Broccoli Overload Soup is quick and easy using minimal ingredients but delivering huge flavour. Can be made creamy, cheesy or both!! This is one of those “you don’t need a recipe” dishes that lets you experiment to your hearts content.
Broccoli soup is one of my favourite soups to make. Sometimes I make it just because I crave it, and sometimes I make it because I have broccoli overload in the fridge and have to use it up. It has to be one of the simplest soups to make, and I always have lots of fun making it taste a little different each time. It all depends on the ingredients you decide to use.
Depending on the broth you choose, deciding to make it creamy or not and if you want to make it cheesy. Whatever your taste buds desire it’s just a few minutes away. Don’t forget to experiment with different spices and herbs too. You basically can’t go wrong with this soup.
I started with about 12 cups of broccoli. I diced and sautéed 2 onions in olive oil and seasoned them with salt, pepper, sweet smoky paprika (my secret ingredient) and Scarborough Fair seasoning. Next I poured in 32 ounces of chicken broth. I brought the broth and broccoli to a boil, and cooked it till the broccoli was fork tender (about 15 minutes).
I turned off the heat and used my immersion blender to puree the broccoli into the broth. At this point you can decide if the soup is thick enough. To thicken the soup I use either cornstarch or arrowroot flour. Mix your desired amount of thickener with a bit of cold water. Pour the mixture into your pot, and bring the soup back to a boil. If it is thick enough great, if not add more starch/flour until you are satisfied with the results.
Now the fun starts. I decided to make it creamy, so I added a can of evaporated milk. I prefer this to fresh cream/milk, but you can use either. Since it was a cold winter day I thought I would like it to be cheesy so I added about 3 cups of shredded cheese. Heated everything through until the milk was hot and the cheese was melted. Broccoli Overload Soup is ready, grab a bowl and enjoy!!
You really have lots of leeway with this one. Choose whatever broth flavour you like. If you choose mushroom broth add some mushrooms as well with the broccoli. Broth can be canned or homemade. Creamy or not it’s up to you. For the cheese experiment with different cheeses, or add a couple of flavours to spice it up. For a special treat add a splash of wine (your choice) when you sauté your onions.
Next time you have broccoli to use up Broccoli Overload Soup is quick, easy and so delicious.
Enjoy this soup with Savoury Cheddar Onion Muffins !!
Broccoli Overload Soup
- 12 cups Broccoli
- 2 Onions
- 32 ounces Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoons Scarborough Fair seasoning
- ½ teaspoons Hot Smoked Paprika
- Cornstarch or Arrowroot Flour for thickening
- 1 - 1 ½ cups Milk (if you want a creamy soup(
- 3 cups Shredded Cheese (if you want a cheesy soup)
- Get out your favourite soup pot!!
- Wash and break broccoli into florets.
- Add about 2 tbsp. olive oil to the pot and heat.
- Dice and sauté onions in oil with seasonings.
- Add broccoli and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add your choice of broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer till broccoli is fork tender.
- Remove from heat and use immersion blender to puree.
- Bring soup back to a boil.
- If you want a thicker soup, thicken with your preferred method.
- If you want it creamy, add the milk and heat through.
- If you want a cheese soup, add the cheese and heat through.
- Ladle into bowls, add croutons and ENJOY!!
I prefer to use canned evaporated milk, but the choice is yours. For added taste you can also add a splash of wine while sautéing the onions. Depending on the amount of broccoli you have to use, adjust the amount of the broth, milk and cheese to easily make a smaller amount of soup.