Packed with fruit and flavour, these Apple Fig & Oatmeal Muffins with their delicate streusel topping pairs perfectly with your latte or tea.
There is nothing like a fresh baked muffin, one of my favourite items to order when I go out for coffee. Perfect for that little afternoon break, or even breakfast or brunch.
Muffins come in so many different varieties I think you could go a whole year without eating the same one twice. Sweet or savoury they make a great little snack. These Apple Fig & Oatmeal Muffins are so easy to make and are so delicious. Packed with chunks of sweet apple, pieces of dried figs and nutty oatmeal, all under a wonderful sweet streusel topping. I know my afternoon coffee break just got a whole lot better.
For these muffins I used a sweet apple like Pink Lady. Dried figs add flavour, while old fashioned oatmeal is great in muffins both in texture and a nutty touch. Combined together these ingredients make one mighty fine and tasty muffin.
I love making a huge batch of muffins. You can always freeze some for later, or you can always give them to friends/family. I know my kids love getting fresh baked treats delivered to their door.
These are quick and easy to whip up. Make your streusel topping and set aside. Chop up the apples (I leave the skin on) and figs. Mix everything together, scoop into muffin cups, sprinkle on the topping and bake. Soon your house will be smelling so good and your fresh muffins will be ready to eat in no time.
Treat yourself to a coffee shop delight. Apple Fig & Oatmeal Muffins are perfect for that little break in your busy day!!
Follow Me!! Like my Facebook page!!
- For the Topping:
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. butter (melted)
- For the Muffins:
- 1 cup of fresh apple (diced and skin on)
- ½ cup chopped dried figs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a muffin tray with liners
- For the Topping: Mix all ingredients together until it resembles coarse sand and set aside
- Dice the apples and figs and place in a bowl
- Toss the apples and figs with about 2 tbsp. flour and set aside
- For the Muffins: In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and oats
- In another bowl combine oil, sugar, milk and egg and blend until smooth
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir until evenly blended (don't over mix)
- Add the apple/fig mixture and mix until coated
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin (filling to ¾ full)
- Spoon some of the topping on each muffin
- Bake for approximately 22-25 minutes
- Remove from oven, cool slightly before taking them out onto a wire rack