This Snap Pea Salad is so easy to make. Sweet, tender raw sugar snap peas combined with a few simple ingredients.
A quick to assemble cucumber and fresh pea salad tossed with a simple sour cream and dill dressing.
You can never go wrong with cool cucumbers in recipes all summer long. Have you tried my stuffed cucumber boats?
When I was a kid, my mom and baba both had HUGE gardens. My favourite vegetable to pick and eat was fresh green peas. As I picked them off the stalk I think I ate as many as I put in the basket. No wonder she always found empty pea pods in my tracks.
Still, to this day, fresh peas eaten raw is like eating candy for me. I love adding them to salads and sandwiches or just dipping them in hummus.
Have you ever tried pea shoots? A great burger topping, just like on these Zucchini Burgers.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this pea salad recipe can be found at the bottom of this post.
Snap Pea Salad Ingredients
I love when it only takes a few ingredients to make a great dish. This easy pea recipe combines:
- raw sugar snap peas
- pickled onions
- sour cream
- dried dill
- salt & pepper
Within a few minutes, you have a quick and healthy salad that is the perfect side to sandwiches, burgers or just a great option. Give this a try alongside fish and chips. The perfect alternative to coleslaw.
Just like my cucumber salad recipe, this pea salad combines sour cream, dill, and pickled onions. Maybe it is the Ukrainian in me, but sour cream and dill is a match made in heaven.
How about pickled onions, are you a fan? In this recipe, I used sour pickled onions, but feel free to use the sweet variety if you prefer.
Preparing Fresh Pea Salad
If you are looking for EASY, this is it!
- Wash the peas, pat dry and thinly slice.
- Wash and cut the cucumber.
- Cut the pickled onions (or not).
- Make the dressing.
- Combine everything in a bowl.
Sugar Snap Peas vs Snow Peas
Who would have known there were so many kinds of peas. When I was a kid the only variety I knew was the garden pea or English pea.
SNAP PEAS are actually a cross between SNOW PEAS and GARDEN PEAS. No wonder I love them so much. You get to eat the WHOLE thing, no shelling necessary.
They are super crisp and super sweet. Most times I eat them raw. Sometimes they have tough strings that need to be removed. Lately, I have found them to be almost stringless.
If you are counting calories, you will be happy to know that snap peas are easy on the calories and are great in the nutrition department too. Zero fat, low carb, high fibre, sounds good to me.
How To Use Sugar Snap Peas
I think you already know my favourite way, but here are some tasty ways to enjoy snap peas:
- raw (perfect for snacking on)
They are best kept in the fridge. I like to wash them, let air dry and keep in a sealed container. So easy to pop open and grab a handful for a quick snack.
Next time you are looking for a super crisp and refreshing salad, this Fresh Snap Pea Salad is a great option. Quick and easy recipes are the best. Plus you can never have too many salad recipes.
What is YOUR favourite way to eat snap peas?
Click the SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the top menu. You will receive a FREE PRINTABLE, recipe suggestions and get on my NEWSLETTER LIST so you will never miss a new post again! FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Fresh Snap Pea Salad
- 5 ounces snap peas (thinly sliced)
- 3 ounces seedless cucumber (diced)
- 1/2 tsp dried dill (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 ounces sour cream
- 2 ounces pickled onions (sour or sweet)
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Dressing:
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, dill, salt, and pepper. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- It is best if you combine this at least 30 minutes (or more) prior to using to enable the flavours to develop.
For the Salad:
- Wash snap peas and pat dry.
- Cut into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Wash and cut the cucumber and add to the bowl with the peas.
- Slice the pickled onions and add to the bowl. I used small onions and cut them in 1/2.
- Add the prepared sour cream dressing to the peas, cucumbers and pickled onions.
- Combine and ENJOY!