Have you always wanted to make your own bread? This Quick Onion Bread is an easy bread recipe for beginners.
Homemade bread without yeast is super easy and tastes delicious. Basically, mix the wet and dry ingredients together. No-kneading required. Pop into a loaf pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
You also need to try these Cheddar Cheese and Onion Muffins. You can never go wrong with onions and cheese!
The hardest part is waiting long enough for it to cool before you slice and devour it! The perfect side to soup and chili. Great onion bread loaf for hearty sandwiches.
Looking for an easy biscuit recipe instead? Look no further, I have you covered. Made in under 30 minutes from start to finish. Take your pick:
- Cottage Cheese Biscuits – a cut biscuit recipe flavoured with everything bagel seasoning. So much better than store-bought canned biscuits.
- Drop Biscuits – no fuss, mix, drop and bake.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this no-yeast quick bread can be found at the bottom of this post.
Are you one of the lucky people who had a mom, or gramma that baked bread? Perhaps you are the baker?
Growing up, I was one of the lucky ones. Now I try to treat my family with this lost art. My artisan olive and sun-dried tomato bread is a great example.
If you follow the simple directions in that post, you will master baking bread in no time. We love this dipped in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The perfect appetizer.
There is nothing I love more than the aroma of bread as it bakes. The smell of the yeast as the dough rises is so intoxicating. Artisan bread seems like such a simple luxury these days. Yet for people like my mom and Baba, this was the only way they knew.
I still remember buying sliced bread as a kid. I thought wow, this is fantastic. The loaf is perfectly sliced all the same thickness.
Although I do still purchase it at the grocery store, I prefer to visit a local bakery, or better yet make my own. I even went through a bread machine phase. In fact, I still have it sitting in the basement.
I am addicted. Baguettes, garlic bread, bread bowls, rye and let’s not forget bagels, pizza dough, and naan. Sourdough, beer bread, dinner rolls, and cheese bread. So many choices. I could eat it every single day and never get bored.
Then we have the sweet variety. Cinnamon buns are always a hit. Basic Banana Bread is the perfect breakfast along with my morning coffee. If you are looking for something really decadent, give my Rocky Road Chocolate Chip Banana Bread a try.
Onion Loaf Recipe Ingredients
- bread flour
- baking powder
- oil (I used bacon-flavoured olive oil)
- diced and cooked onion
As you can see, these are simple basic ingredients. Be sure to look at the suggestions and recipe tips.
If you are new to bread making, no yeast recipes are the perfect place to experiment. You will be totally impressed with the results on the FIRST try.
Making Homemade No-Yeast Onion Bread
Trust me when I say this recipe is super easy, and certainly delivers in the taste department. Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
The first thing to do is cook the onions and set them aside to cool slightly before adding them to the recipe.
Preheat the oven. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. This makes it much easier to remove the baked bread.
- Add your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the cold butter and combine using a knife, fork or pastry mixer.
- Slightly beat the egg.
- Combine the milk and egg, add to the cooked and cooled onion.
- Make a well in the flour mixture.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Scrape dough into your baking pan.
- Bake until done.
- Place the bread dough into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake until done.
- Remove baked bread from the pan, and place it onto a baking rack to cool.
This whole process from start to finish is well under 60 minutes. That includes cooking the onions. I told you this is a breeze to make.
You can use any type of oil you like to cook the onion in. I love the combination of bacon with the browned onions. Feel free to use regular olive oil, avocado oil, or any cooking oil of your choice.
I used bread flour in this recipe. Feel free to use all-purpose flour if you wish. Both work equally well.
Wrap leftovers in plastic, foil, or beeswax wraps. The bread will stay fresh for a couple of days.
Tips for making quick bread:
- Follow the recipe
- Don’t over mix
- Use room temperature ingredients
- Preheat the oven
- Don’t overbake
What is the best kind of onion for this recipe? I used a white onion. Other great choices would be:
Speaking of using onions in recipes, how about in gravy? My homemade onion gravy is the best steak topper hands down. A rich, thick sauce with caramelized onions and red wine. Super easy to make.
You will love the aroma as this bakes. Get the butter ready. You will want to slather it on a nice warm slice. One of the BEST things in the world is warm bread right out of the oven.
Perfect alongside some soup, stew, or even chili. Once you try your hand at making bread at home, you will be hooked!
This flavourful yeast-free onion bread might just become a staple in your house too.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Quick Onion Bread Recipe
- 1 ½ cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces onion (chopped)
- 1 ½ tablespoons bacon flavoured olive oil
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ½ cup milk
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Heat bacon flavoured olive oil in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions until nicely browned. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 375º F.
- Grease a loaf pan or, an 8 inch round or square baking pan and line with parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the COLD butter. Using a knife, or pastry mixer, cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Place the egg in a small bowl and beat with a fork or whisk.
- Add the milk to the egg and mix.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the cooled and cooked onions.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Mix with a spatula to combine.
- Scrape dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in oven until baked. Apaproximately 25 minutes.Bread will be golden. You can use a cake tester to ensure it is baked.
- Remove the bread from the pan. Place on cooling rack.