Have you always wanted to make your own bread? This Onion Bread Recipe is the perfect place to start.
Homemade bread without yeast is super easy and tastes delicious. Basically mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Pop into a loaf pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
You also need to try these Cheddar Cheese and Onion Muffins. You can never go wrong with onions and cheese!
The hardest part is waiting long enough for it to cool before you slice and devour! The perfect side to soup and chili.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for the simple bread recipe are at the bottom of the post.
Are you one of the lucky people who had a mom, or gramma that baked bread? Perhaps you are the baker?
Growing up, I was one of the lucky ones. Now I try to treat my family with this lost art. My artisan olive and sun-dried tomato bread is a great example. If you follow the simple directions in that post, you will master baking bread in no time.
There is nothing I love more than the aroma as it bakes. The smell of the yeast as the dough rises is so intoxicating. Artisan bread seems like such a simple luxury these days. To often time does not allow for this. Yet for people like my mom and baba, this was the only way they knew.
I still remember buying sliced bread as a kid. I thought wow, this is fantastic. The loaf is perfectly sliced all the same thickness.
Although I do still purchase it at the grocery store, I prefer to visit a local bakery, or better yet make my own. I even went through a bread machine phase. In fact I still have it sitting in the basement.
I am addicted. Baguettes, garlic bread, bread bowls, rye and let’s not forget bagels, pizza dough, and naan. Sourdough, beer bread, dinner rolls, and cheese bread. So many choices. I could eat it every single day and never get bored.
Then we have the sweet variety. Cinnamon buns are always a hit. Basic Banana Bread is the perfect breakfast along with my morning coffee. If you are looking for something really decadent, give my Rocky Road Chocolate Chip Banana Bread a try.
Onion Loaf Recipe Ingredients
- bread flour
- baking powder
- oil (I used bacon flavoured olive oil)
- diced and cooked onion
As you can see, these are simple basic ingredients.
If you are new to bread making, no yeast recipes are the perfect place to experiment. You will be totally impressed with the results the FIRST try.
If you are looking to try your hands in a recipe using yeast, Black Olive Tomato Bread is certainly worth a try. In fact, I am overdue in making this one. We love this dipped in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The perfect appetizer.
You can use any type of oil you like to cook the onion in. I love the combination of the *(affiliate) bacon oil with the browned onions. Feel free to use regular olive oil, avocado oil or any cooking oil of your choice.
I used bread flour in this recipe. Feel free to use all-purpose flour if you wish. Both work equally well.
What is the best kind of onion for this recipe? I used white onion. Other great choices would be:
Speaking of using onions in recipes, how about in gravy? My homemade onion gravy is the best steak topper hands-down. A rich, thick sauce with caramelized onions and red wine. Super easy to make.
Making Homemade Onion Bread
Trust me when I say this recipe is super easy, and certainly delivers in the taste department.
The first thing to do is cook the onions and set them aside to cool slightly before adding them in the recipe.
Preheat the oven. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. This makes it much easier to remove the baked bread.
- Add your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the cold butter and combine using a knife, fork or pastry mixer.
- Slightly beat the egg.
- Combine the milk and egg, add to the cooked and cooled onion.
- Make a well in the flour mixture.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Scrape dough into your baking pan.
- Bake until done.
This whole process from start to finish is well under 60 minutes. That includes cooking the onions. I told you this is a breeze to make.
You will love the aroma as this bakes. Get the butter ready. You will want to slather it on a nice warm slice. One the the BEST things in the world is warm bread right out of the oven.
Perfect alongside some soup, stew or even chili. Once you try your hand at making bread at home, you will be hooked! ENJOY!
Give These Delicious No Yeast Recipes A Try:
- Easy Flatbread
- Baking Powder Biscuits
- Bacon Cheddar Cheese Bread
- Paleo Gluten-Free Bread
- Easy Beer Bread
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Onion Bread Recipe
- 1 ½ cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter (cold)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 5 ounces onion (chopped)
- 1 ½ tablespoons bacon flavoured olive oil
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ½ cup milk
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Heat bacon flavoured olive oil in a small pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions until nicely browned. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 375º F.
- Grease a loaf pan or, an 8 inch round or square baking pan and line with parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the COLD butter. Using a knife, or pastry mixer, cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Place the egg in a small bowl and beat with a fork or whisk.
- Add the milk to the egg and mix.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the cooled and cooked onions.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Mix with a spatula to combine.
- Scrape dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in oven until baked. Apaproximately 25 minutes.Bread will be golden. You can use a cake tester to ensure it is baked.
- Remove the bread from the pan. Place on cooling rack.
- Slice and ENJOY!