This amazing recipe of Simple Grilled Veggies is an easy side dish for summer and beyond.
Veggies are charred to perfection, with a crisp texture, healthy and nutritious, and so easy to prepare. Have you ever tried grilled turnips? Or how about grilled garlic scapes? Such a great way to highlight seasonal vegetables.
Around here we just love to barbecue, especially during the summer months. From breakfast to dessert and everything in between, if we can find a way to use the grill, that is how it is cooked.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these easy grilled vegetables can be found at the bottom of this post.
Veggies are one of our favourite things to cook. There is something about that smokey flavour and crunchy texture that makes them taste awesome. With the help of so many wonderful spices and flavoured oils, plain veggies are taken to a whole new level of good!!
Grilled Veggies Only Need A Few Ingredients
- lemon juice
Be sure to check out the other suggestions and recipe tips below.
How To Grill Vegetables
For this recipe, I used both the grill and a grill basket. Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Wash and vegetables and set aside.
- Prepare the oil marinade, and place the cauliflower and broccoli in a freezer bag.
- Marinate the veggies for up to an hour.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat.
- Add the marinated veggies to the grill basket.
- Place the asparagus right on the grills.
- Cook until the desired doneness.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the veggies and serve.
Vegetables can really be anything you like. Zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, turnips, potatoes, the colour of the rainbow is your selection. It’s a great way to enjoy seasonal vegetables. You can even make some zucchini burgers.
Seasoning is where grilling veggies shine. You can use anything you like. I used Italian seasoning in this recipe. Seasoning blends of all kinds, or your own custom blend will work wonderfully. Fresh herbs can be used as well. Rosemary and oregano can withstand some heat. Basil and dill are best used at the very end so they do not burn.
Serving is super easy. Garnish with fresh lemon juice, pile on a platter and serve. Grilled vegetable skewers are also fun to make. You can also use the vegetables in salads, sandwiches and wraps.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
No grill basket? No worries. You can also wrap the vegetables in foil and cook on the grill. Turn the packet over at least once during the cooking time. Placing the veggies right on the grill works well too. Be sure the pieces are big enough so they do not fall through the grates.
To marinate or not to marinate? The choice is really up to you. If I have time, I like to do this step to add some wonderful flavours. This is not necessary, you can just quickly toss the washed and cut veggies with oil and seasoning and you are good to go.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
You may also enjoy these grilled fruit and veggie recipes:
- Togarashi Shishito Peppers
- Loaded Mushroom Caps
- Avocado Boats
- Grilled Strawberries
- Grilled Plums
- Smoked Apples
Simple Grilled Veggies
- Cauliflower (1 medium)
- Broccoli (2 bunches)
- Asparagus (1 pound)
- ½ olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ fresh lemon
Preparing The Veggies:
- Wash, drain and cut veggies.
- Combine the oil, seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons for later.
- Place the cauliflower and broccoli in a freezer bag. Pour in the seasoned oil. Allow to marinate for 30-60 minutes at room temperature.
- Just before grilling drizzle the asparagus with reserved seasoned olive oil.
- Heat the BBQ to medium.
- Place basket on grill.
- Add the seasoned veggies.
- Cook until desired doneness, turning often.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over cooked veggies.