Old fashioned apple pudding baked in the oven, perfect for Fall. This apple dessert is easier than pie.
A warm pudding cake with all the comforting spices and a cinnamon sugar topping. Serve it for dessert any day of the week. Great on the weekend brunch menu too.
Who can resist a hot dessert? Did you know the most popular dessert in the world is sticky toffee pudding? No wonder it is one of my top three favourites.
Apple season is just around the corner. Putting on a nice warm sweater and heading out to the orchard on a sunny fall day is wonderful.
Depending on where you are located, there are lots of great apple varieties to choose from. What is your favourite? I happen to love Cortland and Honey Crisp.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for the best apple pudding ever can be found at the bottom of this post.
Fall is such a great season for making all the wonderful comfort foods. Enjoying bowls and mugs of soups and chilis you can wrap your hands around. Easy, rustic dessert recipes that are no-fuss but full of flavour.
Easy Baked Apple Dessert With Few Ingredients
When I was young, my mom made this apple pudding ALL the time. What a comforting aroma when I walked in the door from school. I have always said food does not have to be complicated, but it sure has to taste good.
- Butter – nothing beats butter, but you can use margaine if you wish.
- Sugar – white granualted sugar is used in the recipe and for the topping too.
- Egg – room temperature is always best.
- Flour – I like using unbleached all-purpose white flour.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder – the staples of all baked goods.
- Salt – just a pinch will do.
- Cinnamon – used both in the recipe and for the topping.
- Nutmeg – is there a fall recipe that does not include this warming spice?
- Ginger – one of the great spices for the fall and winter season.
- Cloves – such a small amount is needed of this very potent spice.
- Vanilla – just like all baked goods.
- Apples – you can choose your favourite variety. I had some Granny Smith at the time.
All the pantry staples you already have. No hard to find ingredients. Just what you need to make apple crisps and crumbles too.
How To Make Old Fashioned Apple Pudding
This really is a super easy dessert to make.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Peel and slice the apples.
- Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in the apples.
- Place in prepared baking dish.
- Top with cinnamon sugar.
The aroma from all the spices as this bakes is wonderful. This hot apple pudding is sure to please your family. I make it often. In fact, it is a staple at Thanksgiving. Someone in the family does not like pumpkin pie!
We love serving this apple pudding with cream. It can be eaten at room temperature as well, but warm is the best (according to my family).
Other great options are:
- ice cream
- whipped cream
It will last 2-3 days. Cover with plastic or foil, or place in a sealed container. I usually keep it on the counter. You can also place it in the fridge if you wish. This is a great recipe for making ahead of time if needed.
The easiest way is in the microwave. I like to scoop into serving bowls and pop it in for about 30-45 seconds. Heat to your desired temperature. You can also reheat in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes. Perfect for reheating the entire dish before serving.
You can experiment a little with this recipe. In fact, it would be really hard to mess it up.
- Gluten-free flour blend can be used in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Margarine can be used in place of butter.
- You can increase, decrease or even remove one or more of the spices. If you don’t like the taste of cloves leave it out. You can make it with all cinnamon if you prefer.
- Any apple works in this recipe. I have made it with just about every variety.
- You don’t have to add the topping before baking (but it is like icing on a cake).
- Add some chopped nuts to the batter for some added flavour.
- You can also combine brown sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
Other Apple Recipes
Now that you are excited about apple season as much as I am, here are a few delicious recipes you might like to try:
- Smoked Apples on the grill make a great dessert at your next bbq party.
- Spiced Apple Compote is the perfect fall topping.
- Toffee Apple Muffins are sure to please kids of all ages. You might also like Oatmeal and apple muffins too. Great for breakfast.
- Fried Apple Tarts with a puff pastry crust.
- Apple Roses are alwasy stunning, and easier to make than you think.
- Have you ever tried Chickpea Apple Salad? Great for any time of the day.
- Stuffed Squash is the pefect Thanksgiving side dish.
- Yes you can make soup with apples.
- Just in case I missed anything, here is a collection of delicious apple recipes.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Baked Apple Pudding
- 8 ounces apples (peeled and sliced)
- ¼ cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 cup all-pupose flour
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons nutmeg
- ½ teaspoons ginger
- ⅛ teaspoons ground cloves
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- Prepare a baking dish. 8×8, 9×9 or round will work.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- Wash, peel and slice the apples. Set aside.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping and set aside.2 teaspoons sugar, ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with a whisk.1 cup all-pupose flour, ¼ teaspoons baking soda, ½ teaspoons baking powder, ⅛ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoons nutmeg, ½ teaspoons ginger, ⅛ teaspoons ground cloves
- Cream butter, sugar egg and vanilla using a hand-held mixer.¼ cup butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoons vanilla
- Add the dry ingredinets to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the sliced apples and stir to combine.8 ounces apples
- Place batter in baking dish.
- Top with the cinnamon sugar mix.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Top will be golden brown. Check doneness with a cake tester.
- Once baked, remove from oven.
- Scoop warm pudding into serving bowls.
- Top with cream, ice cream, yogurt to whip cream. This is compeletly optional. The pudding tastes great all on it's own.