Quinoa Sushi Salad is perfect for sushi lovers. All the flavours of a California roll in a bowl. No precise cutting of veggies, no rolling. Chop, dress, serve!
A simple salad with all the sushi ingredients. Made without rice, using quinoa instead, adding a nutritional boost.
While you are cooking some quinoa, make extra for this delicious vegetarian burrito recipe.
If you love lazy cabbage rolls or unrolled egg rolls, this deconstructed sushi bowl recipe will be a hit for sure.
I love sushi rolls. I have made them at home, but hey, you know it takes time to master the art of making them look perfect. Takeout can also be expensive. Voila! This deconstructed sushi roll in a bowl is so much easier. Takes a fraction of the time and tastes delicious.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this sushi quinoa salad can be found at the bottom of this post.
Speaking of Japanese food, give these grilled shishito peppers a try. A fun and tasty appetizer that is sure to be the hit of any bbq party.
What’s In Quinoa Sushi Salad?
All the ingredients that are in California rolls (minus the rice):
- Imitation crabmeat
- Bell peppers
- Soy Sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Dried seaweed
Deconstructed Sushi Salad Is Easy To Make
This sushi salad bowl is made in about 20 minutes. Much less time than rolling. Full instructions are found in the recipe card below.
- Cook quinoa
- Make dressing
- Chop veggies
- Reconstitute seaweed
- Add dressing to cooked quinoa
- Add seasonings
- Toss in veggies
- Toss in seaweed
- Add crabmeat
- Combine and chill
- Place in serving bowls and garnish
This recipe makes a huge salad. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
Quinoa – I love using quinoa in recipes. It adds nutrition and is easy to cook. Check out these tasty recipes:
You can also use sushi rice, short-grain Calrose rice, and regular white or brown rice for this salad.
Imitation Crabmeat – is simple to use in recipes. It is precooked and ready to eat. You can also use canned crab, real crab meat (cooked), or canned tuna.
Togarashi Seasoning – a favourite blend in my kitchen. You can find it at specialty grocery stores. You can make your own blend using white and black sesame seeds and some heat from cayenne or sriracha seasoning. Adjust according to your taste.
Wakame – is an edible seaweed. You can find it in Asian markets or on Amazon. You can also use nori cut into strips.
Garnish – I used everything bagel seasoning in this recipe. You can use toasted sesame seeds, finely chopped green onion, pickled ginger, wasabi or seaweed salad.
Storage – always keep this covered in the fridge. It is best served cold. Leftovers will last 2-3 days. I do not recommend freezing leftovers.
A staple in Japanese cuisine. Traditionally made with cooked sushi rice, raw vegetables, soy sauce dressing, raw and cooked seafood, and pickled ginger. It is always served cold.
Low in calories with no added fat it is considered a healthy meal.
Yes, that is where the imitation crab is used. California Roll, Philadelphia Roll, some Maki Rolls, and also Shrimp Tempura all have cooked fish.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Need more deconstructed salad ideas? Give these a try:
Be sure to check out all the delicious salads to make.
Quinoa Sushi Salad
For Sushi Salad:
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces imitation crab meat
- 4 ounces avocado
- 5 ounces cucumber
- 2 ounces bell pepper
- 2 ounces carrots peeled
- 2 tablespoons wakame dried seaweed
- 1 tablespoon Togarashi seasoning
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning for garnish
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Once cooked, place in a large mixing bowl.1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water
- Place the dried seaweed in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit about 5 minutes, drain, chop and set aside.2 tablespoons wakame dried seaweed
- Combine the dressing ingredients. Heat on the stovetop, or microwave until the sugar is melted. Set aside.3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar
Veggies and Crab:
- Dice all the veggies and set aside.4 ounces avocado, 5 ounces cucumber, 2 ounces bell pepper, 2 ounces carrots
- Chop the crabmeat.8 ounces imitation crab meat
Assembling the Salad:
- To the cooled quiona add the salad dressing and mix.
- Add the Togarashi seasoning and mix.1 tablespoon Togarashi seasoning
- Toss in the diced veggies and mix.
- Add in the reconsitiuted and chopped seaweed and crab meat, mix until combined. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Dish salad into serving bowls and garnish with everyting bagel seasoning.2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning