Traditional Egg Noodle Casserole is one of my favourite childhood memories.
Baked egg noodles that I called Ukrainian pasta! All it takes is noodles, eggs, and milk.
Baba would have this ready for me as an after school treat. How I miss her cooking. This noodle casserole brings back so many wonderful memories.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these baked noodles are at the bottom of this post.
When you were a kid, what was your go-to snack after school? Cake, cookies, chips? Mine was egg noodle casserole! I am totally serious.
Savoury food all the way for me. I do enjoy desserts (who doesn’t), but given the choice between freshly baked cookies or fresh baked bread, bread wins hands down.
It really does not get easier than this. You will need:
- egg noodles
Everyone has eaten casseroles with noodles. You know the ones I am talking about.
Those wonderful casseroles made with cream soups.
- hamburger casseroles
- chicken noodle casserole
- tuna noodle casserole
Do these bring back memories? Noodle dinner recipes that were (or even still are) family favourites. The perfect casserole to take to pot lucks and family gatherings. Did you like crushed potato chips on your noodle casserole?
How To Make Ukrainian Egg Noodle Casserole
This really is a simple noodle recipe to put together.
- Cook egg noodles “al dente”
- Combine cooked noodles with eggs, milk, and seasonings.
- Place in a greased casserole dish.
The milk and eggs form sort of custard as the casserole bakes. The noodles on top get nice and crunchy (the best part). Once baked you can eat this warm, but I even eat it cold.
How Long Does It Take To Boil Egg Noodles?
This type of noodle cooks quickly. Overcooking will produce soggy, mushy noodles.
Use a large pot of boiling water. The noodles need space to cook properly.
Fresh noodles will cook in about 3-4 minutes. Dried, store-bought variety will take 5-7 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodles.
There are lots of varieties, and here are just a few:
Have you ever tasted homemade egg noodles? I sure hope so. Baba’s were THE BEST EVER. My mom could churn these out too, but there is that special touch only baba’s (or grammas) have. Something I am striving to achieve for my grandkids.
She also made the best pierogies too. If you love pierogies, then you NEED to make this creamy Pierogi Sauce. It is THE BEST topping ever.
Egg noodle casserole is known as kugel (the Jewish version) or pastiera, the traditional Easter egg noodle pudding found on the Ukrainian and Italian tables. They can also be referred to as kluski.
Are You A Pasta Lover?
Here are a few delicious recipes for you to try:
- Canned Tuna Pasta Toss made with simple ingredients.
- Easy Penne Pasta made with a delicious olive tapenade.
- Green Thai Curry better than takeout for dinner any night.
- Mushroom Bites a fun and nostalgic appetizer.
I bake my noodles in a glass baking dish. That is how mom did it. There is something about seeing those nice brown edges through the glass.
Good old noodle casseroles will never go out of style. This Traditional Egg Noodle Casserole Ukrainian Style will be a treasured favourite forever. ❤I miss you baba❤.
Looking For More Casserole Recipes For Dinner ?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
Traditional Egg Noodle Casserole Ukrainian Style
- 12 ounces egg noodle
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºFGrease a 9×13 baking dish/pan
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- Drain, and rinse with cold water.Place cooked egg noodles into the greased baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and salt.
- Pour evenly over the noodles in the baking dish.
- Slightly press down the noodles into the liquid.
- Bake in oven until set, and top is nicely browned (that is the best part). Approximately 45 minutes.
- Cut into squares. Can be eaten hot or cold.