You can never have too many salad recipes, and this Easy Cucumber Salad is quick, delicious and the perfect side for meat or fish.
Cucumbers, pickled red onions, and a creamy sour cream and dill dressing. Crunchy, refreshing, and the perfect side to any bbq meal.
Not only does this salad tickle your taste buds, but cucumbers are also packed with nutrition. Low in calories, high in hydration, they contain essential vitamins and minerals too. Perfect on their own as a snack, or in lots of great recipes.
- Smoked salmon salad with cucumber noodles is one of our favourite summer meals.
- Stuffed cucumbers make a great appetizer for any party.
- They are a great addition to this refreshing snap pea salad.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this old-fashioned creamy cucumber and onion salad can be found at the bottom of this post.
Easy Cucumber Salad Ingredients
Easy to find ingredients, perfect for making this delicious creamy cucumber recipe.
- fresh cucumbers
- sour cream
- dried dill
- pickled onions
Be sure to check out the recipe tips below.
Preparing Cucumber Onion Salad
Full instructions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Wash and cut the cucumbers.
- Place in a mesh sieve, sprinkle with salt, and allow to sit. See recipe tips for more info.
- Mix the sour cream and dill dressing in a bowl and set aside.
- Rinse and squeeze dry cucumbers in paper towels or kitchen towel.
- Add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add in the pickled onions.
- Add the sour cream and dill dressing.
- Toss and serve.
Fresh cucumbers are the star of the show. With so many varieties, pick your favourite.
The cucumbers can be peeled (or not), cut in circles or chunks. Seeded by removing the pulp (or not), and some people like to sprinkle salt over the cucumber slices/pieces and let them drain (sweat) for a few minutes to release excess moisture.
Sour cream and cucumbers are a match for sure. I like to use the full-fat version. You can choose low-fat sour cream if you prefer. A great alternative is Greek yogurt.
Dill is such a wonderful herb. I love growing it during the summer in the garden. I used dried dill in this creamy dill dressing. Fresh dill is a great alternative. Adjust the amount according to your preference.
Red onions are so great in salads. I used my homemade pickled onions in this recipe. Feel free to use raw red onions, or sweet white onions like Vidalia. Green onions are always a great alternative.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge. This cucumber salad will last for a day or two. It may become a little watery the longer it is kept.
This cucumber pickled onion salad with sour cream and dill dressing is sure to be a hit. Cool and crunchy, easy to prepare refreshing side dish perfect for summer.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Cucumber and Onion Salad
- 1 English cucumber
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ cup pickled onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash and slice the cucumber into ¼″ rounds. Place in a mesh sieve (over a bowl or in the sink) and sprinkle with the salt and mix a bit to distribute.
- Place in a mesh sieve (over a bowl or in the sink) and sprinkle with the salt and mix a bit to distribute. Let the cucumbers sit for 10-30 minutes (depending on how much time you have).
- Mix the sour cream and dill in a bowl and set aside. Feel free to use more if you like.
- Slice the pickled onions into thin strips, and place in a bowl.
- Rinse and take the cucumbers out of the sieve, and place in either paper towels or a kitchen towel. Give this a good squeeze to release as much moisture as possible. Place the cucumbers in the bowl with the onions.
- Add the sour cream mixture, stir to combine. Serve.