These over-the-top Cheddar Cheese Muffins are like a drop biscuit in muffin form. Quick and easy to make. They disappear in a flash! A great alternative to bread. Perfect any time of day.
Golden crusty top, fluffy inside and packed with delicious smoked cheddar cheese. The perfect side to tomato crab soup.
I love baking bread. When time permits, this sun-dried tomato and olive bread is a labour of love.
Need some biscuits in a snap? Well, gramma has you covered with her drop biscuit recipe. Vintage recipes are the best.
Sometimes we want a change, and this cafe-style savoury muffin recipe is the answer. They are an excellent bread substitute and make the best cheese dinner muffins.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these cheddar cheese muffins can be found at the bottom of this post.
You won’t believe how easy these are to whip up. You can even change the cheese for different flavours. I mean who doesn’t love cheese? If you love drop biscuits, this muffin recipe will not disappoint.
What Do You Put In Cheddar Cheese Muffins?
Can you guess? LOTS of cheese and some basic ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sour cream
- onion powder
Pretty basic stuff. But don’t think these will taste basic. You can turn these into flavour bundles of cheesy goodness with your selection of cheddar. In fact, it doesn’t have to stop at cheddar, there are lots of options to explore.
- Sour cream can be replaced with Greek yogurt.
- Use (affiliate) smoked sea salt in place of regular salt. It is AWESOME!
- Use ½ all-purpose flour and ½ multi-grain flour or whole-wheat flour for a little change in texture and taste.
- Replace the onion powder with 1-2 tablespoons of finely diced green onion for a stronger onion flavour.
CHEESE ALTERNATIVES, this is the fun and tasty part. You have LOTS of choices (and here are just a few):
- orange mild, medium or strong/old cheddar
- white cheddar cheese of all kinds
- gouda (regular and smoked)
- smoked cheddar cheese (my favourite)
- blue cheese
Take your pick, shake it up. Mix and match. Which ever you choose these will taste fantastic.
How To Bake Savoury Muffins
You are in for a treat, these are SUPER easy to make. Gather all your supplies, and grate the cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, oil and sour cream.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix.
- Add the cheese and combine.
- Place the batter into the prepared (affiliate) muffin tin. I like to use an (affiliate) ice cream/cookie scoop.
- Bake until done.
Look at that cheese in these delicious little gems. That crusty top is like icing on a cake! You have just made the best cheese muffins in town. No bakery can beat this recipe.
Let them cool (but I LOVE to eat them warm right out of the oven). These will NOT last long, so I suggest you make a double batch.
How Long Do Savoury Muffins Keep?
Make sure they are completely cool before storing, or they will become soggy from condensation. I like to keep them in a sealed container on the counter. They will last for 2-3 days.
You can place them in the fridge if you like. I will do this in very hot weather. Be sure to warm them up before eating.
These freeze very well. Place them in freezer bags, or a sealed container. They will last for several months.
What Do You Serve With Cheese Muffins?
They are great with soup, chili, stew, salad, or just warmed up with butter. We enjoy them all day long. Here are some great recipes:
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Savoury Cheddar Cheese Muffins
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 ½ ounces grated cheddar cheese (your choice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup oil (I used avocado)
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Grate cheese and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Wisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and oil. Blend in the sour cream.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add the grated cheese, and mix well.
- Scoop into muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 15-16 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and remove from tin.