Simple, uncomplicated, and delicious, Roasted Squash Slices only require 4 ingredients. Fall cooking is here.
Perfect side dish for the holiday table. Savory baked acorn squash slices are sugar-free and gluten-free. Roasted, caramelized autumn vegetable that is company-worthy.
We all need some easy holiday recipes. If you love stuffed squash, this recipe for healthy oven-baked slices will be a hit.
You might also want to try this easy gravy recipe (perfect every time) and boozy cranberry sauce. Both are made in under 15 minutes with very few ingredients. You can even make them ahead of time too.
Looking for a simple side to bring to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner? Need an easy weeknight roasted veggie? This is perfect.
It’s an awesome recipe for beginner cooks. Simple ingredients, great results. It is a winner, and so delicious. Even experienced cooks will love the ease of this roasted vegetable dish.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this savory roasted squash are at the bottom of this post.
We love using squash in so many ways. It is such a versatile vegetable.
Roasted butternut squash is used to make this flavourful Chorizo Chili. The perfect dish to warm up with on a cold day.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup is so easy to make. Your family will think you cooked all day. If you have never made a blender soup before, you really need to give this recipe a try.
Spaghetti squash has to be the coolest thing ever. The perfect pasta replacement and pairs great with this Lentil Pasta Sauce. Great for plant-based eating.
Simple Ingredients For This Roasted Squash Recipe
- Acorn squash
- Olive oil
- Balsamic glaze
- Feta cheese
See, I told you this easy recipe only needs a few ingredients. Variations to this recipe are listed below.
Now, let’s get cooking.
Roasting Squash Slices
You will be amazed at how easy it is to cook squash slices in the oven.
- Wash the squash, cut in half and scoop out the seeds. You don’t even have to peel it!
- Slice into about 1 inch thick wedges, and place in a large bowl.
- Coat with oil, and arrange on a baking dish.
- Roast in the oven for about 25 mintues.
- Slices will feel soft when touched with a fork, and will have some nice brown edges.
- Remove from oven, and arrange on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Top with feta cheese.
Seriously, this has got to be the easiest baked vegetable dish ever. Just in time for all the holiday gatherings. The perfect side to Turkey Veronique, or your traditional holiday bird or baked ham.
Recipe Variations And Tips
Other varieties can be used in place of acorn squash. Great alternatives would be butternut or pepper squash.
Maple syrup or honey can be used in place of the balsamic glaze. Note these will give a sweet taste instead of savory.
Goat cheese, parmesan, or any cheese can be substituted for feta cheese.
Additional toppings can include dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
Avocado oil is a great alternative to olive oil. Any cooking oil will work in this recipe.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge. It will easily last 3 days or so. Heat/warm-up in the oven. I like to place it in a foil-covered baking dish.
Peeling is not necessary and makes a great presentation. However, if you prefer, you can peel away.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Each variety has some size, texture, and taste differences. They call all be roasted, boiled, or even cooked in the microwave.
Absolutely! In fact, roasted pumpkin seeds make a great snack. You can also roast the seeds from other varieties too.
There are both summer and winter varieties, and between the 2 there are over 100 types of squash.
Savory Roasted Squash Slices
- 3 pound Acorn squash (1 large squash)
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1 ounce balsamic glaze (store-bought)
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds.
- Slice into wedges about 1 inch thick. Place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat the slices well.
- Place the coated squash slices into the baking dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, turning once during cooking. Slices will be soft to the touch using a fork slightly brown when done.
- Remove from oven, and place the cooked squash on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
- Garnish with the feta cheese.