Loaded Grilled Mushroom Caps with Bacon Maple Dressing make a great starter, or perfect for a light meal. Gluten free friendly!!
We happen to love mushrooms in our house and use them in so many great recipes. Grilled, sautéed, baked, or just raw on a salad, there are numerous delicious ways to incorporate mushrooms into your meals.
Recently I did a guest post for Mushrooms Canada. Since we loved the Grilled Portobello Caprese Salad Stack so much, we had to make one more tasty mushroom dish before the great grilling season ends.
Mushrooms are such a great ingredient to work with. Canadian Inspired Mushroom Bites are a fun party appetizer using famous Canadian Kraft Dinner.
Portobello mushrooms are awesome on the grill. They have a nice “meaty” texture and are sturdy enough to use as a base in salad stacks, or even as a bun for burgers.
These Loaded Grilled Mushroom Caps combine ham, tomato, and cheese, along with a tasty Bacon Maple Dressing to create a satisfying starter dish, and even make a nice light lunch or dinner meal.
Simple to prepare, tasty to eat, mushrooms make any meal great.
For the dressing, I used bacon oil, olive oil, maple balsamic vinegar and smoked sea salt. Combine and set aside until ready to use.
The mushroom caps come together really quickly. Preheat the grill to a medium heat. While the grill is heating get your ham, cheese and tomatoes sliced.
Wipe any dirt off mushrooms and remove the stalk. Brush the inside of the mushroom with some oil. Grill (inside down) for about 5 minutes.
Brush outside of mushrooms, and turn over on the grill. On each mushroom layer your ingredients. I started with cheese, then ham and finally tomato. Grill for an additional 5 minutes so the cheese begins to melt.
Remove from the grill and place on a bed of lettuce. I used butter lettuce, but feel free to use whatever you like. Season with salt and pepper, add a bit of garnish and serve with the dressing on the side.
You can experiment with this recipe and find your favourite combinations. We used yellow tomatoes, smoked cheese and rosemary ham, all on a bed of butter lettuce. Try some different meat and cheese combinations, and even spinach or kale for the base.
Before grilling season comes to an end, give these Loaded Grilled Mushroom Caps a try. Find your favourite combination and incorporate wonderful mushrooms into your meals too.
Have you tried Grilled Hakurei Turnips and Radishes? These Japanese turnips are sweet and a great addition to any bbq dinner.
Be sure to subscribe to my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER so you and grab your FREE printable.
Looking for more mushroom recipes, give these a try:
Loaded Grilled Mushroom Caps
For the Mushrooms:
- 6 fresh portobello mushrooms
- 6 slices ham
- 6 slices cheese
- 6 slices fresh tomato
- Salt & pepper
- Oil (for brushing the mushrooms and the grill)
For the Bacon Maple Dressing:
- 2 tbsp bacon flavoured olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp maple flavoured balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp smoked sea salt
To make the Dressing:
- Combine the bacon oil, olive oil, maple vinegar and sea salt.
- Set aside till ready to use.
To make the Mushrooms:
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Wipe any dirt off mushrooms and remove stalk.
- Get your slices of ham, tomato and cheese ready.
- Brush grill, and inside of mushroom cap with oil.
- Grill mushroom (inside down on the grill) for 5 minutes.
- Brush outside of mushroom with oil, and turn over.
- Layer the mushroom cap with: cheese, ham and then tomato.
- Grill for an additional 5 minutes (until cheese starts to melt).
- Remove from grill and place mushrooms on a bed of lettuce.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with the dressing on the side.