Apple Rose Puffs are beautiful to look at and totally delicious to eat.
Easy to make fancy dessert. Apple slices and puff pastry are rolled into a rose-shaped dessert. Presentation perfect. Pretty and elegant.
Think Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day or bridal showers too. This fancy dessert is perfect for birthday parties too. When you want an amazing dessert to impress your guests, this is it!
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these puff pastry apple roses are at the bottom of the post.
I am always looking for fun desserts to make. Even better if they are easy to make too.
These baked apple roses taste just like apple pie.
For This Recipe You Will Need:
Nothing fancy, just some basic ingredients.
- puff pastry (thawed)
- apples (thinly sliced)
- lemon juice
- strawberry jam
- *(affiliate) sugar (for topping)
Best Apples For Baking
There are so many great apple varieties to work with. Some are better for baking, and some are best for cooking.
For baking, choose apples that have a nice balance between sweet and tart. Also, their flesh should be firm enough that it does not break down while baking. Watery apples will cause the recipes to be soggy.
Check your local apple growers to see which apples are available near you. Grocery stores carry some other types as well.
Some great apples for this recipe would be:
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
How To Make Apple Rose Puffs
Although these look fancy, pastry roses are easier to make than you think. If you can slice, fold and roll, you can master these pretty desserts the first try.
- Thaw puff pasty (in the fridge).
- Preheat oven and prepare a muffin tin.
- Wash, core and thinly slice the apples.
- Soften apples (see below).
- Cut puff pastry into strips.
- Spead on jam.
- Layer apple slices.
- Roll into a rose shape.
- Place into muffin tin and bake.
- Sprinkle with sugar and enjoy!
Equipment You May Find Useful
To cut the puff pastry I like to use a *(affiliate) pizza cutter. I find it easy to roll this through the pastry. Of course, a sharp knife works well too.
I like to use a *(affiliate) melon baller to core the apple. You can also use a spoon if you wish.
I am preparing a High Tea themed bridal shower, thought I would give these a try. Oh my gosh!! These took me maybe 10 mins to make so easy, sooo pretty. And the best part so delicious, my 2yr old grandson could not stop saying mmmm while devouring one lol. I can’t wait to display them at the shower. My little tweak on the recipe was instead of spreading jam on the apples I spread a mixture of melted butter mixed with brown sugar and cinnamon then when they came out of the oven I brush the tops with jam, amazing! Thank you for this wonderful recipe.
- Be sure to thaw your puff pastry in the fridge before using it. Work with one sheet at a time, keeping the rest wrapped in a moist towel.
- I used frozen store-bought puff pastry. Feel free to make your own. Here is a great puff pastry recipe.
- You can substitute the strawberry jam in this recipe for any flavour you like. Raspberry or apricot would work well. Caramel sauce is delicious on these too.
- If you don’t want to garnish with coarse sugar, icing sugar would make another pretty topping.
- Be sure the apple slices are soft enough to bend. If not, they will break and make it difficult to roll.
- Serve these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Just like apple pie.
Questions People Ask
Should I peel the apples? You can if you like. I prefer to leave the peel on. I think it makes a pretty presentation.
Can I make apple roses with no puff pastry? Yes, you can. Crescent roll dough or pie dough would work fine in this recipe.
Can you freeze pastry roses? I would say this is not ideal. The pastry will become soggy and the roses may fall apart.
Can you make them ahead of time? I would not make them more than a day ahead of time.
How long will apple roses last? They are best eaten the day of baking. You can keep them for a day or two at the most before they start to get soft.
How do you store them? I would keep them on a plate, covered with some plastic wrap. You can also place them in a container.
Do you have to keep apple roses in the fridge? No, they are best kept at room temperature.
These elegant apple flowers will impress your guests for sure.
Looking For More Easy Apple Recipes?
- If you really want something that is super easy and your guests will love, try Smoked Grilled Apples. These will be the hit at your bbq parties. A great dessert idea.
- Fried apples are so delicious. Perfect for pancakes, waffles and these Fried Apple Tarts.
- Muffins and coffee make a great pairing. Apple Muffins with Toffee Topping are perfect for any time of the day.
- How about some Apple Fig & Oatmeal Muffins for brunch this weekend?
Even better, check out 19 Delicious Ways To Use Apples for more inspiration.
Here are a few more delicious apple desserts ideas to try:
- Rustic Salted Apple Galette is perfect for the weekend brunch, or weeknight dessert.
- If you are a cheesecake lover, this Salted Apple Caramel Cheesecake is calling your name.
- Not sure if you want an apple cake or apple pie? No problem. This Apple Pie Cake is the best of both worlds.
What is YOUR favourite apple dessert recipe?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on social media, and sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER (you get a free download).
Apple Rose Puffs
- 2 sheets puff pastry (thawed)
- 3 apples (your choice I used Pink Lady)
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Prepare a muffin tin. Be sure to spray it WELL as these will stick.
- Wash apples, and cut in ½ and remove core. I used a melon baller.
- Thinly slice apples (skin on).
- Place apples in bowl with lemon juice and enough water to cover the apples.
- Microwave on high until apples can bend without breaking (about 8 minutes).
- Drain and pat dry.
- Slightly roll out the puff pastry, working with one sheet at a time.
- Cut into 6 strips (along the short edge).
- Place jam and water in a bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds just to heat slightly to ease spreading.
- Spread some sauce on the strip of puff pastry.
- Arrange apple slices on the top half of the slice from end to end.
- Fold lower half over apples, and roll.
- Place in muffin tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and done (sauce will bubble into pan).
- Let cool for 5 minutes, loosen and remove to finish cooling.
- Decorate with sprinkles, or wait until completely cooled and sprinkle with icing sugar.