Slow cookers are so awesome, you can make a meal with little effort that comes out fantastic…and this Simple Slow Cooker Pho is no exception.
I don’t know about you, but I love using my slow cooker. When things get crazy around here, like during these very busy holiday times, getting a meal together can be a challenge. If you have a slow cooker (and if you don’t … GET ONE!!) meals are made while you are busy doing other things….like today when I was “tree trimming” and decorating the house for Christmas.
I love Asian takeout. Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai…all so full of flavour. Since I love cooking at home, making some of these wonderful dishes is a fun way to travel the world without leaving the kitchen.
Awhile ago I came across this great recipe Crockpot Chicken Pho on the wonderful blog Served from Scratch. I filed it away and today I decided to adapt it and create my version of Simple Slow Cooker Pho.
This really is a simple soup to make. It was perfect for my busy day. Dinner cooked while I decorated, then we enjoyed a wonderful meal and looked at the house with all the Christmas decorations up. The perfect way to start the busy holiday season.
I love chicken and shrimp so I decided to use both in this soup. For the noodles I chose the kind you would find in Pad Thai. I cooked them ahead of time and placed them in the fridge. Most people will eat bean sprouts raw, but if I cannot find really fresh ones, I will slightly blanch mine and keep them in the fridge until ready to use. They still remain crisp.
Garnishes include roughly chopped Thai basil, limes, jalapeños and Sriracha sauce.
The soup cooks all day. Near the end you take out the chicken and shred it. While you are doing this place the shrimp and bok choy in the pot to cook. Add the shredded chicken back in….heat for a few minutes and it’s done.
Have your noodles ready in bowls, ladle the soup, garnish … and ENJOY!!
Vietnamese pho is such a tasty dish and this Simple Slow Cooker Pho makes it so easy to enjoy this flavourful meal at home. Packed with chicken, shrimp and spiced up with jalapeños and Sriracha, forget takeout … cook this dish yourself and save your money!!
For another great way to use your slow cooker try Extreme Pepper Chunky Chili
Simple Slow Cooker Pho
- 3 chicken breasts (skinless/boneless)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 star anise
- 1 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 6 cloves whole
- 3/4 pound frozen cooked shrimp (thawed/tail on)
- 8 baby bok choy (chopped)
- leaves Thai basil (roughly chopped)
- 1-2 jalapenos (sliced)
- 1 lime (quartered)
- Sriracha sauce (as needed)
- Pad Thai noodles (pre cooked)
- Fresh bean sprouts (raw or blanched)
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker
- Combine stock, fish sauce, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves, tamari, and brown sugar
- Pour over chicken breasts
- Cook on low for 9 hours
- Roughly chop bok choy
- Rinse and dry shrimp
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker along with spices
- Add bok choy and shrimp to pot
- Replace lid, turn slow cooker to high and cook for 30 minutes
- In the meantime, shred cooked chicken breasts
- Return shredded chicken to pot and heat for a few minutes
- Place noodles in bowls, ladle broth, garnish with jalapenos, basil, Sriracha and bean sprouts