Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers are packed with protein and the flavours of crab, spinach and goat cheese. Meatless and loaded with lots of flavours.
Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. This classic comfort food looks fancy but is super easy to make.
This meatless quinoa casserole is perfect for Mexican food lovers. A Tex-Mex quinoa filling layered between tortillas. Mexcian lasagna is a winner in our house.
Old-fashioned stuffed peppers are such a great meal. You can fill them up with just about anything.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these stuffed bell peppers with quinoa can be found at the bottom of this post.
Pescatarian stuffed peppers without rice are full of protein and flavour. Crab and quinoa certainly pack a punch in this meat-free meal.
Canned fish is so affordable, and works great in recipes. Ever tried sardines? This sardine pasta recipe is made in under 30 minutes. Perfect for making easy and delicious meals at home.
Since adding whole grains to your diet is super healthy and nutritious, using them in recipes is easy. Buckwheat Scallop Salad is another hearty dish that can be used as a starter or the main dish.
If southern food is your thing, then this fun twist on shrimp and grits is sure to please. Served as a salad. Perfect as an appetizer or main dish. Try it on the weekend brunch. Your guests will love it.
Ingredients For Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Bell peppers
- Cooked quinoa
- Canned crab
- Goat Cheese
- Fresh spinach
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper
I also have suggestions and substitutions listed below.
Preparing Stuffed Bell Peppers
Easy stuffed peppers make a great meal for any day of the week. Perfect for taking to potlucks too. Full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Precook the quinoa according to package directions. Since it increases 3 times when cooked, ⅔ cup dry = 2 cups cooked.
- Cut the peppers in half and hollow out the seeds. I find a spoon works great.
- Place them in a casserole dish.
- Mix all stuffing ingredients in a bowl.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture.
- Top with the bread crumbs.
- Bake. Peppers should be fork tender when done.
In about 40 minutes, dinner is ready. Garnish and enjoy.
- Bell Peppers – any colour will work.
- Quinoa – can be replaced with cooked white or brown rice. Couscous is also another great choice. These can be cooked ahead of time and placed in the fridge until ready to use.
- Canned Crab – canned salmon or canned tuna are great alternatives.
- Old Bay Seasoning – works great in this recipe. Not a fan? Try Italian or Greek seasoning.
- Spinach – is so nutritious. Kale is another great choice.
- Cheese – I love working with goat cheese. You can use any soft cheese, or grate harder cheese like cheddar if you prefer.
- Breadcrumbs – Panko works best, but Italian breadcrumbs are a good alternative.
- Garnish – lemon, lime or any chopped fresh herbs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely. When cool keep them refrigerated in an airtight container. They will last for 2-3 days. They can also be frozen for longer storage.
Oven Method: Cover with foil and heat in a moderate oven (350ºF) for about 20-25 minutes. Check the temperature to make sure they are heated through.
Microwave Method: Heat each pepper on high for about 2 minutes.
Heating from frozen will take longer with either method.
This is not necessary, and I did not pre-cook them for this recipe. Just make sure they are fork-tender when done.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Looking for more tasty stuffed recipes? Here are a few to try:
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Squash – presentation perfect for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Grilled Mushroom Caps – makes a great starter for any bbq party.
- Cucumber Appetizers with Smoked Salmon – always a hit on the party tray.
- Mushroom Bites – stuffed with mac and cheese.
- Stuffed Sweet Onions – made with couscous.
- Stuffed Artichokes – a true classic.
- Smoked Apples – a great dessert made on the barbecue.
Check out some of my other casserole recipes for easy meal ideas.
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (washed,cut and hollowed out)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cans of crab meat (120 grams each)
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (for the recipe & garnish)
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges
- Pre-cook your quinoa.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Place the peppers in a prepared casserole dish.
- Drain the canned crab meat..
- In a bowl add the quinoa, crab, seasonings, goat cheese and mix well to combine.
- Add in 2 oz. of the chopped spinach and mix to combine.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture.
- In a bowl combine the panko crumbs and olive oil till the crumbs are well coated.
- Sprinkle over each pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes, or until the peppers are cooked to your desired level of firmness.
- Place the rest of the chopped spinach on a serving platter. Place the cooked peppers on top.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.