Smashed Avocado Toast is perfect for any meal of the day. Healthy, nutritious, and totally delicious. Elevate breakfast, brunch, and dinner with this culinary sensation.
If you can mash avocado you can make this simple recipe. It’s just like having guacamole on toast with salsa. A great open-faced sandwich. Less bread and more toppings. Give this gourmet open cheese and tomato sandwich a try too.
Have you tried grilled avocado? Stuffed Grilled Avocado Boats are the perfect summer appetizer. Once you try these, you will be hooked.
Are you an avocado lover? I never used to be, and for the life of me, I don’t know why not. Some weird thing in my head told me guacamole was not delicious. What? How is that possible?
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this mashed avocado spread are at the bottom of the post.
Seriously, it was a long time before I defied my brain and decided to give avocados a shot. I mean how can so many people love this stuff and my brain said no?
I always tell the kids (and the grandkids) you won’t know if you like it until you try it. OMG! I literally have gone years not enjoying avocados for no reason. I have deprived myself for too long. No wonder California toast is so popular. I have even convinced hubby, and now he enjoys this as much as I do.
Simple Avocado Toast Ingredients
I love simple to make food. This easy avocado recipe is just that. You will need:
- garlic oil
- red pepper flakes
- smoked sea salt
Avocados are always in my kitchen. I often just cut one open and eat it with a spoon. I don’t even need toast.
There are lots of great culinary uses, and here are some ways we enjoy using them in recipes:
- Banana Chocolate Pudding (my grandkids LOVE this healthy dessert)
- Guacamole Appetizer Bites (a fun party appetizer)
- Mediterranean Tuna Avocado Salad (perfect for lunch or dinner)
- Smoked Salmon Plate (the perfect dinner for a hot summer day)
- Banana Popsicles (better than store-bought)
- Green Devil (a fun twist on devilled eggs)
How To Make Smashed Avocado On Toast
This recipe is so easy, even the kids can make this! They may need a little help getting the pit out of the avocado.
- Mash the avocado to our desired texture. I like it a little on the chunky side.
- Toast your favourite bread.
- Pile the mashed avocado on the toast.
- Garnish and enjoy!
**Hint** Be sure to always mash the avocado in a bowl, not on top of the toast.
Does Frozen Avocado Work?
Yes, it sure does. I always have a bag in the freezer. Just thaw a few cubes either in the fridge or the microwave before mashing.
Best Kind Of Avocado to Use
There are several kinds of avocados to choose from. All are delicious and work great in this recipe. You want them to be ripe, but not too ripe. They should be a little soft when you give them a gentle squeeze. Here are just a few to choose from:
- Lamb Hass
What Is The Best Bread For Making Avocado Toast?
The choice is yours. I like to use sturdy bread since the avocado spread can be heavy, especially once you pile on the toppings.
- Gluten-free bread works great in this recipe
- Thin buns
Creative Avocado Toast Toppings
Take your toast to new levels of deliciousness, from classic to innovative ideas. Get creative with these tasty toast toppings.
- grilled shrimp
- smoked salmon
- rotisserie chicken
- bacon (because bacon makes everything delicious)
- cheese (feta works great)
- eggs (avocado and eggs are so good)
- balsamic vinegar
- spicy seasonings
- Montreal bagel seasoning
Avocado on toast seems to be eaten at any time of day in my house. The perfect meal for when I don’t feel like cooking. This mashed avocado spread is perfect on crackers too.
Guacamole is a dip made with avocado, along with the addition of onions, tomatoes, and spices.
Although unappealing, it is safe to eat. It can taste bitter, but it is not spoiled. It is caused by a chemical reaction in the air. It takes several days for oxidation to occur for complete spoilage.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Smashed Avocado on Toast
- 1 Avocado (about 5 ounces)
- 2 slices bread (your choice)
- 1 tablespoon garlic olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked sea salt
- arugula leaves (optional/for garnish)
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash roughly with a fork and set aside.
- Toast your choice of bread.
- Brush toast with garlic olive oil.
- Divide smashed avocado onto the slices of toast.
- Sprinkle on the red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle on the smoked sea salt.
- Top with salsa.
- Garnish (or not).