Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup with cinnamon chickpeas. Healthy, gluten-free and only takes a few minutes.
Roasted pumpkin is combined with a few simple ingredients and blended creamy smooth. This easy pumpkin soup from scratch is the best pumpkin soup ever!
Do you love Fall? I sure do. Nice warm days, cool nights and bulky sweaters. This is the perfect time for all the pumpkin recipes, like this roast pumpkin soup. These I could handle all year round. In fact, I do. Pumpkin lattes are something I enjoy all year long. So many wonderful flavours of the season, keeps you eating tasty recipes for breakfast till dessert.
Fall is also hectic. We have so many birthday celebrations, then throw in Thanksgiving and don’t even get me started on Christmas. Are you so busy you can’t find the time to cook?
Need a great fall side dish that is perfect for the holiday dinner table? How about some roasted slices of acorn squash? This recipe only needs 4 ingredients. Easy to make and presentation perfect.
I love all the recipes that fall brings. 19 Delicious Ways To Use Apples is perfect to get the fall flavours underway.
This creamy pumpkin soup recipe just might become your “go-to” family favourite.
Soup is always the best remedy when you are under the weather. Wrapping your hands around a bowl of homemade soup is so comforting. Did you know I have a great cough remedy that really works?
There are so many delicious foods and colours in the Fall flavour profile, I can never get enough of them. Apples, pumpkins, squashes, brussels sprouts. So many wonderful things to make and eat. Cookies, tarts, bread, delicious soups and casseroles. The combinations are endless. This is comfort food season at its best.
Soup is always such a great Fall food. With so many wonderful ingredients to choose from, you can make soup all season long and not have to worry about running out of variety.
I especially love to roast my vegetables to make soup. The flavour is so intense. We always roast or grill veggies, except for creamy mashed potatoes. Now is the BEST time of year to grab these vegetables at the markets.
Here are a few roasted vegetable soups we devour:
Orange Cauliflower Blender Soup (such a cool looking cauliflower)
INGREDIENTS FOR ROASTED PUMPKIN SOUP
Pumpkin soup is a favourite around here. Seriously it doesn’t get easier than this. Made in a blender, you can have fresh soup on the table in no time.
This is perfect if you have never attempted homemade soup from scratch before. You will be amazed at how easy it is.
You will need:
- roasted pumpkin (Don’t worry, this is SUPER easy to do. Keep reading, I will tell you how)
- chicken broth (you can use homemade or store-bought)
- evaporated milk
- chickpeas (I used canned, super convenient)
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- maple sugar
- raw pumpkin seeds
IS A SQUASH A PUMPKIN?
This can be a debate among some people. They both belong to the Cucurbitaceae family. They are actually a FRUIT!
They have a few subtle differences. Pumpkins have thicker, stiffer, spiker stems. They are round and orange in colour.
So pumpkin is a type of squash. They can be substituted in recipes. For this recipe, I actually used butternut squash. Just like a nut is a nut, a pumpkin is a squash.
There are LOTS of varieties of squash. Check out my Sausage and Apple Stuffed Squash post. I have all the squash varieties listed there.
Spaghetti squash is super fun to cook. A great alternative to pasta. Paired with my Puy Lentil Sauce, it makes the perfect meatless Monday meal.
If you are a chili lover, I use butternut squash in my Chorizo Chili recipe.
Did you know that canned pumpkin puree can actually contain squash? YUP! Read this interesting article from TheKitchn.
HOW TO ROAST PUMPKIN
Really the hardest thing about this soup is roasting the pumpkin/squash. If you have never done that before, it is not difficult.
Let’s get started:
- Peel and cut your squash into cubes.
- Put the cubes in a roasting dish, coat them in a bit of oil, add some seasoning (I used onion powder, cinnamon, and ginger).
- Bake at 400º F until tender, about 30 minutes.
Alternatively, you can bake your squash another way.
- Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds,
- Place it cut-side down on a baking tray, and roast until done.
- Scoop the cooked pumpkin out of the shell.
Be sure to SAVE the seeds. Roasted pumpkin seeds are SO delicious and make a healthy snack. If you have not done this before, check out this great recipe from Food Network Magazine.
Have you ever made soup in a blender before? You are in for a treat!
All you do is place your ingredients in a blender and blitz!. Seriously it’s as easy as that.
We have a *Vitamix that has a soup setting. This easy roasted pumpkin soup is creamy and HOT and the end of this cycle.
If you do not have this setting on your blender, don’t fret. I have you covered!
You can use a regular blender. You might have to do it in batches depending on the size and power of your blender.
Alternatively, you can use an *immersion blender (I LOVE this kitchen gadget. It makes the mashed potatoes silky SMOOTH). Place all the ingredients in a pot and blend until silky smooth.
Warm your pumpkin soup in a pot and serve.
TIME-SAVING BONUS: You can actually roast the pumpkin a few days ahead of time. Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge till ready to use.
Fresh homemade soup will be ready faster than pizza delivery!!
Garnish with pan-roasted chickpeas. I like to make these while the pumpkin is roasting. They too can be made ahead of time.
- Add some oil to a heavy-bottomed pan and heat over medium-high.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas and cook until nicely browned.
- Season with cinnamon and maple sugar while still warm.
For additional colour and texture, I also use *raw pumpkin seeds.
This would also be the perfect time for those yummy roasted pumpkin seeds I was talking about.
If you have never attempted homemade soup before, this Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup is certainly worth a try.
It makes a large batch, so you have leftovers for another busy day or two during the week. Quick and easy recipes not only saves time but also money since you won’t have to rely on takeout. Wholesome cooking doesn’t have to be time-consuming. ENJOY!
What is your favourite way to use fresh roasted pumpkin or squash?
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER so you never miss a recipe and grab your FREE printable. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Looking for more delicious roasted pumpkin recipes? Give these a try:
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup (Blender)
For the Soup:
- 3 pounds cooked squash/pumpkin (any variety)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup canned evaporated milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the Chickpeas:
- 19 ounces can of chickpeas (drained/rinsed and patted dry)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons maple sugar
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
To make the Soup:
- Place soup ingredients in a blender. (Do this in batches) Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- If you don't have a soup setting on your blender, warm the soup in a pot.
To make the Chickpeas:
- Heat oil in a small fry pan.
- Cook chickpeas until golden.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar, mix to coat well.
- Ladle warm soup into bowls.
- Garnish with chickpeas and pumpkin seeds.
To Roast the Pumpkin:
- **Roast the squash/pumpkin ahead of time**
- Place peeled and cut squash in a roasting pan.
- Coat with a bit of olive oil and seasoning of your choice.
- Roast at 400º F for about 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place cut-side down on a baking dish.
- Roast until done, about 30 minutes.
- Scoop cooked squash out of the shell.