Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Skewers are perfect for backyard feasts. Cooking chicken on the grill is a summer staple, especially bbq chicken kabobs.
This easy grilled chicken recipe is fun to make. Chili lime seasoned chunks of chicken and veggies placed on skewers then cooked on the grill.
We can never get enough grilling season around here. I know you can grill in the winter (and we do). There is something about summer grilling that is so much more enjoyable. For one thing, it is the nice warm weather. The backyard bbq parties would be a little cold in the winter months.
My husband loves to bbq so much we have two grills, one gas, and one charcoal. He certainly loves experimenting with both, and hey he has me in the kitchen to give him something to experiment with. Never a shortage of ideas in this house.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS to make these homemade chicken kebabs can be found at the bottom of this post.
Kabob recipes are always a hit with us. So many variations that you can never get tired of eating them. You can just about choose any meat, fish, veggie or fruit and come up with loads of combinations and grill till your hearts (or stomachs) content.
Have you ever tried grilled lamb koftas?
You see kabobs already made up in the meat section of the grocery store. They are so easy to do, so you don’t need to spend the high price they charge in the store. With a few ingredients and a little effort, you will become a kabob pro in no time.
Honestly, this is one of the EASIEST grilled chicken skewer recipes you can make. Play with the ingredients and make your favourtie combination of meat and veggies.
Speaking of chicken recipes, have you tried Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks? Super crispy skin chicken baked in the oven. You really need to check the post for the secret ingredients. I know it will be a hit in your house.
Shopping List Ingredients
For this chicken kabob recipe you will need:
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- bell peppers
- cocktail tomatoes
- chili lime seasoning
- avocado oil
Pretty basic ingredients right? All that is involved in preparing this recipe is cutting, and placing the meat and veggies on a skewer.
I like to marinate my chunks of chicken for at least an hour before I load them onto the skewers. You don’t have to do this step. I find it helps that wonderful chili lime seasoning really flavour the meat.
Alternatively, you can also use this Rockin’ Meat Marinade for the chicken.
*(affiliate) Chili lime seasoning is so good. Have you used it before? Chicken and lime is such a great flavour combination. Chili lime chicken tacos are delicious. This seasoning can be on the spicy side, so you may need to adjust according to your taste.
For the skewers, you can choose stainless steel (which are reusable), or you can purchase single-use bamboo. We LOVE *(affiliate) double-pronged skewers. The food doesn’t roll around when you turn them while cooking.
Preparing Chili Lime Chicken Skewers
With very little effort, you can whip up a batch of these homemade chicken kabobs in no time. Detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
BONUS these can be made ahead of time (just like buying them in the store) ready and waiting till it is time to grill. That is perfect for allowing time to marinate.
- cut and marinate the chicken chunks with the chili lime seasoning
- cut veggies into nice big chunks
- you can leave mushrooms and cherry tomatoes whole
- place the veggies and chili lime chicken chunks on the skewers
- alternate a few pieces of veggies and a chunk of chicken
- place in the fridge until ready to grill
Alternate the veggies and chunks of chicken on the skewers in no particular order. I like to place either a mushroom or tomato at the very end (makes for a nice presentation). Be sure not to crowd the skewer too tightly. You need some space for the heat to cook everything evenly.
Chicken Kebab Variations
In this recipe, I used chicken breasts. Skinless, boneless chicken thighs are a GREAT alternative.
As far as veggies go, you can just about use anything that can be placed on a skewer. I try to keep the size of veggies as uniform as possible (which is NOT always possible). Trying to get everything cooked evenly at the same time is key.
- red onion
- some jalapenos for added heat
- mini potatoes
How long does it take to grill chicken skewers? The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165º F. These chicken skewers took about 30 minutes at medium heat.
You don’t want to burn the veggies, as they will certainly cook faster than the meat. Be sure to turn the kabobs every 5 minutes or so. Keep the lid of the bbq closed while grilling to keep in the heat and cook things evenly.
You are looking for JUICY chunks of bbq chicken and nicely cooked veggies (I like mine on the crunchy side). The tomatoes will always be soft and juicy.
Once done, remove the grilled chicken skewers to a serving platter. Squeeze on some fresh lime juice. SERVE!
Looking for a couple of sides to go with grilled chicken? Grilled Garlic Scapes are fantastic. This Potato Salad Roundup has lots of great ideas. Grilled Balsamic Strawberries are a simple and stunning dessert.
Start your party with Grilled Shishito Peppers. Sure to be a hit with your guests.
Love grilled kabobs? Give these a try:
Next time you are tempted to buy ready-made kebobs at the store, give this grilled chicken recipe a try.
Have fun coming up with your own creations and stop paying. Happy grilling!
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Skewers
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless/skinless)
- 8 ounces zucchini (thickly sliced)
- 4 ounces cocktail tomatoes (left whole)
- 6 ounces bell peppers (cut into large chunks)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (either whole or cut in 1/2)
- 2 tsp Chili lime seasoning
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (divided)
- 1 Lime (for garnish) (quartered)
To Marinate the Chicken:
- Cut into chunks (about 1-inch size) and place in a bowl.
- Coat with 1 tbsp. of avocado oil.
- Add chili-lime seasoning, and mix to coat evenly.
- Place in fridge to marinate (for 1 hour or longer).
To Assemble the Skewers:
- While the chicken is marinating, wash and cut veggies into chunks.
- Skewer on meat and veggies (alternating groups of veggies between the pieces of meat).
- Preheat grill to medium (about 325º F).
- Using the remaining oil, coat the grill before placing on the kabobs.
- Cook until your desired level of doneness (turning 1/4 turn every 5 minutes).
- Chicken is done when the temperature reaches 165º F.
- Transfer cooked kabobs onto a serving platter.
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice and add garnish.