Meatless doesn’t mean unsatisfying. Poached Eggs & Lentil Hash is so hearty you won’t miss the meat I promise! Healthy, packed with veggies and lots of protein.
Lentils and eggs create a protein-packed meal for brunch or dinner. If you have never tried black beluga lentils, check out this recipe. Meatless and gluten-free too.
Foolproof poached eggs are easier than you think. Check out below for ALL the ways you can poach an egg.
Most households try to incorporate healthy eating into the meal plan a few times a week (or more). Our house is no exception. However, boring food is not an option. It can be healthy, but it has to be tasty too.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for lentils with eggs are at the bottom of this post.
Eggs are a great way to pack in some protein. We always have hard-boiled eggs in the fridge for snacking. Perfect for on the go any time of the day, and also ready to whip up some flavoured devilled eggs too.
Have you ever tried Pickled Eggs? By far the most popular post on my blog.
Ingredients Shopping List
In this poached egg recipe, I have combined cooked lentils and lots of veggies to create a hearty, delicious meal. If you are looking to cut down on meat, this is the perfect place to start.
- lentils (pre-cooked or canned)
- bell pepper
- fresh tomatoes
- Sriracha sauce
- All-purpose seasoning
- salt & pepper
If you do not want to cook dry lentils, no problem. Feel free to use canned lentils for this recipe.
They are also known as caviar lentils. Less common than the traditional red, yellow and green lentils. They retain their shape when cooked, and remain on the firmer side.
You can easily substitute in *(affiliate) French green lentils. Give my Puy Lentil Recipe for a healthy pasta sauce a try. They work great in Green Lentil Cream Cheese Balls too. A fun and healthy appetizer.
In fact, marinated lentils are perfect with these varieties as well. A budget-friendly, versatile and easy to make. Meatless recipes with endless opportunities.
Making Poached Eggs and Lentil Hash
Parts of this recipe can be made ahead of time.
If you are using canned lentils, they are already cooked. If you are using dry lentils, you will have to cook them before adding them to the recipe. Check package directions. They can be prepared up to a few days ahead of time and kept in the fridge till ready to use.
Preparing The Hash
- Pre-cook lentils (or use canned, be sure to rinse and drain).
- Dice up all the veggies and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add onions and seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes, cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and Sriracha, cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with poached eggs, garnish parsley and ENJOY!
I used *(affiliate) All-purpose seasoning for this recipe. Feel free to swap it out for *(affiliate) Italian, Greek or your favourite blend. If you prefer a non-spicy version, leave out the *(affiliate) Sriracha sauce.
Easiest Way To Poach An Egg
Do you have a favourtie way of making poached eggs? I have tried all kinds of cooking methods.
- sous vide method
- egg poacher cups
- electric egg poacher
- poached eggs with cling film (see below)
- muffin tin poached eggs
- in a pot of water with/without vinegar (like I used)
- air fryer method
Since there are so many ways to make that perfect egg, I will let YOU decide on which method you prefer.
To make these easy poached eggs I used the simple method of a pot and simmering water. No vinegar, no swirling, no “secret” technique. These were the best poached eggs I have ever made.
- Get a pot of water to boiling
- Turn down the heat to just above a simmer.
- Gently drop each egg into the water (I like to break them into a small dish first).
- DO NOT swirl or touch the eggs.
- Simmer about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel covered plate to drain.
If you prefer, I have also tried the Jamie Oliver cling film method:
- Place a piece of film over a cup and cover with cooking spray.
- Break the egg onto the film.
- Gather the edges, squeeze out the air, and twist to secure and tie into a knot.
- Repeat for ALL the eggs you wish to cook.
- Place the egg bundles into a pot of boiling water.
- Simmer the eggs until they reach your desired level of perfection.
- Remove from water and unwrap.
- Cold eggs will take longer to cook than room temperature eggs.
- The size of the egg will also determine the cooking time.
- Typically a large egg will cook in 4-5 minutes for a soft-firm texture.
Can you reheat a poached egg? Yes! They are best consumed immediately, but you can store them in the fridge and reheat them.
Simply remove from the fridge, place in a pot of hot water to heat.
You can also reheat them in the oven. Carefully place eggs on a greased baking dish, covered with foil and place in a moderate oven (300º F) for about 10 minutes. Worked like a charm. Woo Hoo, another great way to make poached eggs for a crowd.
Looking for healthy meal alternatives? Poached Eggs & Lentil Hash delivers on taste and nutrition. Hope you give this recipe try soon.
More Main Course Egg Recipes
- Egg Muffin Baked Omelette
- Egg Tacos with Smoked Salmon
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Biscuits
- Garlic Rice with Fried Egg
- Classic Eggs Benedict
- Spicy Tomato Egg Skillet
Click the SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the top menu. You will receive a FREE PRINTABLE, recipe suggestions and get on my NEWSLETTER LIST so you will never miss a new post again! FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Poached Eggs & Lentil Hash
- 3 cups lentils (pre-cooked or canned)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 4-5 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Parsley (for garnish)
- 8 eggs (poached)
- Pre-cook your lentils (this can be done a day or two in advance).
- If you are using canned lentils, be sure drain and rinse throughly before using.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet.
- Add onions and all-purpose seasoning. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and sriracha, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with poached eggs. (Cooked however you like)
- Garnish with parsley.