Nutella Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins is the perfect place to hide some zucchini. After all, this time of year we need all the zucchini recipes we can get.
Chocolate chips and Nutella create the most delicious double chocolate muffin. If you are a fan of zucchini bread, this recipe is calling your name.
I love making homemade muffins. Great for snacks. Awesome to tuck into lunch boxes. My favourite breakfast is a fresh cup of coffee and an apple oatmeal muffin.
Of course, I cannot resist toffee apple muffins either. Perfect for fall.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these chocolate zucchini muffins can be found at the bottom of this post.
The end of the summer harvest season brings a plethora of wonderful fruits and vegetables. Zucchini seems to flourish and trying to find multiple ways to use it can become a challenge.
I am sure you already know that zucchini is packed with nutrition.
- low in calories
- good source of vitamins and minerals
- great source of fibre
- can be eaten raw or cooked
Baking with zucchini one way, but have you ever tried zucchini burgers?
This Homemade Muffin Recipe Needs:
- Zucchini – there is no shortage. This is the perfect place to use it.
- Flour – all purpose is used in this recipe. A gluten-free blend would also work.
- Eggs – I love using free run, but any type of egg works here.
- Milk – I used 2%, but feel free to use any type, even dairy-free too.
- Sour Cream – I used full fat. Reduced fat does work, but the muffins are not as rich.
- Vanilla – honestly, the recipe calls for 2 teaspoons, but I never measure, just pour LOL.
- Sugar – plain white sugar.
- Butter – nothing beats butter, but margarine does work.
- Baking Soda, Baking Powder – the basics of any baked goods.
- Chocolate Chips – I used semi sweet. Feel free to experiment with milk chocolate or dark chocolate. Want to shake things up? Add some white chcolate chips!
- Nutella – who can resist this delicous hazelnut spread. I can eat this right off the spoon!
As you can see, there is room for substitutions in this recipe. You can easily swap out ingredients that work best for you.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins Are Easy To Make
- First, you need to grate the zucchini. Since I had a lot to work with, I used a food processor. If you are only working with what you need for this recipe, a box grater works great.
Be sure to remove the excess moisture before using. The easiest way is to place the grated zucchini in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the liquid. Set aside in a bowl until it is ready to use.
- Next, combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. You can do this by hand, but I prefer to use a hand-held mixer. Add in the sour cream and Nutella and zucchini.
- Alternately combine the flour mixture and milk.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
I like to use a lined muffin tin. Paper liners are easy to find and come in lots of different colours. Filling the muffin tin is super easy if you use an ice cream scoop.
How To Freeze Zucchini
I don’t know where you are located, but this summer zucchinis have been huge!! Seriously the hot, dry summer seemed to really help them grow. Here is the easiest way to freeze it, perfect for zucchini recipes all year long.
- Wash and trim off the ends.
- Grate it using a box grater or food processor. You DO NOT have to peel it!
- Place in a sieve and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer a kitchen towel, wrap and squeeze out any addidional liquid.
- Place into freezer bags. I usually put in about 2 cups worth. Try to remove out as much air as possible.
- Lay bags flat, just like in this freezer friendly tomato recipe.
When you want to use some, just defrost in the fridge. If you are in a hurry you can also submerge the bag in cold water. Squeeze out any excess water and you are ready to go.
What To Do With Extra Zucchini
Such a great ingredient to work with. You can use it in so many recipes both savoury and sweet.
- Bake with it.
- Create great side dishes. Have you tried zucchini gazpacho? The perfect cold soup for summer.
- Eat it raw. The perfect addition to this goat cheese zucchini salad.
- Use it in place of pasta. Zucchini noodles and shrimp make a healthy meal any night of the week.
- Pickle it! Our favourite summer condiment is pickled zucchini ribbons.
- Great as an addition to these grilled chicken skewers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cool completely before freezing. Wrap in foil, plastic wrap or place in a sealed container.
They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Longer may produce freezer burn.
Thaw frozen muffins at room temperature. You can also heat in the microwave on a plate or paper towel. Use a few second intervals to get to the desired temperature. You can also wrap them in foil and heat them in a moderate oven for several minutes.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins with Nutella
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated zucchini (squeeze to remove excess moisture)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ⅔ cup nutella
- ¾ cup butter (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Prepare muffin tins with liners.
- Grate zucchini and squeeze out excess moisture (set aside).
- Combine flour, baking powder & baking soda in a bowl (set aside).2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder, 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- In another bowl, cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.2 eggs, 1 cup sugar, ¾ cup butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Add sour cream.½ cup sour cream
- Add Nutella.⅔ cup nutella
- Add zucchini.2 cups grated zucchini
- Alternately to this mixture add flour mixture, and milk.½ cup milk
- Add chocolate chips, mixing just to combine (do not over mix).1 cup chocolate chips
- Bake for approximately 20-23 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes.
- Remove to cooling rack.