Oatmeal Pancakes with Kefir are hearty and delicious. This is a super easy to make pancake recipe from scratch.
Fibre and protein-rich pancakes are made with kefir instead of buttermilk. Wholesome and satisfying.
Great for breakfast, brunch, and dinner too. Make a huge batch and have them ready for the week. Easily warmed up for quick eating on busy weekday mornings. This is the best oatmeal pancake recipe in our house!!
We also love apple muffins made with figs and oatmeal too.
Brunch on the weekends is a great way to start the day. Finally, time to sit down and actually enjoy your meal without having to rush out the door to work and school.
Do you have a favourite dish you like to cook for the weekend brunch?
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these oatmeal kefir protein pancakes can be found at the bottom of the post.
Oatmeal is a great ingredient. I love using it in lots of delicious recipes.
Have you ever tried oatmeal breakfast donuts? You are in for a treat. Who says you cannot have donuts for breakfast? You can when they are healthy baked donuts.
Baked oatmeal casserole is another great recipe. Make it on the weekend, and have leftovers for weekdays too.
Of course, this homemade muesli recipe is so much better than the boxed stuff at the store. Make it just the way you like. While you are at it, you might want to try this oatmeal and chocolate recipe too.
For Oatmeal Protein Pancakes You Need:
- old fashioned oats (not instant)
- kefir (flavoured or unflavoured)
- flour (all-purpose)
- chia seeds
- oil (I used avocado oil)
- baking powder
- fruit for topping (optional)
You are getting protein from the oats, chia seed and kefir. There are no bananas in these fluffy oatmeal pancakes.
Have never tried kefir? It is similar to a yogurt drink. It comes in plain and flavoured. It is readily available at the grocery store in the dairy section, usually beside the yogurt.
Feeling adventurous? Try making kefir at home.
Can You Substitute Kefir For Buttermilk In Recipes?
Kefir is actually fermented milk, very similar to buttermilk. Probiotic-rich drink with lots of gut-healthy bacteria. You can substitute it 1:1 in recipes. If you like, you can also use flavoured kefir in this recipe.
How To Make Kefir Oatmeal Pancakes From Scratch
Pancake mixes are convenient, but really, making pancakes from scratch is super easy. Plus, these are super healthy too because of all the wonderful ingredients.
It’s really just as simple as:
- Combining the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Combining the wet ingredients in a measuring cup
- Mix the two together
- Cook on a heated skillet
- Remove, garnish and eat
Basically all the same steps as using the store bought mix, with just a little more measuring to get all the dry ingredients for the recipe.
- I like to use (affiliate) old fashioned oatmeal in this recipe. It is more nutritious, and adds nice texture too.
- These pancakes freeze well. I like to individually wrap them in plastic wrap. You can reheat them in the toaster, microwave, or wrap in some foil and place them in the oven.
- I like to use (affiliate) avocado oil in this recipe for the nutritional benefits.
Looking for more recipes using kefir? I just happen to have a couple for you to try:
This vanilla smoothie recipe is the perfect start to your day. Made with figs, cherries, kefir and oatmeal too.
Looking for a healthy treat? Give these kefir popsicles a try. The kids will love them, especially since they contain chocolate chips too.
Breakfast for dinner!! Do you do this at your house too? We often have breakfast items for dinner like these Waffle Sandwiches. Sometimes it’s fun to mix up the dinner scene and add some variety to the week.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Oatmeal Protein Pancakes with Kefir
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 cups kefir (flavoured or plain)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Toppings of your choice
- In a bowl combine the oatmeal and kefir, and set aside.
- In a bowl or measuring cup, beat the eggs, oil and honey.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour and mix well. Add the oatmeal/kefir mixture and combine well.
- Add the chia seeds and mix.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add about 2 teaspoon of butter.
- Pour about ⅓ cup batter (per pancake) into the pan. Cook (3-5 minutes) until the top of the pancake is bubbly.
- Flip and cook the other side.
- Remove cooked pancakes from pan. Place on a heatproof serving tray, and place in a warm oven to until you have finished cooking all the pancakes.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and sides.