This easy Fish Cakes Recipe Air Fryer Method is perfect for fish Fridays. Classic potato fish cakes cooked to a golden brown in the air fryer.
Are you a fish lover? We prepare it lots of different ways in our house. Fish and chips have always been a favourite. I even remember when it was wrapped in newspaper! That was to absorb all the grease.
Things have changed. Finding healthier ways to enjoy our favourite foods is the new norm.
There are so many great ways to create a spin on the fish and potato combination. Smoked Salmon Potato Appetizers are the perfect party dish. Guests go crazy for these.
Instead of fish and chips, switch up your Friday with a Warm Potato Salad with Smoked Salmon. This is a GREAT dinner salad.
I actually gave this cookbook (autographed of course) as a Christmas gift to a young lady. This aspiring cook was thrilled when she opened it. I combined it with some great things like a Madeleine pan, quiche pan, and cookie cutters. I have been told that next time we visit, I can expect to be eating some delicious Madeleines.
***UPDATE** this past weekend, I did INDEED eat some beautiful Madeleines baked by Sophie. Her dad (and our very good friend) Tom has created a wonderful blog post entitled Little Cakes. It is a wonderful read that revolves around ART. I am so happy to be part of Sophie’s culinary creativity. I look forward to many more tasty creations.
As I flipped through my copy of the cookbook one afternoon, trying to decide what to make for dinner, I came across the recipe for Crunchy Fish Cakes. After looking to see which ingredients I had (and which ingredients I did not have), I was able to switch up a couple of things to make it work.
Instead of cooking these fish patties in a frying pan, I decided to cook them in the air fryer. My Air Fryer Onion Rings were such a success, I was excited to try an air fryer fish recipe.
FISH CAKES RECIPE INGREDIENTS
These healthy fish cakes do not require any gourmet ingredients. You will need:
As you can see, there is lots of wiggle room with this recipe. Every country has a variation of fish cakes. Mardi prepared her French fish cakes (croquettes de poisson) with white fish. I didn’t have any at the time. The imitation crab meat worked really well.
BEST FISH TO USE
This is where you can really have fun. Here are a few great variations to try:
- smoked salmon
For this recipe, I used cooked fish. You certainly can use raw fish. In fact, Thai fish cakes use raw fish. Crab cakes also use raw fish.
If you are wondering what the difference is between fish cakes and crab cakes, it’s all about the potato. Crab cakes do not contain potato. Crab meat, eggs, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, and seasonings are the staples for a great crab cake.
FISH CAKES IN THE AIR FRYER
This recipe is super easy to make. Fish patties turn out golden brown and have a nice crunchy coating. Since they are cooked in the air fryer, no oil is needed.
- Cook the potatoes, mash and set aside.
- Pulse the fish in a food processor, along with the seasonings.
- Mix the potatoes and fish together.
- Form into fish patties and coat in Panko breadcrumbs.
- Place covered in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Cook in the air fryer.
Do you have an air fryer? I have not jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon, BUT I LOVE my Breville Smart Oven Air. This little oven makes the BEST crispy, delicious “not fried” food ever.
I just tried baking some cookies this past weekend. They turned out fantastic. Watch for them on the blog soon.
I use it for warming, toasting, roasting, PIZZA and so much more. Love the convection cooking too. If you are looking for an air fryer, check it out.
These fish cakes turned out fantastic. Combined with a side salad, tartar sauce and a nice glass of white wine, dinner was delicious.
After looking a the list of great fish options, I am thinking next time lobster fish cakes will be on the menu.
Next time you want to switch up your fish dinner, give this Fish Cakes Recipe a try. They would make a great appetizer too.
Do YOU have a great fish cake recipe?
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. I would love for you to FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Fish Cakes Recipe Air Fryer Method
- 10 ounces mashed potatoes
- 10 ounces imitation crab meat (or fish of your choice)
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (for coating)
- cooking spray
To Make the Fish Cakes:
- Take about 2 large potatoes. Peel, cut and boil until tender. Once cooked, drain and mash (enough to make 10 ounces). Set aside.
- In a food processor combine the fish, salt, pepper, and egg. Pulse 3-4 times until smooth.
- Place the fish mixture, mashed potatoes and green onion in a large bowl. Combine with a rubber spatula.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish (with a rim).
- Divide the fish mixture into 6 portions.
- Form each portion into a patty. (Roll into a ball, and lightly press to form a thick patty).
- Coat each patty on all sides with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the patties on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.
To Cook the Fish Cakes:
- Turn your air fryer on to 425º F.
- Remove the fish cakes from the fridge.
- Place them in the cooking basket of your air fryer. Depending on your model, you may have to cook these in 2 batches if they don't all fit in the basket.
- Spray them lightly with cooking spray on both sides.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 10-15 minutes (or until golden brown). I turned the patties over around the 1/2 way mark.
- Remove from air fryer when done.
- Place on a serving dish.