Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup recipe with cinnamon chickpeas. Healthy, gluten-free, and only takes a few minutes.
Roasted pumpkin is combined with a few simple ingredients and blended creamy smooth. In fact, my grandkids have named it grandma’s pumpkin soup.
Do you love Fall? I sure do. Nice warm days, cool nights, and bulky sweaters. This is the perfect time for all the pumpkin recipes.
- Pumpkin Latte Recipe – made with pumpkin puree not flavouring.
- Pumpkin Donuts – pairs perfectly with coffee or tea.
- Fall Pastry Rolls – a great alternative to cinnamon rolls.
- Pumpkin Roundup – lots of delicious recipes for all season long.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this blender soup can be found at the bottom of this post.
This Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe Needs:
Super easy to find ingredients that won’t hurt the grocery bill.
- Chicken broth
- Evaporated milk
- Olive oil
- Maple sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Pumpkin seeds
Roasted Pumpkin Soup Is Super Easy To Make
Honestly, your family will think you spent all day making this delicious fall soup. It only takes a little time, but the results are amazing. Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Roast your pumpkin/squash. Continue reading for tips on doing this. In fact, it can be done ahead of time.
- Roast the chickpeas.
- Combine the soup ingredients (minus the garnish) and blend.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve.
If you have never attempted homemade soup before, this is worth a try. You will be amazed at the results.
Here are a few roasted vegetable soups we devour:
Really the hardest thing about this soup is roasting the pumpkin/squash. If you have never done that before, it is not difficult.
- Peel and cut your squash into cubes.
- Put the cubes in a roasting dish, coat them in a bit of oil, and add some seasoning (I used onion powder, cinnamon, and ginger).
- Bake at 400º F until tender, about 30 minutes.
Alternatively, you can bake your squash another way.
- Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds,
- Place it cut-side down on a baking tray, and roast until done.
- Scoop the cooked pumpkin out of the shell.
Be sure to save the seeds. Roasted pumpkin seeds are SO delicious and make a healthy snack.
Roasting the pumpkin or squash can be done ahead of time and placed in the fridge until ready to use. You can also roast frozen butternut squash in place of fresh. No need to thaw before cooking.
Chickpeas can be canned or cooked from scratch if you prefer. When using canned, be sure to rinse thoroughly before cooking.
Broth can be chicken or vegetable if you are looking for a vegan option.
Evaporated milk can be replaced with heavy cream if you prefer.
Blending can be done using a hand-held immersion blender or regular blender. You may have to do it in batches if your blender is small. If you have a blender with a soup setting, then you won’t even have to heat it, the soup will be at serving temperature.
Store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days.
Soup can be made a day or two in advance and reheated in a pot on the stove when needed. You can even roast the chickpeas ahead of time and keep them in a plastic bag or sealed container.
Is Squash A Pumpkin?
This can be a debate among some people. Both belong to the Cucurbitaceae family. They are actually a FRUIT!
They have a few subtle differences. Pumpkins have thicker, stiffer, spiker stems. They are round and orange in colour.
So pumpkin is a type of squash. They can be substituted in recipes. For this recipe, I actually used butternut squash. Just like a nut is a nut, a pumpkin is a squash.
There are LOTS of varieties of squash and I have some great recipes for you to try:
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Squash is presentation perfect for your holiday table.
- Chorizo Chili is comfort food in a bowl.
- Puy Lentil Sauce is perfect over spaghetti squash.
- Roasted slices of acorn squash are a great side dish for any meal.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Looking for more recipes for blender soups? Give these a try:
I love all the recipes that fall brings. 19 Delicious Ways To Use Apples will have you heading to the apple orchard for sure.
Best Roasted Pumpkin Soup
For the Soup:
- 3 pounds cooked squash/pumpkin (any variety)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup canned evaporated milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the Chickpeas:
- 19 ounces can of chickpeas (drained/rinsed and patted dry)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons maple sugar
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
To Roast the Pumpkin:
- **Roast the squash/pumpkin ahead of time**
- Place peeled and cut squash in a roasting pan.
- Coat with a bit of olive oil and seasoning of your choice.
- Roast at 400º F for about 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place cut-side down on a baking dish.
- Roast until done, about 30 minutes.
- Scoop cooked squash out of the shell.
To make the Soup:
- Place soup ingredients in a blender. (Do this in batches) Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- If you don’t have a soup setting on your blender, warm the soup in a pot.
To make the Chickpeas:
- Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas.
- Heat oil in a small fry pan.
- Cook chickpeas until golden.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar, mix to coat well.
- Ladle warm soup into bowls.
- Garnish with chickpeas and pumpkin seeds. and serve.