Sirloin Steak Chunky Chili is a comfort food recipe favourite. Perfect for game day, and any night of the week.
This Texas-style chili con carne is the ultimate beef chili. Tender chunks of sirloin steak simmered in a dutch oven. Hearty and delicious.
Give my Spicy Chorizo Chili a try too.
When it comes to winter, all I want is comfort food. If it fits in a bowl I am happy. We love all the soups, stews, and chili recipes this time of year.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this beef chili can be found at the bottom of this post.
Ingredients Needed For This Chili Recipe
- Sirloin Steak – creates tender chunks of meat in your bowl of chili.
- Onion – white, yellow or even red will work.
- Green Bell Peppers – but feel free to use any sweet bell pepper you like.
- Canned Tomatoes – I used chunky tomatoes with chilies and regular diced canned tomatoes.
- Red Kidney Beans – but any kidney bean will work. So will black beans.
- Seasoning – chili powder and cumin are a must for a Texas chili recipe.
- Oil – Olive oil or avocado is the best.
How To Cook Sirloin Steak Chunky Chili
Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Cut, dice and measure all your ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot.
- Brown the onion and garlic.
- Add the meat and cook for several minutes.
- Toss in the green peppers.
- Add the tomatoes beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer.
- After about an hour, remove the lid and continue to cook for about 30 minutes until it thickens.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
Meat – Sirloin steak can be replaced with another cut of steak. Round steak is a good choice. You can even cut up a small roast. Of course, it can also be made with ground beef, a favourite for classic chili.
Spices – You can make this as spicy as you like. Add more chili powder or a combination of different chili powders. Jalapenos are a great addition, and red chili flakes will heat things up too.
Storage – This chili will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge in a covered container. It is freezer friendly too.
Garnish – So many options to top your bowl of chili. Cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt, chopped avocado, green onions, and crumbled nacho chips.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Delicious Sides For Chili
Sirloin Steak Chunky Chili
- 2 pounds sirloin steak (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 4 ounces onions (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces green bell peppers (diced)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 10 ounces canned chopped tomatoes and chilies
- 14 ounces diced canned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 19 ounces red kidney beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat.1 tablespoon oil
- Brown the onion and garlic until soft and translucent (about 4 minutes).4 ounces onions, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the meat, salt and pepper and brown (5-7 minutes).2 pounds sirloin steak, salt and pepper to taste
- Toss in the green peppers and cook for 2 minutes.8 ounces green bell peppers
- Add the seasonings, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.10 ounces canned chopped tomatoes and chilies, 14 ounces diced canned tomatoes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, 19 ounces red kidney beans
- Remove lid, and continue to cook for about 30 minutes until the chili is nice and thick.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.