Chickpea Curry is perfect for busy weeknights. This vegan curry recipe can be made in 30 minutes or less.
No need for expensive take-out when you can make budget-friendly meals at home. In fact, make a double batch for tasty leftovers.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this chickpea coconut curry can be found at the bottom of this post.
Life can get really busy. I love recipes like this. Made in no time. Great for batch cooking. Leftovers are great for easy meals during the week.
With the cost of groceries continually on the rise, looking for recipes that are budget-friendly is on the minds of most families these days.
Ingredients For Curry With Chickpeas
- coconut milk
- red bell peppers
- fresh spinach
- cooking oil
- Indian spices
Be sure to keep reading for additional suggestions and recipe tips below.
Chickpeas are such a great ingredient. You can buy them in cans, often on sale so I like to stock up. You can also cook the dried peas. This is even more cost-effective.
You can eat canned chickpeas right out of the can. Be sure to rinse them in cold water before eating. This will wash off the excess salt.
Perfect for snacking, roasting, and in lots of great recipes. Here are a few recipes with chickpeas for you to try:
Making This Easy Chickpea Curry Recipe
This comes together quickly. I served it with rice. You can have the rice cooked ahead of time, or cook it while you are making the curry. Full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Rinse the canned chickpeas.
- Dice the onion and peppers.
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Cook the onions and spices.
- Add the peppers and chickpeas.
- Toss in the spinach.
- Add the coconut milk and water and simmer.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Chickpeas – can be canned or cooked from scratch.
Peppers – can be any variety you like. Not into peppers? Try carrots instead.
Spices – I made up my own blend (see recipe card), but feel free to use any bought blend as well.
Rice – you can serve this over any rice you like. For a nice change, try serving this curry dish over couscous.
Storage – this will last for 4-5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it, so it is perfect for batch cooking.
Reheat – this can be done easily in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Love Indian-inspired recipes? Give these a try:
Easy Chickpea Curry
- 38 ounces canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 14 ounces canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 ½ cups sweet red pepper (diced)
- 2 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoons Avocado oil for cooking
- Curry/spice blend (your choice)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Dice onion and pepper.
- Heat oil in wok.
- Sweat onions seasoned with salt for 5 minutes.
- Add your spice blend, reduce heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 1 minute
- Add coconut milk along with 1 cup of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.