Shake up the BBQ season with this grilled Garlic Scapes Recipe. A fun and delicious side dish that has a mild garlic flavour. You might even have your guests asking “What the heck is a garlic scape”?
Also, known as the garlic stems, garlic tops or garlic shoots. Similar to grilled asparagus, grilled garlic scapes are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and a sure-fire conversation starter. Have you tried them before?
Garlic scapes are in the same category as fiddleheads. You know that unusual ingredient category. The thing you see at the market or the store and ask yourself, “What is that”?
Where do you buy garlic scapes? Last time I visited the Farmer’s Market, I was so excited to pick up a big basket of garlic scapes. I was going to prepare them similar to my roasted fiddlehead recipe. Not sure what the weather was like your way this past weekend. It was so hot here, there was no way was roasting garlic scapes.
GRILLING THIS GARLIC SCAPES RECIPE
Grilling the garlic scapes was the name of the game. We actually did it twice since the basket of garlic scapes was HUGE. I also put some in the freezer. Read on, and you will see how easy that is to do.
The first time we placed them whole, directly on the BBQ grates. The second time (our preferred method) we used a grill basket. Here is all you have to do:
- Wash and dry the garlic scapes
- Cut off the dry ends and thick stalks
- Cut into long pieces (or leave whole if you prefer)
- Massage in some olive oil (I used butter flavoured)
- Season with salt (smoked sea salt is awesome here)
- Cook in a *grill basket over medium heat
- Garlic scapes are done when they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside (about 10 minutes)
- Remove from the heat
- Add more seasoning (OMG *black truffle salt is the best)
WHAT THE HECK IS A GARLIC SCAPE?
We had our daughter and family over for a BBQ on the weekend. When she asked what we were having for dinner, I said garlic scapes. My son-in-law said, “What is a garlic scape”?
Garlic scapes are the flower bud of the garlic plant. Farmers remove them to allow the garlic bulbs to thicken. Just like fiddleheads, they are available for a very short time. Usually only for about 3 weeks in the June-July time frame each year.
Now, my husband does not like garlic. I think he might be part vampire (he loves my neck). I, on the other hand, LOVE garlic. Do you know who else totally loved this garlic scapes recipe? Our 3-year-old granddaughter. She kept asking for more.
The texture of grilled garlic scapes is very similar to asparagus. The taste is so mild that even my garlic hating husband liked them. The second time we grilled them, I seasoned the grilled scapes with black truffle salt. Wow, that took the garlic scapes to a whole new level of awesome!
GARLIC SCAPES RECIPE IDEAS
Just what else can you do with garlic scapes? Well, there are several ways to enjoy these fun, curly stalks. Here are a few:
- roasted or sautéed garlic scapes
- pickled garlic scapes
- garlic scape hummus
- make garlic scape compound butter
- chop them up and add them to salads
FREEZING GARLIC SCAPES
Like I mentioned earlier, I actually put some in the freezer. I researched the correct way to do this. Surfing the web I found 2 different methods. One method involved blanching before freezing. The other method was less involved. Trim, wash, dry, chop and place in freezer bags.
I chose the second method. Since this was SO easy to do, I am going to head to the market again this weekend and pick up another basket. Freezing a few bags of garlic scapes will allow us to enjoy these tasty little garlic flower buds during the year (until they are available again next season).
So if you have never tried them before, give this grilled Garlic Scapes Recipe a try at your next BBQ party. You just might turn some garlic haters into garlic lovers. Grab them before it’s too late!
If you have tried garlic scapes before, what is your favourite way to enjoy them?
Don’t forget to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. If you would prefer to get PUSH NOTIFICATIONS instead, CLICK the PURPLE BELL on the bottom right of this page.
Now that grilling season is here, check out these recipe roundups. Perfect for bbq parties!
Garlic Scapes Recipe For The Grill
- 1 1/2 pounds garlic scapes
- 2 tbsp olive oil ( I used butter flavoured)
- 1 tsp smoked sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black truffle salt (to garnish/optional)
To Prepare The Garlic Scapes:
- Wash and pat dry garlic scapes.
- Cut off dry ends and thick stalk ends (the bulb at the end).
- You can choose to leave them whole if you wish, or cut them into long pieces. Place in a bowl.
- Massage them with the olive oil, and season with the smoked sea salt. You can also add pepper if you wish.
To Grill The Garlic Scapes:
- Heat the BBQ to medium.
- Oil a grill basket, and add the prepared garlic scapes.
- Grill for about 10 minutes, turning several times. Garlic scapes are done when they are slightly browned on the outside, and tender on the inside. Very similar to asparagus.
- Remove from grill, and season with black truffle salt.