What do you eat for Christmas breakfast? These Christmas Morning Sandwiches have been our family tradition for decades.
This overnight breakfast casserole is so easy. While you are busy opening presents on Christmas morning, these sandwiches bake and are ready to eat when you are.
According to my family, these are THE BEST breakfast sandwiches, and the family tradition continues.
Do you have family traditions in your home? Certain things that are a must each holiday season? We sure do. Now we have more fun with grandkids in the mix.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these make-ahead breakfast sandwiches can be found at the bottom of this post.
Holiday foods are so delicious, and we have a slew of favourites here.
- Holiday croissants are great for weekend brunches. They even make a quick dessert idea too.
- Rum and Eggnog Latte is a must for tree trimming, and movie watching.
- Festive Granola is always a great stocking stuffer or gift for the teacher.
- Boozy Bourbon Fudge is the ultimate food gift for holiday parties.
- Ultimate Cranberry Sauce is always a hit (serve some with these sandwiches too).
- Easy Gravy made from scratch is a must for mashed potatoes and stuffing.
As for Christmas breakfast, well you already know what we have. One year I thought of making something different. OMG, my adult kids went nuts. They said Christmas morning is not Christmas morning without these sandwiches. Even my grandkids now insist on only eating these breakfast sandwiches on Christmas Day.
This Breakfast Casserole Needs:
It seems like such a long time ago that I first made these sandwiches. I wanted to have something ready and waiting to put in the oven while we opened presents.
With all the excitement happening, preparing breakfast was one thing I did not want to worry about. After all, I would be in the kitchen soon enough getting the holiday dinner on the table. This is the easiest holiday breakfast hands down. Make as many pans as you need.
- Sliced Bread of any kind. I like to use the Texas Toast thick cut. Of course home-baked bread is alwasy a delicious option.
- Deli Meat – I use a combination of turkey and ham. Sliced chicken is another great option.
- Butter – to help make the sandwiches nice and brown.
- Eggs – white or brown.
- Milk – but you can always use cream if you prefer.
- Cheese – a variety that melts nicely.
Make Ahead Christmas Morning Sandwiches Assembly
Before we go to bed, my daughter and I assemble this breakfast sandwich casserole and place it in the fridge for the morning.
We make our little assembly line, chat, and get it done! Be sure to check the recipe card for detailed instructions.
These easy breakfast sandwiches are like a grilled cheese, stuffed french toast fusion.
- Prepare your baking pans.
- Butter the outside of the bread (like for grilled cheese)
- Layer the cheese and meat, and top with the other slice of bread.
- Cut the sandwiches in half, and place in baking dish.
- Mix the milk and eggs (like for french toast).
- Pour over the sandwiches, cover with foil and place in the fridge.
In the morning I put on a pot of coffee and head down to the family room. Stockings, presents, excitement, love, and laughter fill the room. The grandkids get here REALLY early, but seriously my husband doesn’t sleep the night before Christmas either. I remember he had us up at 5:00 a.m.once!
When things start to settle down, I go upstairs and turn on the oven (and make another pot of coffee). Once the oven is ready, I take the pans of sandwiches out of the fridge and place them in the oven. This usually gives us about another 30 minutes or so to finish up with the presents. By now everyone is starting to get hungry.
We head upstairs to the dining room. Pans of sandwiches are placed on the table and everyone helps themselves. See, told you this would be easy. Our Christmas Morning Sandwiches tradition lives on.
- Foil pans are great for this recipe. Clean up is a breeze.
- Any kind of bread will work, but you really want it to be able to soak up the milk/egg mixture.
- Deli meat is a personal preference for sure. You can really use any kind you like. You can also place more or less in the sandwiches.
- Milk can be replaced with cream, or non dairy oat milk is an option.
- Eggs can be white, brown, large or extra large.
- Butter can be replaced with a good quality margaine spread.
- Cheese slices have lots of options. Be sure is melts nicely. I love using Provolone, but Swiss, Gouda, Edam, Cheddar would be great choices.
What Is The Most Common Christmas Breakfast?
There is no end to delicious options for your holiday breakfasts and brunches.
- Gingerbread French Toast
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Christmas Quiche
- Monkey Bread
- Egg Tacos
- Smoked Salmon Bagel
- Bacon and Egg Breakfast Biscuits
- Egg Muffin Omelette
In our house, the holidays are all about spending time together and our special family traditions.
For some fun blog trivia, can you guess my Top Recipes? I am sure some will surprise you.
Hope you give this Christmas sandwich idea a try. It just might become your family tradition too. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Christmas Morning Breakfast Sandwiches
- 12 slices bread (your choice)
- 6 ounces deli ham
- 6 ounces deli smoked turkey
- 6 ounces provolone cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter optional
- Spray your baking pans with cooking spray, and set aside.
To prepare the Sandwiches:
- Butter the outside of the bread slices (like for grilled cheese). Use 2 slices of buttered bread per sandwich.
- Layers as follows: 2 slices of turkey, 2 slices of cheese, then 2 slices of ham.
- Cut sandwich diagonally and arrange in a sprayed casserole dish, cut side down. (I try to stagger the sandwiches in the pan).
- Beat the eggs and milk in a measuring cup and pour over the tops and sides of the sandwiches.
- Cover with foil and place in fridge until ready to bake.
To bake in the morning:
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- Place sandwiches in oven uncovered and bake for about 30 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Remove from oven and ENJOY!!