Savoury Cheddar Muffins are a great alternative to bread, especially in combination with soups or salads. I often make them to serve with my meals, or just for a tasty “anytime” snack. Great with the addition of herbed butter….yummy!!
The ingredients are pretty simple, but the taste is wonderful. By using different types of flours and cheeses, you can customize this recipe to fit the flavour profile of your meal.
Choose your flours, grate your cheese….put the dried onion flakes into the sour cream along with the milk, eggs and oil.
Combine the flours and the sour cream mixture.
Add in the grated cheese.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins.
Bake at 375° for approximately 18-20 minutes.
And there you have it….warm muffins and a house that smells great.
So the next time you are looking for a great bread alternative, try these Savoury Cheddar Onion Muffins.
For this recipe I used whole wheat and 12 grain flour along with old cheddar.
What is your favourite cheese to use in breads and muffins?
Goes well with Mom’s Pea Soup with Ham!!
Savoury Cheddar Onion Muffins
- 2 cups A combination of whole wheat and 12 grain works great. (your choice)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (your choice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup oil (I used avocado)
- 2 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Grate cheese.
- Choose flour combination.
- Mix dried onion into sour cream.
- Combine flour/flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
- To the sour cream/onion mixture add eggs and oil.
- Combine the flour mixture with the sour cream mixture.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Scoop into muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 18 - 20 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and remove from tin.
- Enjoy with your soup and/or salad...or just for a snack.