Made with both fresh and dried mushrooms this Creamy Multiple Mushroom Soup is thick, rich and the perfect start to any meal.
Creamy Multiple Mushroom Soup is one of those comfort foods that just hits the spot, especially on a cold damp day. The earthiness of the mushrooms, the creaminess of the cheese and the satisfaction you get when you eat a nice rich thick soup along with some homemade bread. Ahhh the simple pleasures that taste so good!!This is a pretty basic soup that produces wonderful results every time. I love experimenting with different varieties of mushrooms as they all have their own unique flavour that makes the soup a little different each time. As for dried mushrooms, well they are in their own league. With so many wonderful options available, this allows you to create endless combinations of this wonderful soup.
Pick your mushrooms. For the dried mushrooms I soak them in some white wine to reconstitute, then use the wine in the broth. Sauté the onions and thyme in some olive oil and butter to soften, then add the chopped mushrooms (fresh and dried). Cook for approximately 10 minutes. Add the wine, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
Add some chicken broth and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove about 3/4 cup of broth to melt cream cheese. With an immersion blender, puree the soup.
In a small pot melt the butter. Add the flour and blend. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Add mixture to pureed soup and cook until thickened about 10 minutes.
I use cream cheese in my soup so at this point I would add the room temperature cream cheese to the reserved both to melt. When the cheese is melted, whisk into the soup. Cook for additional 5 minutes.
There you have it rich, creamy, earthy….and oh so yummy. Over the years I have played around with many variations, but I finally have found one that we truly love. Creamy Multiple Mushroom Soup makes it’s way on our dinner table many times throughout the year.
If you LOVE mushrooms, check out my guest post for Mushrooms Canada. Grilled Portobello Caprese Salad Stack is a winner!!
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable.
Creamy Multiple Mushroom Soup
- 7 cups fresh mushrooms (your choice of variety)
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms (your choice of variety)
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 chopped onion
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp butter (to sauté)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (to sauté)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1/2 block cream cheese (room temperature)
- Soak the dried mushroom in the white wine for approximately 1/2 hour. Reserve wine.
- Chop (fresh and dried) mushrooms.
- To the stock pot add butter and olive oil
- Sauté onions with thyme until soft. Add mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Add broth and cook for 20 minutes.
- Reserve a bit of stock in a bowl, then puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- Melt butter in a small pot.
- Add flour and blend till smooth.
- Add cream and bring to a boil.
- Add mixture to pureed soup and cook for 10 minutes until thickened.
- To the reserved stock add the room temperature cream cheese to melt.
- Whisk the cream cheese into the soup.
- Cook additional 5 minutes.