The perfect brunch item…Waffle Sandwich filled with ham, apples and cheese topped with a maple syrup mustard. This comes a close second to my famous Christmas Morning Sandwiches.
Who doesn’t love brunch?? I totally LOVE it. It’s one of those meals that you can serve many different items both sweet and savoury. Fresh fruits, eggs all ways, meat selections, pancakes, waffles, side dishes, salads…and yes even dessert. You basically have free reign to do whatever your little heart desires. It doesn’t get more tasty than that. You can even serve alcohol if you like, Mimosa, Bellini, Bloody Mary….or just a boozed up coffee. I think brunch is the perfect ALL DAY meal!!
I am a huge fan of celebrity chefs. I watch all the cooking shows, and am totally addicted to cookbooks. I really don’t even know how many I have, but I do know that I keep adding to the collection. If you have ever watched any of the shows you will agree that Bobby Flay is the master of brunch. I was so excited to finally get a copy of his newest book Brunch @ Bobby’s.
If brunch isn’t your thing, take a look at this awesome book (link below) and you will be running into the kitchen to create some of these mouthwatering dishes to totally devour. I couldn’t wait to give it a try.
We love waffles so it was no surprise that my first recipe recreation was one that included them. Let me tell you these sandwiches are incredibly good. How can you go wrong with waffles, ham, cheese and maple syrup? All these classics combined into an amazing Waffle Sandwich.
I easily adapted Bobby’s original version with items I already had at home…and yup it totally worked. Taking the shots for this post drove me crazy because I just wanted to eat the sandwich!!
So like most brunch dishes it is not complicated. You start by making some cornmeal waffles. Then you layer on some ham, apples, cheese and maple mustard. Place in the oven till the cheese melts….then EAT!!
You can always use different cheeses, apple varieties or even meat selections to either work with what you already have in the fridge, or to create a specific flavour combination. Whatever you choose these Waffle Sandwiches will have you coming back for more.
Next time you are looking for a brunch item give these a try.
**affiliate link** This recipe was adapted from Brunch @ Bobby’s
Looking for more breakfast/brunch ideas….give these a try:
For the Waffles:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups greek yogurt (unflavoured)
- 5 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites (beaten into stiff peaks)
For the Sandwiches:
- 2-3 slices of ham (per sandwich)
- 1 cup grated cheese (your choice)
- 1 apple (thinly sliced)
For the Toppings:
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
To make the Waffles:
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix yogurt, butter, maple syrup and egg yolks.
- Combine the flour mixture and the wet mixture.
- Beat egg whites, and fold into batter.
- Heat waffle iron.
- Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook all your waffles.
To make the Topping:
- Combine mustard and 2 tbsp. of maple syrup.
To create the Sandwiches:
- Place 2 waffles on a baking sheet.
- Spread a bit of the topping on each waffle.
- On 1 waffle layer on some cheese.
- Add some slices of apple.
- Add some slices of ham.
- Add another layer of cheese.
- Top with the other waffle (mustard side down).Do this until you have assembled all your sandwiches.
To bake the Sandwiches:
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place sandwiches on baking tray into the hot oven. Bake until cheese melts.