Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks will quickly become a family favourite. Love crispy skin chicken? This is for you.
Crushed tortilla chips and Mexican seasoning are the secret ingredients. This chicken drum recipe is sure to be a winner in your house.
I love breaded chicken baked in the oven. Getting all the crispy goodness with oven-fried chicken instead of deep-frying is a winner for sure.
So much easier, not to mention healthier too.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this crispy chicken recipe can be found at the bottom of this post.
This is a super easy chicken drumstick recipe. In my opinion, drumsticks are the best part.
These juicy tender chicken legs are coated, then baked! Did you know you can get extra-crispy results without using Panko breadcrumbs and buttermilk?
Once you try these you will be hooked. Biting through that crispy tortilla crusted, Mexican seasoned skin to the juicy meat underneath is a party in your mouth. Make lots, the family will be fighting for the last one. Our favourite oven-fried chicken hands down.
You Will Need:
All it takes is Mexican seasoning and tortilla chips to make the most delicious crispy chicken you have EVER tasted.
- chicken drumsticks
- avocado oil
- tortilla chips
- Mexican seasoning
The seasoning can be your own homemade blend, or store-bought (that’s what I used). Most often I make my own blends, EXCEPT when I can get my hands on some REALLY GOOD blends.
The blend I used in this drumstick recipe is called Mexican Kitchen Cartel, and it is made by The Spice Company. There are LOTS of great blends to choose from (and cool names to go along with them too).
Crumb Coating Chicken
The secret to making crispy baked chicken without frying is the crumb coating and leaving the skin on. YES, you can get a crispy crust with this recipe. If you love southern-fried, THIS is better!
Removing the skin still produces tasty results. If you are looking for that crunchy sound and crisp texture, it is all about the skin.
There are several options for the crumb coating. For this recipe, I used crushed tortilla chips. Panko breadcrumbs or crackers are great, and so are cornflakes.
Have you ever had cornflake chicken? I remember my mom making that when I was a kid. These oven-fried chicken drumsticks are even better!
How To Bake Chicken Drumsticks
Some baked chicken recipes use the “flour-egg-crumb method” to coat the chicken. My method is way easier, which means less mess and fewer dishes.
- Wash the drumsticks and pat dry.
- Place crushed tortilla chips in a large bowl.
- Generously rub Mexican seasoning on each piece of chicken.
- One at a time, take a drumstick and brush it with oil and generously coat it with the crushed tortilla chips.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook until golden brown.
While this chicken bakes, the aroma will have you licking your lips in anticipation of the deliciousness that is only a few minutes away.
- Be sure to a foil-lined *(affiliate) baking sheet coated with cooking spray. This will make cleanup a breeze.
- For this recipe, I used regular tortilla chips. Feel free to try blue chips or lime flavoured chips. Doritos would work as well (you could skip the seasoning all together).
- If you don’t have Mexican seasoning, *(affiliate) taco seasoning would work fine.
I baked these for 25 minutes at 400º F. The safe internal temperature of poultry is 165º F. I like to use an *(affiliate)instant-read thermometer to be sure.
Yes, you certainly can. In fact, I love to have some leftovers for another meal. Chicken is best reheated from frozen. Do not cover while heating to ensure crispy results. I would heat it around 400º F until it reaches a safe internal temperature.
This crispy chicken recipe is so full of flavour, all it takes is some simple sides for the perfect weeknight dinner.
- A simple cucumber salad is nice and refreshing. If it is the right time of year a snap pea salad would pair well too.
- Looking for a few condiments? Pickled onions and zucchini pickles would be great.
- You can never go wrong with crispy fries or baked beans to round out the meal.
- Of course, onion rings are always a hit too.
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks are a favourite around here. Takeout doesn’t have a chance in our house. Easy to make, delicious to eat, and I guarantee your family won’t complain if you have leftovers either.
Loving the idea of oven fried recipes? Here are a few more to try.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU.
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Mexican Inspiration
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 ounces tortilla chips (crushed)
- 3 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400º F and line baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray.
- Wash chicken drumsticks and pat dry. Place on a plate.
- Crush tortilla chips using a food processor. You can also place them in a plastic bag and crush them with your hand. Place the crushed chips in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put your oil and Mexican seasoning in bowls and set aside.
- Generously rub each drumstick with the Mexican seasoning, making sure to cover it all over. Place on a plate.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, lightly brush some oil on the drumstick. Place it in the tortilla chips and nicely coat. Place the coated chicken on the baking sheet.Continue this with each piece of chicken.
- Place the baking sheet into the pre heated oven, and bake until golden brown, and crispy (about 25 minutes), turning ½ way through.
- When cooked, remove from oven.