Simple Basic Banana Bread says it all. Basic ingredients. Simple to make. The old-fashioned classic never goes out of style.
This banana quick bread only uses 5 ingredients. Not too sweet. Filled with dark flecks. Moist and delicious. The perfect way to use up ripe bananas.
I LOVE when the simple things in life give us so much pleasure. You know what I am talking about. Those simple yet so delicious foods grandma used to make.
Minimal ingredients. Minimal effort. The BEST banana bread turns out moist and delicious every time.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTION for this easy banana bread can be found at the bottom of this post.
Back in the day when gramma had NO FANCY equipment to help her mix, cut or even measure the correct temperature. NO GOURMET ingredients, just simple, basic stuff out of the garden and a few standard store staples.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this easy banana quick bread are at the bottom of this post.
You Will Need:
- mashed bananas (nice really ripe bananas work best)
- baking powder
- baking soda
This ultimate banana bread recipe is a reflection of those good old days. The days when food was a labour of love. When some of the best dinners were made with only a few ingredients, yet they tasted as if they came out of a Michelin Star restaurant.
How ripe should bananas be for baking? For baking, ripe bananas are best. They usually are soft to the touch with LOTS of black spots on the peel.
How do you ripen bananas quickly? You can place them in a paper bag for 1-2 days.
To ripen bananas in the oven, warm unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes at 250ºF (and cool before using).
To ripen bananas in the microwave, with a fork or knife, poke through the peel on all sides. Place the banana in the microwave for 30 second intervals until they soften.
Can you freeze ripe bananas? Yes, all you have to do is peel them and place them in freezer bags for use later.
Making This Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- in a small bowl mash the bananas with a fork
- in a large bowl cream the butter and sugar
- add the eggs
- add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- mix in the mashed bananas
- put the batter in a *(affiliate) loaf pan
This recipe is PERFECT for anyone just learning to bake. Only a few ingredients, simple directions and DELICIOUS results.
- Do not over mix, it will create a solid batter. This is a quick bread recipe and does not require thorough mixing of ingredients. Overmixing will cause the bread to not rise properly, and be under baked.
- Be sure to test your bread for doneness BEFORE the allotted baking time. You don’t want to over bake it. I use a *(affiliate) cake tester.
- Use the exact amount of bananas stated in the recipe. If you add more, the bread will be very dense.
I like to leave it on the wrapped on the counter. Have you tried *(affiliate) Abeego beeswax wraps? They are AMAZING. The bread is kept fresh for 3-4 days, AND these are environmentally friendly. We all need to pitch in and help save the planet. You can also keep it wrapped in the fridge for longer storage.
Yes, you sure can. I like to make several loaves at a time. You can freeze the whole loaf by tightly covering in food film. Or, you can slice it, and wrap up individual slices.
Absolutely. Pour the batter into a *(affiliate) muffin pan and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
This happens when the loaf continues to rise after the top has set. Don’t worry, it will still be moist and delicious.
Traditionally banana cake is lighter and bread is denser making it easier to slice. Both incorporate mashed bananas.
Still looking for some delicious banana recipes? I have a few right here:
- You can never go wrong with this Best Banana Cake recipe. It is a secret family recipe.
- Rocky Road Banana Bread is decadent and delicious.
- How about a banana split for breakfast? A healthy way to start the day.
- Banana Popsicles are a huge hit in the summer.
If you love making quick bread, here are a few other recipes to try:
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Zucchini is vegan and allergy-friendly.
- Apple Cinnamon Bread is always and hit. The aroma as it bakes is so incredible.
- Perfect or brunch or dessert, Blueberry Upside Down Quick Bread is so pretty on the plate.
What is YOUR favourite way to use bananas?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Simple Basic Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 medium ripe bananas)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients (except the sugar) in a small bowl, and mix with a whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, mash the ripe bananas (enough to produce 1 cup) and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. (I used a hand held mixer. Feel free to just use a spoon like the old-fashioned method).
- Combine the eggs one at a time. Mix well.
- Add in the mashed banana. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Scrape batter into a prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes until done. Bread should be nice and brown. Use a cake tester to make sure it is done in the middle.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Once cool (or until you can’t wait anymore) slice and ENJOY!