This Air Fryer Fish Cakes recipe is perfect for fish Fridays. Classic potato and fish patties made with crab and cooked to a golden brown.
If you love fried food, but not the mess and ALL the calories, air fryer recipes are fantastic.
Are you a fish lover? We prepare it a lot of different ways in our house. Fish and chips have always been a favourite. I even remember when it was wrapped in newspaper! That was to absorb all the grease.
Things have changed. Finding healthier ways to enjoy our favourite foods is the new norm.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this air fryer potato and crab cake recipe are at the bottom of this post.
There are so many great ways to create a spin on the fish and potato combination. Smoked Salmon Potato Appetizers are the perfect party dish. Guests go crazy for these.
Instead of fish and chips, switch up your Friday with a Warm Potato Salad with Smoked Salmon. This is a GREAT dinner salad.
If soup is your thing, Slow Cooker Creamy Fish Soup will be a hit. The ultimate comfort food.
For Air Fried Fish And Potato Cakes You Will Need:
- fish (I used imitation crab because that is what I had in the house)
- Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- green onions
- Panko breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
I actually gave this cookbook (autographed of course) as a Christmas gift to a young lady. This aspiring cook was thrilled when she opened it. I combined it with some great things like a Madeleine pan, quiche pan, and cookie cutters. I have been told that next time we visit, I can expect to be eating some delicious Madeleines.
I did INDEED eat some beautiful Madeleines baked by Sophie. Her dad (and our very good friend) Tom has created a wonderful blog post entitled Little Cakes. It is a wonderful read that revolves around ART. I am so happy to be part of Sophie’s culinary creativity. I look forward to many more tasty creations.
As I flipped through my copy of the cookbook one afternoon, trying to decide what to make for dinner, I came across the recipe for Crunchy Fish Cakes. After looking to see which ingredients I had (and which ingredients I did not have), I was able to switch up a couple of things to make it work.
I decided to give these tasty fish patties a try in the air fryer instead of the frying pan. They turned out fantastic!
If you don’t already have an air fryer, I suggest you get one. There are lots of different brands on the market. I have a *(affiliate) Breville Smart Oven. Mine is like a mini oven. I use it all the time.
Crispy Air Fryer Onion Rings are a must-try.
How To Air Fry Fish Cakes
This recipe is super easy to make. Fish patties turn out golden brown and have a nice crunchy coating. Since they are cooked in the air fryer, no oil is needed.
- Cook the potatoes, mash and set aside.
- Pulse the fish in a food processor, along with the seasonings.
- Mix the potatoes and fish together.
- Form into fish patties and coat in Panko breadcrumbs.
- Place covered in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Cook in the air fryer.
What Kind Of Fish Patties Can You Make In The Air Fryer?
There is lots of wiggle room with this recipe. Every country has a variation of fish cakes. Mardi prepared her French fish cakes (croquettes de poisson) with white fish. I didn’t have any at the time. The imitation crab meat worked really well.
This is where you can really have fun. Here are a few great variations to try:
- fish balls
- salmon patties
- haddock cakes
- salmon croquettes
- codfish cakes
- mackerel cakes
- fish croquettes
- fish fritters
For this recipe, I used cooked fish. You certainly can use raw fish. In fact, Thai fish cakes use raw fish. Crab cakes also use raw fish.
If you only have canned fish in the house, I would certainly give this easy fish recipe a try with canned tuna, canned salmon or canned crab.
Have some fun in the kitchen. Experiment and find the best fish cake recipe that works for you.
What the difference is between fish cakes and crab cakes?
It’s all about the potato. Crab cakes do not contain potatoes. Crab meat, eggs, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, and seasonings are the staples for a great crab cake.
How To Keep Fish Patties From Falling Apart
The key is to make sure you CHILL them for at least 30 minutes!
You can prepare these in the morning, and let them sit in the fridge till it is time to cook.
Alternatively, you can FREEZE the fish cakes and cook from frozen. What a great way to have something ready to cook instead of getting takeout for dinner.
What To Serve With Fish Cakes
This air fried fish recipe makes a great appetizer. Just pair it with a dip or tartar sauce and eat! Mango Salsa would be a great choice.
They also make a great main dish for dinner too. Some great sides would be:
- Green Salad
- This fun Zoodle Salad would be a great side.
- Roasted Vegetables
- Spicy Fries are always a hit. Everyone loves fish and chips!
- If you are looking for another potato option, Cast Iron Potatoes would be fantastic.
- Baked Potatoes
- Thinking of a potato casserole? Give this Sweet Potato Au Gratin a try.
- Potatoes with Green Onion and Dill is a family recipe that has been passed down for generations.
Do YOU have a great fish recipe?
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. I would love for you to FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Fish Cakes Recipe Air Fryer Method
- 10 ounces mashed potatoes
- 10 ounces imitation crab meat (or fish of your choice)
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (for coating)
- cooking spray
To Make the Fish Cakes:
- Take about 2 large potatoes. Peel, cut and boil until tender. Once cooked, drain and mash (enough to make 10 ounces). Set aside.
- In a food processor combine the fish, salt, pepper, and egg. Pulse 3-4 times until smooth.
- Place the fish mixture, mashed potatoes and green onion in a large bowl. Combine with a rubber spatula.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish (with a rim).
- Divide the fish mixture into 6 portions.
- Form each portion into a patty. (Roll into a ball, and lightly press to form a thick patty).
- Coat each patty on all sides with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the patties on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.
To Cook the Fish Cakes:
- Turn your air fryer on to 425º F.
- Remove the fish cakes from the fridge.
- Place them in the cooking basket of your air fryer. Depending on your model, you may have to cook these in 2 batches if they don't all fit in the basket.
- Spray them lightly with cooking spray on both sides.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown). I turned the patties over around the 1/2 way mark.
- Remove from air fryer when done.
- Place on a serving dish.