right away if you like. I wanted to remove some of the excess water, so I placed the noodles in a colander with a bit of salt.
Let them sit for 15 minutes (or so), give them a bit of a rinse (to remove some of the salt), and a good squeeze in a kitchen towel.
Toss the noodles in the sour cream and dill dressing, and place into bowls. Add the smoked salmon slices, and top with the tomatoes, capers and a hit of black pepper. That’s it!
EASY SMOKED SALMON RECIPES
Over the years I have experimented with different ways to enjoy smoked salmon. I happen to think it is a wonderful and delicious ingredient to work with. You can incorporate into recipes from breakfast to dinner.
Here are a few of our favourites:
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Appetizer
- Warm Potato Salad with Dill and Smoked Salmon
- Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate
Smoked Salmon Salad was a staple during these past few HOT summer months. Using up those garden fresh cucumbers and tomatoes certainly was a breeze with this. Great as a main dish (this recipe is perfect for 2 nice sized meal salads). Add a glass of white wine, and dinner is served. Hope you give it a try soon.
What is your favourite way to enjoy smoked salmon?
Don’t forget to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. If you would prefer to get PUSH NOTIFICATIONS instead, CLICK the PURPLE BELL on the bottom right of this page. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Smoked Salmon Salad With Cucumber Noodles
- 1 pound cucumber noodles (spiralized)
- 5 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 1/2 ounces sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (and extra for garnish)
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp capers
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
To Make The Cucumber Noodles:
- Spiralize the cucumber (skin on) into thick noodles.Place in a colander and add about 1/2 tsp. kosher salt.
- Let sit for 15 minutes, rinse, and squeeze dry in a kitchen towel.Place in a large bowl.
To Make The Dressing:
- While the noodles are draining, combine the sour cream and dill in a bowl.Mix well and set aside.
To Arrange The Salad:
- Wash and cut the tomatoes (or leave whole if you wish).
- Add the dressing to the cucumber noodles and combine.
- Divide the noodles into 2 bowls or plates.
- Place the salmon slices in and around the noodles on the plate.
- Top with the tomatoes and capers.
- Garnish with additional fresh dill and cracked black pepper.