Extreme Pepper Chunky Chili satisfies the chunky and spicy crowd. Filled with lots of beef, beans and heat it’s the real chili deal!!
Perfect for game days, cold days, or just to curb your chili craving. Have you tried chorizo sausage chili?
We LOVE chili in this house. All kinds of chili…beef, chicken, turkey…even vegetarian chili is great. The one common thing in all the chili’s is that it has to be spicy!! Loaded with beans, veggies, meat….yes…but spicy is a MUST!! This recipe is even better if you make it with roasted tomatoes.
Usually I go the ground meat route, but decided that I had lots of steak in the freezer that needed to be used…and chunky chili was a great way to accomplish this. Now it is our favourite one!
Another thing I love about chili’s is using the slow cooker. Basically a little prep work and dinner cooks while I relax, read or shop, and of course it gives me time to make either muffins or cornbread to go along with the meal. My slow cooker has the option of using it on the stove top for pre-browning, which is great so I have less clean up too. You can also prepare this on the stove top if you prefer.
I always have the staples of canned beans and tomatoes in the house. A large selection of different chili powders are in my spice rack at all times. Basically fresh peppers and jalapenos are the last minute things….so I will usually pick those up during my trip to the grocery store. I love simple foods. It’s not always about the complicated dishes, comfort food hits the spot just fine.
So you know the chili basics…saute the onion and garlic until soft.
Add dried pepper powders and other spices. Add the beef and brown until no red remains.
Transfer pot to crockpot cooking container…and add all the remaining ingredients.
Let it cook on high for 5 hours. I will usually thicken the chili during the last ½ hour of cooking with either cornstarch or arrowroot powder and a bit of water.
There you have it…a wonderful thick, spicy, chunky chili for you to enjoy. You can make a huge batch because it freezes well!!
For add ons to your meal try either of these great recipes. Cornbread is a must with us!!
Extreme Pepper Chunky Chili
- 2 pounds sirloin steak (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 diced onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 dried Ancho chili pepper (rehydrated,seeded and diced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and diced)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Aleppo chili powder
- 1 teaspoons Serrano chili powder
- 1 yellow bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 orange bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes (Petit Cut Black Pepper and Roasted Garlic)
- 28 ounces can of red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a skillet (or if your crockpot has a stove top vessel option) heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add dried peppers, cumin and saute till fragrant.
- Add beef, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and cook till no red remains in the meat.
- At this point...either transfer these ingredients to a slow cooker, or transfer your cooking vessel to the crockpot container.
- To the meat mixture add the diced fresh peppers, tomatoes, beans and broth.
- Mix and cook on high for 5 hours.
- If you like a thicker chili, thicken during the last ½ hour of cooking with cornstarch or arrowroot flour and water.
- Serve with:KK's Cheezy Cornbread
Savoury Cheddar Onion Muffins