Who loves chocolate for breakfast? I do! This delicious Chocolate Oatmeal recipe is full of healthy ingredients.
Overnight oats are the best. Breakfast is waiting, and ready when you are. No excuses for skipping the most important meal of the day.
Healthy breakfast recipes don’t have to be boring. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Oatmeal Breakfast Donuts are baked with lots of healthy ingredients.
- Breakfast Banana Split is just like eating dessert.
- Homemade Muesli is so much better than the store-bought Alpen cereal.
- Sunrise Overnight Oats made with large flaked oatmeal, bananas and yogurt.
- Baked Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal is sure to be a winner in your house.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this chocolate oats recipe can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
I do love porridge. I remember mom cooking it on the stove. Great for the cold winter mornings before heading out to school. Topping it with brown sugar and milk.
She never made chocolate porridge. Wow, so glad I found out this was a thing. You can get anyone to eat breakfast if you say there is chocolate in the recipe.
Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Ingredients
If you are into plant-based recipes, this is perfect. Vegan overnight oats made with almond milk can be made on the weekend for easy breakfasts all week long.
- Steel-cut oats are super nutritious. I like using the quick-cooking variety, but the regular kind work too. If you need them gluten-free, be sure to check the labels.
- Almond milk, but feel free to use any plant-based milk you like. You can even use regular dairy milk (but not for the vegan version).
- Chia seeds are packed with nutrition.
- Hemp seeds have a mild nutty flavour. Also known as hemp hearts.
- Goji berries are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Honey is my favourite sweetener. I love to buy it local.
- Cacao powder is less processed than cocoa powder.
- Fresh berries for garnish.
You can find all of these ingredients at any health food store. Local honey is becoming readily available. I just found some blueberry honey that is so good.
How To Make Overnight Oats
A good oatmeal recipe that is so easy. You cannot mess this up. That is the truth!
- Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the almond milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, stir, dish, garnish with some fresh fruit, and eat. Easy or what? This chocolate breakfast will be hard to resist.
I can attest to the fact that coffee and chocolate go hand in hand. Have you tried mocha coffee yogurt?
Best Oats For Porridge
Oatmeal is highly nutritious and comes in several types.
Steel-cut oats are my all-time favourite, especially for recipes like this. There is a quick-cooking variety that cooks up in about 7-10 minutes. The regular variety takes about 30 minutes to cook.
The oat groats are sliced and resemble grains of rice. Also known as Scottish or Irish oats. The cooked texture is chewy.
Rolled oats are made with whole grains that have been flattened. They can be large flaked, also called old-fashioned oats or regular flakes. Great for baking, and they cook much faster than steel-cut oats.
Instant oats are the most highly processed variety. They are pre-cooked and can easily be prepared with boiling water. This variety doesn’t offer the nutritional value compared to the other two.
I like to make this on the weekend for easy weekday breakfasts. Place in a sealed container in the fridge. You can keep this up to five days so no more skipping breakfast.
Overnight oatmeal is usually eaten cold. There is no reason you cannot warm this up if you prefer a hot breakfast. You can easily warm it in the microwave.
Recipes Using Oatmeal
There are so many ways to incorporate oatmeal into delicious recipes. Here are a few to try:
- Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole is baked and a great addition to the weekend brunch.
- Kefir Oatmeal Pancakes are packed with lots of healthy ingredients.
- Granola Dust is the perfect topping on any dish of yogurt.
- Homemade Granola Bars are no-bake and perfect for snacks, hikes, and eating on the run.
- Chewy Granola Bars are baked and nutrition-packed.
- Holiday Cookies are always a hit. Santa loves them.
- Chewy Oatmeal Cookies are perfect for your afternoon coffee break.
- Holiday Granola is perfect as a food gift or stocking stuffer.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal
- 3 cups unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats (quick cooking version)
- ¼ cup Chia seeds
- ½ cup Goji berries (dried)
- ¼ cup Cacao powder
- ¼ cup Honey (raw organic)
- 2 tablespoons Hemp hearts (for garnish)
- Fresh berries (optional for garnish)
- Measure and add all ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- When ready to eat, scoop into bowl, add fresh berries, sprinkle with hemp hearts.