This old-fashioned cheddar cornbread is packed with spicy heat. It can be baked in a baking dish, or made in a cast-iron skillet too. A traditional cornbread recipe that is moist and so delicious.
Jalapenos, corn kernels, and lots of cheddar cheese. The perfect side to soup, chili, or just on its own. Cayenne and black pepper add more heat to this spicy cornbread recipe.
If you love warm cheesy goodness, you also need to try these Cheddar Cheese Muffins.
Sweet cornbread does not cut it for me. It is all about the spice. I relate it to southern flavours. Things like cayenne and jalapeño. Shrimp and grits are iconic for sure.
Several years ago, my daughter brought some leftover cheesy cornbread home from a party she attended. I still remember her saying, “Mom, you are going to LOVE this”. She was right.
Thank goodness it was made by her good friend Kris, and she has kindly let me replicate it for you. She just happens to be part of the great Canadian band Loco Zydeco.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this southern jalapeno cornbread can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Old-Fashioned Cheddar Cornbread Ingredients
All it takes are some simple ingredients, nothing that is hard to find.
- Jalaepno peppers
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
- Lemon juice
Another thing I totally relate to southern cooking is using cast iron skillets. I have a huge selection of sizes and I use them ALL the time.
From Crispy Cast Iron Potatoes to Greek Nachos, my skillets get lots of use. Hubby uses them on the BBQ too. Bacon and eggs on a Saturday morning, or sautéing some mushrooms to go with that awesome steak for dinner, cast iron works wonders whether you are cooking indoors or at the campfire.
How To Make Cast Iron Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread
This is simple to make, yet really packs a punch. Mix, pour, and bake. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet that is ok. Kris uses a glass baking dish (and I have too).
Here is the condensed version, please see the recipe card for everything you need to know.
- Line your baking dish with parchment. I used a skillet for this recipe, and DID NOT preheat it.
- Grate your cheese.
- Preheat the oven.
- Chop the jalapeno peppers (remove the seeds if you don’t want all the heat).
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat buttermilk along with diced jalapenos. Cool slightly.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour and bake.
Bread Made With Cornmeal
There are several varieties, usually baked or fried, but can also be steamed to create a cornmeal pudding.
- Baked Cornbread can be made sweet or savoury.
- Cracklin Bread has addition of pork rind as an ingredient.
- Johnnycakes are similar to a pancake, a skillet fried cornbread patty.
- Hushpuppies are made with a buttermilk batter that is deep-fried.
- If you prefer LESS spice, reduce the amount of jalapenos, cayenne and black pepper.
- Removing the seeds from the pepper reduce the heat level as well.
- If baking in a skillet that is not pre-heated, the baking time will need to be adjusted. I did not pre-heat my skillet.
- Change the cheese. Smoked cheddar works great in this recipe.
- Corn kernels can be fresh, frozen or canned. Creamed corn does not work well in this recipe.
- No buttermilk? Thin out some sour cream or plain yourt with milk.
Properly stored, it will last 1-2 days at room temperature, and about 1 week in the fridge.
Wrap in foil for best results. You can also use plastic wrap.
Cornbread can be frozen for several months. Be sure to wrap it well.
You can pop it in the microwave, wrap it in foil, reheat in the oven, or even the bbq.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Serve this buttermilk cheddar cornbread with:
Still looking for some great bread recipes?
Irish Soda Bread is quick and easy. It can be made any night of the week.
Onion Bread is the perfect side to comfort foods like soup, chili, and stew.
If you want to try your hands on making homemade bread from scratch, I have just the recipe for you. This Sun-dried Tomato and Olive Artisan bread recipe is so delicious. Follow the steps in the post for perfect results.
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- ½ cup chopped jalapeno peppers seeds and ribs removed
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- Line bottom and sides of square glass baking dish (8×8 or 9×9) with parchment paper. Alternatively you can use a cast iron skillet.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Heat buttermilk and jalapenos in microwave on high for 1 minute. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk/jalapenpo mixture with eggs, cheese and corn, add to dry ingredients.
- Mix only until blended.
- Add lemon juice and melted butter.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean. If using cast iron, baking time will increase slightly.
- Remove from oven, cut into wedges and enjoy.