Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Mexican Inspiration are bursting with flavour. Crushed tortilla chips and Mexican seasoning make these baked chicken drumsticks crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and finger licking good.
Do you prefer crispy baked chicken or crispy fried chicken? I am not a fan of deep fried foods (except for fries). I make crispy fries at home all the time (without all the oil). Now crispy baked chicken is a whole other ball game. This oven fried chicken recipe is going to knock your socks off. So will my Crispy Onion Rings!
These juicy tender chicken legs are coated, then baked! NO frying here. I have eaten my fair share of KFC in the past but NEVER tried the Double Down. That is way beyond my tolerance for fried foods. I have never tried deep fried ice cream either.
Once you try these Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks, you will be hooked. Biting through that crispy tortilla crusted, Mexican seasoned skin to the juicy meat underneath is a party in your mouth. Make lots, the family will be fighting for the last one. Our favourite oven fried chicken hands down.
Getting all the crunch and flavour without all the extra fat and calories is my way of cooking. Baking is a great way of getting crispy results, even with things like egg rolls.
All it takes is Mexican seasoning and tortilla chips to make the most delicious crispy chicken you have EVER tasted. The seasoning can be your own homemade blend, or store-bought (that’s what I used). If you have taco seasoning, that will work too. I used plain tortilla chips, but feel free to try any variety you like. How cool would blue tortilla chips look here?
Let’s talk about the seasoning for a minute. Most often I make my own blends, EXCEPT when I can get my hands on some REALLY GOOD blends. The blend I used in this drumstick recipe is called Mexican Kitchen Cartel, and it is made by The Spice Company. There are LOTS of great blends to choose from (and cool names to go along with them too).
These high-quality spice blends really do pack a punch. They are handcrafted in small batches with NO added fillers, additives, dyes, or MSG! They can be ordered online too. You really need to check out the packaging. Not only is it bright and attractive, but it also protects the spices from UV rays and oxidization too.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN
Put up your hand if you have NEVER made crispy chicken in the oven. Drumsticks in the oven are the BEST! It is so easy, and less messy than frying. All you need are a few ingredients and a well greased foil lined baking sheet. If you wrap the sheet really well you won’t have a lot of cleanup either. Way easier than dealing with all that oil.
The secret to making crispy baked chicken is the “crumb coating”, and leaving the skin on. Removing the skin still produces tasty results. If you are looking for that crunchy sound and crisp texture, it is all about the skin. Oven fried chicken would not be crispy without the skin.
There are several options for the crumb coating. For this crispy chicken recipe, I used crushed tortilla chips. Panko breadcrumbs or crackers are great, and so are cornflakes. Have you ever had cornflake chicken? I remember my mom making that when I was a kid.
Some baked chicken recipes use the “flour-egg-crumb method” to coat the chicken. My method is way easier, which means less mess and fewer dishes.
- Wash the drumsticks and pat dry.
- Place crushed tortilla chips in a large bowl.
- Generously rub Mexican seasoning on each piece of chicken.
- One at a time, take a drumstick and brush it with oil and generously coat it with the crushed tortilla chips.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook until golden brown.
How easy is that? While this chicken bakes, the aroma will have you licking your lips in anticipation of the deliciousness that is only a few minutes away.
How long to cook chicken drumsticks in the oven? I baked these for 25 minutes at 400º F. The safe internal temperature of poultry is 165º F. I like to use an *instant-read thermometer to be sure.
CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS, THIGHS OR LEGS
Do you call them chicken drumsticks or chicken legs? I have always called them drumsticks. Seems that I use the drums or the thighs most often. This recipe would work great with any cut you like. I am already anticipating some baking some crispy chicken wings in the very near future.
These Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Mexican Inspiration are a favourite around here. With a couple of sides like fries and coleslaw, takeout doesn’t have a chance in this house. Easy to make, delicious to eat, and I guarantee your family won’t complain if you have leftovers either.
What is your favourite crumb coating? I will say crushed tortilla chips worked amazingly well on the drumstick recipe.
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks with Mexican Inspiration
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 ounces tortilla chips (crushed)
- 3 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400º FLine baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray.
- Wash chicken drumsticks and pat dry. Place on a plate.
- Crush tortilla chips using a food processor. You can also place them in a plastic bag and crush them with your hand. Place the crushed chips in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put your oil and Mexican seasoning in bowls and set aside.
- Generously rub each drumstick with the Mexican seasoning, making sure to cover it all over. Place on a plate.
- Working with one piece of chicken at a time, lightly brush some oil on the drumstick. Place it in the tortilla chips and nicely coat. Place the coated chicken on the baking sheet.Continue this with each piece of chicken.
- Place the baking sheet into the pre heated oven, and bake until golden brown, and crispy (about 25 minutes), turning 1/2 way through.
- When cooked, remove from oven.