Fruity, nutty, sweet with heat, this Buckwheat & Scallop Salad makes a great lunch or dinner option. The fresh orange dressing gives a great citrus zing that compliments the flavours of the salad so well.
I love making salads with interesting ingredients, there are so many flavours to work with. Creating salads with different textures is a great way to experiment with loads of wonderful options. Salads are so versatile, you can eat them for lunch or create a little heartier version for a nice dinner option. Adding protein is a great way to boost both flavour and substance.
This Buckwheat & Scallop Salad with Fresh Orange Dressing is filled with lots of healthy ingredients. White Buckwheat, pumpkin seeds, goji berries, nectarines, scallops all dressed with a fresh dressing and topped with hemp seeds.
Basically you start with cooking some buckwheat. I only cook it for about 10 minutes, then I drain any excess water, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. I love the texture of buckwheat and don’t like it to be too soft.
To the cooked buckwheat I add nectarines, goji berries and pumpkin seeds.
The dressing is so easy and simple and the flavour is fantastic. I combine an orange, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, olive oil and agave nectar in a blender…and voila the most amazing salad dressing appears.
Pour some of this amazing dressing on the ingredients and place in the fridge. I like to do this a couple of hours before serving to give the ingredients a chance to blend nicely together.
For this salad hubby sprinkled the scallops with some red pepper flakes to add a nice heat level and seared them on the BBQ in a cast iron skillet.
On the plate I placed some awesome butter lettuce, added the buckwheat salad, topped it with the seared scallops, drizzled some additional dressing and sprinkled with hemp seeds. Dinner is served!! Healthy, hearty and oh so tasty.
Next time you are in the mood for a great salad…this Buckwheat & Scallop Salad with Fresh Orange Dressing is worth a try. You can also change up the protein for another option….or leave it out all together.
Looking for more salad options this Harvest Salad with Pomegranate Yogurt Dressing is wonderful too!!
Buckwheat & Scallop Salad with Fresh Orange Dressing
For the Salad:
- 1 cup uncooked white buckwheat
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 3/4 cup diced fresh nectarines
- fresh scallops (2-3 per serving)
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oil for searing the scallops (your choice)
- hemp seeds (for garnish)
For the Dressing:
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 ounce pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- Cook the buckwheat in 2 cups of cold water for about 10-12 minutes. DON'T overcook. Drain excess liquid and rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking process. Buckwheat should still have a firm texture. Place in bowl to cool.
- For the Dressing: Use a blender or immersion blender for this process.
- Peel the orange and puree. NOTE: If the orange is dry add about 1 oz. of water.
- Slowly blend in olive oil.
- Add pomegranate balsamic vinegar.
- Add agave nectar.
- Dice nectarines.
- Add the nectarines, pumpkin seeds and goji berries to the cooled buckwheat.
- Add some of the dressing to the mixture and place in the fridge to allow the flavours to blend.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (we did ours on the BBQ) with some olive oil added.
- Sprinkle the scallops with red pepper flakes.
- Sear on both sides.
- Place some greens on a plate (I used butter lettuce)
- Add the buckwheat salad.
- Top with seared scallops.
- Drizzle with additional dressing.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds.
Harvest Salad with Pomegranate Yogurt Dressing