Would you eat salad for breakfast? With this Fall Flavours Apple Chickpea All Day Salad, you can enjoy the seasonal flavours any time of day.
This apple salad recipe is sweet, tart, crunchy and packed with protein. This time of year, bring on ALL the apple recipes.
Are you a salad lover? I sure am. Do you have a favourite one? My oldest daughter loves pasta salad with tuna. My youngest daughter’s favourite salad is potato. Hubby and I both love Greek Zoodle Salad.
We often have salads for dinner. On a busy day, it is so easy to either have a salad ready and waiting in the fridge, or quickly mix one up when I get home. There are SO many healthy salad recipes to make.
Turning them into a satisfying dinner option is so easy when you add things like chickpeas, lentils, beans, or even hard boiled eggs. Healthy Chickpea Salad with Curry Vinaigrette is hearty and delicious.
Of course, there are always meat options, and I like using up leftover beef and chicken this way as well.
I am a mild weather girl, but I just happen to LOVE the flavours of fall. The warm spices, cozy soups and stews, PUMPKIN everything, and of course fresh apple season.
I know hubby is getting ready for ALL the apple dessert recipes I can make. We also LOVE apples in:
- Apple Rose Puffs
- Smoked Apples
- Apple Cottage Cheese Smoothie
- Fresh Apple Muffins with Toffee Topping (you REALLY need to give these a try).
I haven’t gone out apple picking yet. Have you? Fresh apple season is the best. On a nice crisp fall day, going to the orchard and picking your favourite variety off the tree is fun.
Carefully selecting the biggest juiciest apples you can find. My kids used to love eating the fresh apples right off the tree as we walked along and filled our bags. We always ended our adventure with a wagon ride. Now my grandkids are having fun picking apples with us too.
BEST APPLES FOR SALADS
Ontario has loads of great orchards to visit. I am so lucky I am surrounded by them. In only a few minutes I can drive to 4 different orchards.
That is great, since they do grow different varieties to choose from.
I absolutely love baking with Cortland apples. They are so crisp, have a mild taste (not too tart), and don’t discolour as fast when they are sliced. I use them all the time in my recipes. Apples work so well in everything from muffins, breads and even soup. Have you ever tried my Incredible 3 Way Apple Soup? What a celebration of fall.
For this Fall Flavours Apple Chickpea All Day Salad a sweeter variety of apple is great. Honeycrisp is the perfect variety to use here. Of course, you can switch it up to any variety you like. All are delicious, you can’t go wrong with apples.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CHICKPEA SALAD
When I first thought about this apple salad, I had planned on making it more like a Waldorf Salad. However, since the weather was HOT, I really didn’t want a mayonnaise based salad.
Once I started chopping (and eating) the apples, I quickly changed direction and pulled out some flavoured balsamic vinegars instead. They are so delicious when combined with apples and chickpeas.
When I gave it a taste I said to myself, “I would eat this for breakfast”. You really can eat this salad ALL DAY long. So easy to make, and it keeps well too.
Here is what you do:
- Chop up some apples (skin on) and toss them into a mixing bowl.
- Add some pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries (all those FALL flavours).
- Add some chickpeas (great protein).
- Toss everything into a bowl with a squeeze of lemon.
- For the dressing, I used *apple balsamic, *pomegranate balsamic, *pomegranate molasses, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Mix these with a bit of regular extra virgin olive oil and you have a tasty sweet/tart vinegrette to tie in all the seasonal flavours.
If you have never experimented with flavoured balsamic vinegars, you are in for a real treat. Experiment and create some unique and delicious dressings to tickle your taste buds.
ENJOYING THIS TASTY CHICKPEA AND APPLE RECIPE
This healthy salad recipe is packed with loads of flavour, textures, fibre and protein.
- It is the perfect way to start your day. YES, I do eat this for breakfast.
- Add it to yogurt with a touch of maple syrup for a bit of added sweetness.
- Pack it into containers, and lunch is ready for the week.
- Have it as a snack when you get home from the gym or school.
- Use it as a topping over ice cream for dessert.
- Stuff it into a wrap for a delicious sandwich idea.
- The perfect Thanksgiving salad recipe!!
Head out to the apple orchard and gather your favourite varieties. Fall Flavours Apple Chickpea All Day Salad makes a quick and delicious meal any time of day. Be sure to make LOTS, you won’t want to stop eating this easy apple salad recipe.
I bet you can come up with lots of ways to incorporate this healthy seasonal recipe into your day.
And while you are picking, think of all the other wonderful things you can make with apples. Fried Apple Tarts are a favourite around here.
Looking for more apple salads? Here are a few suggestions:
Need more chickpea salad ideas? Here you go:
Do you have a favourite apple recipe?
Don’t forget to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. If you would prefer to get PUSH NOTIFICATIONS instead, CLICK the PURPLE BELL on the bottom right of this page. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Fall Flavours Apple Chickpea All Day Salad (Celebrate the Season)
For the Salad:
- 2 cups diced apples (I used Honeycrisp)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the Dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp apple balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp pomegranate balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Wash the apples, core and dice. I left the skin on, but feel free to peel if you wish. Toss apples into a large bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice in the apples.
- To the bowl add the cranberries, pumpkin seeds and chickpeas.
- In a small bowl combine the salad dressing ingredients (oil, vinegars and cinnamon) and whisk until blended.
- Pour over the apple mixture. Mix well.