Summer is all about great salads. This Healthy Mediterranean Tuna Avocado Salad is packed with flavours, and hearty enough to be a meal. No time to make dinner? Yes there is with this quick and easy salad.
If you are like me, we eat more salad in the summer than any other time of year. With all the BBQ parties and backyard cookouts, salads are staples that are perfect for entertaining. Bonus, Mediterranean Canned Tuna Pasta Toss can be eaten cold too!
I am always looking for new and interesting combinations, and the healthier the better. Both my daughters request salads on their birthdays. One LOVES potato salad, and the other, pasta salad. I have my tried and true versions I make for them every year on their special day (heaven forbid I break tradition).
While both of these are “mayo based” salads, I prefer using flavoured vinegars, oils and citrus juices to make salad dressings. Creamy Goat Cheese Greek Zoodle Salad is the perfect example of what I am talking about. Oil and lemon juice combined with tangy goat cheese make the perfect creamy (no mayo) salad.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SUMMER SALAD?
With the warm weather, sometimes all you want to eat is a salad. Nothing beats a great dinner salad and a glass of wine on a hot summer day. Perfect backyard eating, and no slaving in the kitchen either. Gotta enjoy that weather while you can.
This Tuna Avocado Salad is the perfect dinner salad. Packed with nutrition, bursting with flavour, and filled with fibre, you will be full and satisfied. My husband loves having salads for dinner. He says it leaves more room for dessert.
This Mediterranean salad is so easy to make. Avocados, Rio tuna, fresh tomatoes, artichokes, feta cheese, olives and Romano beans are tossed in an oil and vinegar dressing. Served over a bed of spinach and garnished with some fresh basil, this salad is nutritious and delicious.
Have you ever tried Rio tuna before? It comes from Italy and is packed in olive oil with a touch of sea salt. It’s meaty texture and pink colour make it stand out from the other brands, along with the excellent quality of the fish. Consumers are able to trace from the time the fish is caught, all the way to when it is processed just by the label. Knowing I am eating high quality fish is very important to me.
Healthy fat from the avocado instead of mayo, paired with fibre from the beans, makes this salad perfect for meatless meals too. Mediterranean flavours come from the artichokes, olives and feta cheese. Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy the weather.
When easy dinner salads are packed with nutrition and awesome flavour, you won’t miss the “big” meal at all.
A nice hearty dinner salad is perfect for entertaining. This recipe is easy to double, and an economical way to feed a crowd. Heck, I would double it just to have leftovers (the flavours are awesome the next day too).
This salad can be made ahead of time. Excellent for lunch, dinner, and don’t forget those summer picnics too. Healthy Mediterranean Tuna Avocado Salad needs to be in your summer meal repertoire. 30 minute meals are great, but when you only have 15 minutes to get dinner on the table, make this quick and easy salad.
Do you like having a salad for dinner too?
Healthy Mediterranean Tuna Avocado Salad (No Mayo Added)
For the Salad:
- 6 ounces avocado (1 large/chopped)
- 160 grams Rio Tuna (1 can/drained)
- 6 ounces tomatoes (fresh) (chopped/drain excess liquid)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 19 ounces Romano beans (1 can/drained/rinsed)
- 4 ounces canned artichokes (Packed in oil/chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped/for garnish)
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper (or to taste)
For the Dressing:
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 1 tsp olive oil (I used Tuscan flavoured)
For the Dressing:
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil in a jar (or container). Shake and set aside till ready to use.
For the Salad:
- In a large bowl add the rinsed can of beans, chopped avocado, feta, and artichokes.
- For the tomatoes, I placed them in a blender to roughly chop. Drain in a sieve to get rid of the excess liquid. Add to the bowl.
- Add the dressing to all the ingredients in the bowl. Mix until nicely coated.
- Place the spinach on the serving plates.
- Top with salad mixture.
- Garnish with pepper and chopped fresh basil.
- Pour a glass of wine....ENJOY!!