Smashed Avocado on Toast Topped with Salsa is perfect for any meal of the day. Healthy, nutritious, and totally delicious.
If you can mash avocado you can make this simple recipe. It’s just like having guacamole on toast with salsa.
Are you an avocado lover? I never used to be, and for the life of me, I don’t know why not. Some weird thing in my head told me guacamole was not delicious. WHAT? How is that possible?
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this avocado on toast recipe are at the bottom of the post.
Seriously, it was a LONG time before I defied my brain and decided to give avocados a shot. I mean how can so many people LOVE this stuff and my brain said NO?
I always tell the kids (and the grandkids) you won’t know if you like it until you try it. OMG! I literally have gone years not enjoying avocados for no reason. I have deprived myself for too long. No wonder California toast is so popular.
Avocado Spread Ingredients
I love simple to make food. This easy avocado recipe is just that. You will need:
- garlic oil
- red pepper flakes
- smoked sea salt
I love using *(affiliate) garlic flavoured olive oil in recipes. Feel free to use butter, garlic butter or regular olive oil.
Avocados are ALWAYS in my kitchen. I often just cut one open and eat it with a spoon. I don’t even need toast.
There are lots of great culinary uses, and here are some ways we enjoy using them in recipes:
- Banana Chocolate Pudding (my grandkids LOVE this healthy dessert)
- Guacamole Appetizer Bites (a fun party appetizer)
- Mediterranean Tuna Avocado Salad (perfect for lunch or dinner)
- Smoked Salmon Plate (the perfect dinner for a hot summer day)
- Banana Popsicles (better than store-bought)
- Green Devil (a fun twist on devilled eggs)
How To Make Smashed Avocado On Toast
This recipe for avocado toast is so easy, even the kids can make this! They may need a little help getting the pit out of the avocado.
- Mash the avocado to our desired texture. I like it a little on the chunky side.
- Toast your favourite bread.
- Pile the mashed avocado on the toast.
- Garnish and enjoy!
Does Frozen Avocado Work?
Yes, it sure does. I always have a bag in the freezer. Just thaw a few cubes either in the fridge or the microwave before mashing.
Best Kind Of Avocado to Use
There are several kinds of avocados to choose from. ALL are delicious and ALL work great in this recipe. Here are just a few to choose from:
- Lamb Hass
What Is The Best Bread For Making Toast?
The choice is yours. I like to use a sturdy bread since the avocado spread can be heavy, especially once you pile on the toppings.
- Gluten-free bread works great in this recipe
Avocado Toast Toppings
Take your toast to new levels of deliciousness. Get creative with these tasty toast toppings:
- grilled shrimp
- smoked salmon
- rotisserie chicken
- bacon (because bacon make everything delicious)
- cheese (feta works great)
- eggs (avocado and eggs are so good)
This avocado breakfast toast seems to be eaten at any time of day in my house. The perfect meal for when I don’t feel like cooking.
Forget takeout, this is so much better.
Guacamole is a dip made with avocado, along with the addition of onions, tomatoes and spices.
Although unappealing, it is safe to eat. It can taste bitter, but it is not spoiled. It is caused by a chemical reaction from the air. It takes several days for oxidation to occur for complete spoilage.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Looking for more simple avocado recipes? Give these a try:
This recipe has been updated from the original publication to include new photos and information.
Avocado on Toast
- 1 Avocado (about 5 ounces)
- 2 slices bread (your choice)
- 1 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- ¼ teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoons smoked sea salt
- 4 arugula leaves (optional/for garnish)
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash roughly with a fork and set aside.
- Toast your choice of bread.
- Brush toast with garlic olive oil.
- Divide smashed avocado onto the slices of toast.
- Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle on the smoked sea salt.
- Top with salsa.
- Garnish (or not).