A new twist on a classic favourite, Spaghetti and Meatballs Chinese Style is a hot and spicy feast that is packed full of flavour.
Who doesn’t love a great spaghetti and meatball dinner? I know it is always a favourite around here. Juicy meatballs surrounded by a great sauce, piled on top of a nice bowl of pasta. Sounds like dinner to me.
There are so many wonderful variations for this classic meal. So many ways to make the sauce, different meats to make the wonderful juicy meatballs, and of course your choice of pasta. I think you can pretty well make spaghetti and meatballs different every time.
I came across this awesome recipe from a really well known fantastic blogger The Chunky Chef and it inspired me to be a little creative in the kitchen, so Spaghetti and Meatballs Chinese Style was adapted from her great recipe.
For this recipe I wanted to change the meatballs up a bit, so I decided on doing an all pork version. You don’t usually see this and I wanted to see how well it would work. I combined the pork with fresh bread (that was soaked in water) and the meatballs came out so juicy I was thrilled with the results.
The regular tomato sauce was replaced with a sweet and spicy chili sauce, and I also sautéed some fresh mushrooms for some added texture and flavour.
Let me tell you this was one awesome pasta dish. Seriously we loved it better than any takeout we have had, and the best part is it’s homemade!! You can certainly experiment with different meats if you like as well as the spices so you can adjust it to your desired level of heat.
Next time you are looking for a great pasta dish, venture into the kitchen and try the Italian/Chinese fusion Spaghetti and Meatballs Chinese Style. If a sweet with heat flavour is what you are looking for, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
I am Brand Ambassador for Ontario Pork….check out their awesome recipes for more pork inspired dishes.
Have you signed up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER? Grab your FREE printable when you do.
Spaghetti and Meatballs Chinese Style
For the Pork Meatballs:
- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 slices white bread (no crust and soaked in water just enough to cover the bread)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Thai sweet red chili sauce
For the Meatball Sauce:
- 4 tbsp organic soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp red chili paste
- 3 tbsp raw organic honey
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the Spaghetti:
- 1 pound pasta (spaghetti or linguini)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Agave nectar
- 3 tbsp red chili sauce
- 1/2 cup organic soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 fresh mushrooms (sliced)
To make the Meatball Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Set aside till ready to use.
To make the Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400º F and get a pan/dish ready and set aside.
- Combine all the meatball ingredients together, but DO NOT over mix.
- Shape into balls (about the size of a golf ball) and place in prepared pan/dish.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and place meatballs on paper towel to drain any excess fat.
- Combine the sauce with the meatballs and set aside.
To make the Spaghetti:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- When it is boiling, season water with salt and cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking get the sauce ready by combing all ingredients except olive oil and garlic.
- In a wok heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add sauce mixture and cook till thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Drain cooked pasta and add to sauce in wok.
- Sauté the fresh mushrooms in a bit of olive oil in a shallow fry pan.
When ready to serve:
- Place some of the pasta from the wok into a serving bowl.
- Top with 3-4 meatballs that are covered in sauce.
- Add some mushrooms to the bowl.
- Garnish (I used fresh pea shoots).