Are you a pate lover? Not so much? This Vegan Mushroom Pate recipe just might sway you into giving it a try.
Mushrooms and lentils combined with pine nuts create an aromatic and healthy pate. Perfect for topping on crackers. Excellent as a mushroom spread on sandwiches and in wraps.
Did you know that lentils make a great meatless pasta sauce? This lentil pasta sauce recipe combines black beluga lentils, dried mushrooms, and red wine. Rich, thick, earthy and so satisfying. You will never miss the meat.
Have you tried poached eggs and lentils for breakfast? Budget-friendly and gluten-free. A great meatless dinner idea too.
I have NEVER tried pate. Why? I do not like liver. That is a simple fact.
I am a HUGE Outlander fan. Recently my wonderful hubby treated me to an Outlander-themed birthday. Included in the gifts, 2 cookbooks to add to my vast collection.
(*affiliate)Outlander Kitchen To The New World And Back Again is the newest edition to the companion cookbooks depicting the foods enjoyed during the era of the show.
As I browsed this beautiful book, I came across a recipe for mushroom pate that looked delicious. We do enjoy mushroom recipes, so I knew this would be a hit.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this vegan pate are at the bottom of this post.
I did change a few of the ingredients since grocery shopping is done every 2-3 weeks at the moment. I wanted to make this right away and swapped out a few things. IT WORKED!
Shopping List Ingredients
For meatless pate you will need:
- fresh mushrooms
- green lentils
- pine nuts
- olive oil
- white onions
- garlic powder
- lemon juice
- fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
The original recipe called for walnuts, fresh garlic and parsley. Feel free to switch up the ingredients if you like. Any way you make this vegetarian pate it will be amazing.
What is Pate?
Traditionally pate is made with liver. It can also contain pork, venison, chicken, fish, duck, and game meat.
Mixed with wine and spices, and cooked until it turns into a spreadable texture.
This meatless recipe uses lentils instead.
Talking about meatless, plant-based eating is the new craze!! Marinated lentils are perfect for so many recipes. Eaten hot or cold, added to salads or soups. Makes the perfect sandwich filling too. This budget-friendly recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and freezer-friendly too.
Vegan Mushroom Pate Procedure
This recipe is SUPER EASY to make. All it takes is a frying pan and a food processor.
I used an immersion blender, but it took a bit of effort to create the creamy texture you really want to achieve.
This is what you do:
- Wash and slice the mushrooms
- Cook the lentils (this can even be done a day ahead)
- Toast the pine nuts in a frying pan
- Cook the mushrooms in the same pan you used for the pine nuts
- Be sure not to brown them, only enough to release their water
- Add all the ingredients into the bowl of your food processor
- Blitz until smooth
- Place in a bowl, cover, and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours
- Garnish and serve
How easy does that sound? So easy!
This recipe will last for 2-3 days. BONUS you can freeze leftovers too. Just thaw in the fridge before using it.
Lentils and mushrooms can be used in so many creative ways.
- Baked Rocccan Lamb Rolls are a fun twist on traditional egg rolls.
- Green Lentil Mini Cream Cheese Balls are perfect for parties.
- Creamy Multiple Mushroom Soup is the ultimate comfort food.
- Mushroom Bites celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday.
- Grilled Mushroom Caps make a great appetizer or light meal. Great for bbq season.
- Red Lentil Meatless Tourtiere is a healthy twist on the Canadian holiday classic.
- Pierogi Sauce is the ultimate creamy mushroom dill topping.
I could literally eat this pate by the spoonful. Great on top of crackers with a glass of white wine. Patio perfect!
Seriously if you have frowned upon eating pate, this recipe is worth a try. I know it will be a hit at all my parties going forward.
It will satisfy both meat lovers and vegans. It is even gluten-free too. A recipe that will please everyone. Perfect as part of a delicious crudites platter.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Vegan Mushroom Pate
- ¾ cup green lentils (before cooking)
- 1 cup pine nuts
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons white onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (extra for garnish)
- 4 ounces white mushrooms (sliced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Rinse lentils in a sieve until water runs clean.
- Place in a pot, cover generously with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until tender (about 15-20 minutes).Drain and set aside.
For the Pine Nuts:
- In a non-stick frying toast the pine nuts over medium heat until lightly browned. Careful not to burn. This should be about 3-4 minutes.Remove from heat, and pour into a bowl to cool.
- Clean and slice mushrooms.
- In the same non-stick pan you used for the nuts, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onions. Cook until water is released from the mushrooms. Careful not to brown the mushrooms. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the brandy and garlic powder. Cook for an additoinal 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Place ALL the ingredients to a food processor.
- Blitz until smooth. Adjust seasonings to your liking. You might want to add more cayenne for a nice kick of heat.
- Place in bowl. Cover and place in fridge for at least 2 hours to chill.
- Garnish with additional thyme leaves and ENJOY!